Contribute
Register

USB port limit patch for 14.1, 14.2, 14.3, 14.5,14.6

Ok, just in case this can help someone else stuck on 10.14.4 - I've now applied the following patches using Clover Configurator, and in the left hand section going to "Kernel and Kext Patches" > "KextsToPatch", as well as downloading USBInjectAll under the "Kexts Installer" (in the left section), and I can now use my two front USB 3 ports again for the first time in a long while - so cautiously optimistic that this fixed it for me:

Mojave 10.14.4: (3 Patches)
  • Patch #1:
  • Name*: com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHostFamily
  • Find* [Hex]: 83FB0F0F 870B0400 00
  • Replace* [Hex] : 83FB3F0F 870B0400 00
  • Comment: USB Port Limit Patch 1 ©PMHeart
  • MatchOS: 10.14.4
  • Patch #2:
  • Name*: com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBXHCI
  • Find* [Hex]: 4183FF0F 0F839404 0000
  • Replace* [Hex] : 4183FF3F 0F839404 0000
  • Comment: USB Port Limit Patch 2 ©PMHeart
  • Patch #3:
  • Name*: com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHostFamily
  • Find* [Hex]: 83E30FD3 E34109DF
  • Replace* [Hex] : 83E33FD3 E34109DF
  • Comment: USB Port Limit Patch 3 ©PMHeart

Remember, if you create your own SSDT or USBPorts.kext to configure your USB ports, you will not need a port-limit removal patch.

:thumbup:

Thanks @UtterDisbelief, I have no doubts that is the "proper" way to do it. But it seemed more involved than what I was able to allocate time for - I took my chances on the other approach, with my backup SSD ready in hand just in case things went south :lol:
So far, so good (knock on wood!)

Last edited:
Out of interest the byte sequences searched for and replaced in the 10.14.6 PLRPs are no longer present in IOUSBFamily. I believe this may be due to the latest Security Updates.

To up the thread and clear things for myself.

Running latest Mojave build with all security patches applied. Everything works fine, all ports including monitors ones (I've got 2 USB2.0 on one and 2 USB3.0 on the other) are detectable and usable as well as mobo's. But I don't have USBInjectAll.kext neither in E/C/O nor L/E. I've tried to install it via Hackintool - it doesn't load at boot and doesn't affect performance.

The only patch I've used it is the one to rename smth in config.plst via Multibeast God knows when.

So: do I really need it or should I leave the config as it is?

P.S. Planning on moving to Big Sur after serious hardware upgrade in favor of i9 10900K but I'm an absolute newbie messing around with OpenCore as I stick to Clover like forever since Chameleon.

To up the thread and clear things for myself.

Running latest Mojave build with all security patches applied. Everything works fine, all ports including monitors ones (I've got 2 USB2.0 on one and 2 USB3.0 on the other) are detectable and usable as well as mobo's. But I don't have USBInjectAll.kext neither in E/C/O nor L/E. I've tried to install it via Hackintool - it doesn't load at boot and doesn't affect performance.

The only patch I've used it is the one to rename smth in config.plst via Multibeast God knows when.

So: do I really need it or should I leave the config as it is?

P.S. Planning on moving to Big Sur after serious hardware upgrade in favor of i9 10900K but I'm an absolute newbie messing around with OpenCore as I stick to Clover like forever since Chameleon.

Hi there.

If you are planning to upgrade to Big Sur then you should create a USBPorts.kext, instead of using a PLRP, as this method has been broken since Big Sur 11.3.

You can use the USBPorts.kext with either Clover or OpenCore, but I would recommend diving into OpenCore, going forward.

USBPort Guide

:)

Back