Contribute
Register

USB oddities and sleep problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been doing some more fiddling about. I can run the memory at 1500 without wake issues. If I drop the memory multiplier to 8x, I can crank the base clock up well over 160 before having wake issues - but I did have them at 180 (this put the memory at 1440). Of course, neither memtest nor Prime95 torture test seem to have problems at any of these settings, it's just waking from sleep that's an issue. I wish the i5 had a 12x multiplier available so I could run the memory at 1600 and keep the base at 133 and see what happens.

I'm going through the memory article on Tom's right now - so far, most of that information is stuff I've already discovered. Once the CL7 memory gets here, I'll report back with more findings. Even if it turns out that I still can't get the memory to run at 1600 without wake issues, I should have slightly better overall performance with the CL7 than I would have with the CL9. I'm just going to run it as fast as it will go without problems and be done with it.

On my motherboard, enabling XMP did cause all the advanced features to be treated as "Disabled" when set to "Auto", but it did not disable any of the frequency or voltage adjustments.

Incidentally, disabling the USB 3.0 didn't make a whit of difference.

@Stork

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/27254 ... tting-p55m

bilbat gives bios instructions for overclocking your MB and cpu.

GA-P55M-UD2
Intel i5-750 x20mult 2.66GHz .65-1.4V Core B1 sSpec SLBLC CPUID 106E5h

>>>>>Standard Clock Control
"Base Clock (BCLK) Control" to "Enabled"
"BCLK Frequency (MHz)" to "180"
"PCI Express Frequency (MHz)" to "101" (not auto)

SH: I saw a screenshot where the PCI Express frequency was set a auto, so this differs.
You would probably want to change the 6x memory multiplier value he used.

ShavenYak said:
I've been doing some more fiddling about. I can run the memory at 1500 without wake issues. If I drop the memory multiplier to 8x, I can crank the base clock up well over 160 before having wake issues - but I did have them at 180 (this put the memory at 1440). ... Once the CL7 memory gets here, I'll report back with more findings. Even if it turns out that I still can't get the memory to run at 1600 without wake issues, I should have slightly better overall performance with the CL7 than I would have with the CL9. I'm just going to run it as fast as it will go without problems and be done with it.

On my motherboard, enabling XMP did cause all the advanced features to be treated as "Disabled" when set to "Auto", but it did not disable any of the frequency or voltage adjustments.

Lnx2Mac, who also writes professional documentation, has a SL guide for memory and bios and great pictures.

http://lnx2mac.blogspot.com/2010/07/opt ... ation.html
It's important to enable all Advanced CPU Core features. As, once we started tweaking, the BIOS might Disable some settings if we leave them at [Auto]." ...

Lnx2Mac gave some advice about an i5-750 which may be relevant to XMP and Turbo.

Anonymous said...

Hey Great Blog! Thanks for the Realtek driver too!
I've read in other places that intel turbo boost can actually dramatically slow down a Hackint0sh. I have an i5 750 USB3 rev2 with 8g of 1600 ripjaws. Do byou think Turboboost would be good for me to run?

-------------------------------------

Lnx2Mac: @SXBB: Thanks for your comment !

Regarding TurboBoost, as long as you are not overclocking, there shouldn't be any adverse effect to it.

But don't take my word for it...
Record your current settings, benchmark, and try with other sets of values... Experiment !... ;)

Note that as you are using an i5-750, to get the RAM to run at 1600MHz, XMP is slightly overclocking your CPU.
So it will be interesting to see which results you can achieve... Please report back.

Good Luck,
Lnx2Mac
January 4, 2011 12:02 PM

-------------------------------------------

SH: So I think it might be worth trying to enable XMP again then disable TurboBoost if you haven't already tried that .... and [10x @ 160]?

My CL7D modules finally made it (darn Egg Saver shipping is ludicrously slow - the package has to go through UPS and the USPS to get here, passing through Atlanta on its way from California to Birmingham). I reset the memory settings in the BIOS to default, then loaded the XMP profile, and am running at 1600, and my sleep and wake are working perfectly through a few test cycles. I still need to hook up the camcorder and copy some big AVCHD files over USB to see if that's OK, but I don't expect any surprises there - so far every time my wake has been working right, the USB has been fine too.

Next experiment is to try one of the Sony bluray burners in place of this LG and see if that will let auto-sleep work!

ShavenYak said:
My CL7D modules finally made it (darn Egg Saver shipping is ludicrously slow - the package has to go through UPS and the USPS to get here, passing through Atlanta on its way from California to Birmingham). I reset the memory settings in the BIOS to default, then loaded the XMP profile, and am running at 1600, and my sleep and wake are working perfectly through a few test cycles. I still need to hook up the camcorder and copy some big AVCHD files over USB to see if that's OK, but I don't expect any surprises there - so far every time my wake has been working right, the USB has been fine too. {earlier: I've found a workaround for the slow transfers from the camcorder - it works fine plugged into one of the USB3 ports.}

Next experiment is to try one of the Sony bluray burners in place of this LG and see if that will let auto-sleep work!

I am pleased by your news! Doesn't one expect a faster transfer rate from USB3 than USB 2.0? I haven't gotten a bluray burner yet but I think the Sony is a good choice from what I hear (you were in that thread). It took 10 weeks for my rebate checks to arrive from Corsair, one for PSU and one for Memory, but they did come.

I've just begun dabbling with video editing. I chose Adobe After Effects CS5 64-bit because I hadn't learned FCP first. I have 12GB of ram, but I've seen recommendations to use 24GB of ram for rendering, which is why I now wish I bought 4GB modules. I hope you let us know how the Sony Bluray burner works. I for one, am thinking about a bluray burner, or an SSD for my next toy.

EDIT: http://www.blurayfreak.com/bluray_burners/ Portable LaCie USB
"It's powered via a USB 2.0 cable and will read and write most Blu-ray, DVD and CD discs including dual layer types, writing at speeds of 4x and 6x for BD-Rs. It's compatible with both Windows and Mac operating systems and comes with Cyberlink Blu-ray Disc Suite software."

SH: I've seen some USB3 blu-ray burners which are backward compatible with USB 2.0 which are more expensive but look forward to the next computer upgrade. I read that Macs can write blu-ray, but not play it(?).

Well, for a bit after my last happy post I continued to have less obvious problems, such as weird system instabilities after waking up from sleep. I actually got hold of an extra SATA drive and installed Windows XP, and was able to recreate the issues there as well, so it's not an OS X issue. After much more research, I began to suspect the automatic configuration features of the motherboard. I have now disabled XMP entirely and set the BCLK to 160 and set the memory timings and voltages manually, and seem to be much more stable (the computer is doing better too ;) ). I'm getting lower CPU temps at idle, even though I've left the core multiplier at 21 and thus the machine is overclocked to 3.36 GHz (speedstep is working properly, and dropping it to about half that when truly idle; that didn't seem to work right when the board was auto-configuring everything). My Geekbench score is also noticeably improved. I plan to do a Prime95 torture test at these settings when I get a better cooler; I aborted one earlier when the core temps got over 80C.

After Stork posted that he had symptoms on his other OS, Windows and Ubuntu, I thought it would likely be bios settings since the bios controls behavior for all of the OS. I tried XMP on my mobo and then disabled it. iirc, the default voltages from XMP were DDR = 1.65 and the QPI? voltage was 1.15, a difference of .50. I read that it was dangerous to have a voltage differential that exceeded .50, so I disabled XMP. A computer is not an abstract black box mental space, but has real physical components. An electric heater that always runs on high does not last as long as one then runs on medium = higher voltages shorten ram and cpu life. This link has more information about the physical aspect of ram voltages than you probably want to know. http://www.akkadia.org/drepper/cpumemory.pdf

So manual overclocking seems the best approach especially when your cpu and mobo might present a challenge to 1600 ram. Perhaps on the Overclocking forum, that may be the best venue to reach hackintoshers who have gotten 1600 speed ram with an i5 cpu and/or your mobo. I think the timings are a matter of trial and error, not necessarily 9-9-9-24 Good Luck

EDIT: Removed remark about acquiring the G.skill Eco ram.

Interesting findings. I'll have to investigate this weekend. I'm trying to avoid spending $$ for another set of memory. (I'm currently running G-Skill Ripjaws 1600 2x2x2G for a total of 8GB.)

I think the most economical approach is to try the Overclocking Forum. More than one guru person has stated that both of you must overclock with your mobos and especially the i5-760 cpus, in order to get your ram to 1600 speed. That's true even with different brands of ram. This thread in this forum is a little obscure now. Maybe the oddities will disappear once the ram is overclocked optimally ... I thought 1600 blck at at 10x was a good idea.

Anyway on the OC forum may new eyes which have succeeded in OCing i5-760 to a ram speed of 1600 will notice a post which focuses on OCing since that must be done, even if more steps are needed to clear up the oddities. I think I'm going to edit out that Eco ram idea, upon reflection it seems premature. I saw some nice pictures of your bios at,
http://www.jzelectronic.de/jz2/html/bio ... p#Advanced

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2 ... e-i5-750/1
Overclocking Intel's Core i5 750

Stephen_Harris said:
...I saw some nice pictures of your bios at,
http://www.jzelectronic.de/jz2/html/bio ... p#Advanced
LOL! I thought you said, "Bio's", rather than, "BIOS". So, I was very intrigued that my bio was on-line somewhere. So, I clicked on the link and saw the pictures of the MB's BIOS. Whew! :lol: ROTFL!

Anywho, thanks for that link. I'll add it to my to do list this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back