RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Xserve
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Does Catalina still have the 15 USB port limit as per Mojave, High Sierra etc?

I am using a custom SSDT currently but just wondering if I'll still need it when 10.15 is released or if I try the beta.

Cheers.

I am not using full SSDT. Just a few patches in Clover for USB.

The 15 port limit is still a Mac (hardware) thing. If you already have a SSDT for your MB USB ports, you are good to go for Catalina. The port limit patches are only used to identify all your ports to make the SSDT, then should be removed once that is done.
I made my SSDT under El Cap, no USB issues at all upgrading all the way to Catalina Public Beta.

I am not using full SSDT. Just a few patches in Clover for USB.

I prefer the SSDT for stability - the patches can cause the odd problem or two.

The 15 port limit is still a Mac (hardware) thing. If you already have a SSDT for your MB USB ports, you are good to go for Catalina. The port limit patches are only used to identify all your ports to make the SSDT, then should be removed once that is done.
I made my SSDT under El Cap, no USB issues at all upgrading all the way to Catalina Public Beta.

I have used the SSDT for about a year now (and dumped the PL patch), it makes updates so much easier. I was hoping that they might remove this arbitrary limit so that I could use all my ports as they are without having to disable any with the SSDT.

No such luck I'm afraid, Apple wants you to use Thunderbolt instead of USB. I doubt they will will ever change the way they support USB. Look at the New Mac Pro, doesn't even have USB 3.1 ports. Most hacks have 3.1 at least now, newer MB are offering 3.1 Gen 2 USB-C now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back