Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI GL63 9SDK
CPU
i7 9750H
Graphics
UHD630 + GTX 1660Ti
I've been trying to install macOS Monterey Public Beta but can't get the installer to boot due to usb errors ("Waiting for Root Device" or Prohibited Sign error.)
I've also tried to install Catalina, where the installer boots but usb still doesn't work. The touchpad works but can't click, neither does the keyboard work. (I can try to fix these issues when I have a working install but I first need USB to work for that).

Thinks I have already tried:
  1. Switching XhciPortLimit
  2. Switching ReleaseUsbOwnership
  3. With and without USBInjectAll.kext
  4. With and without XHCI-Unsupported.kext
  5. Switching XHCI Handoff in BIOS.
  6. Switching USB Port.
My Specs:
MSI GL63 9SDK
i7 9750H
HM370

OC version : 0.7.2

I have attached my EFI.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 209
You need to read and follow this guide on USB port configuration - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/the-new-beginners-guide-to-usb-port-configuration.286553/

If you follow the guide and set your hack's USB ports correctly you won't need any of the things you have tried.

Just make sure you have your Bios set correctly to run macOS before you start. Thes are the settings you should be using in your system:

Disable
  • Fast Boot
  • Secure Boot
  • Serial/COM Port/Super IO port
  • Parallel Port
  • VT-d
  • CSM
  • Thunderbolt
  • Intel SGX
  • Intel Platform Trust
  • CFG Lock (MSR 0xE2 write protection) This must be off, if you can't find the option then enable AppleXcpmCfgLock under Kernel -> Quirks. Your hack will not boot with CFG-Lock enabled
  • For 10.10 and older, you'll need to enable AppleCpuPmCfgLock as well
Enable
  • VT-x
  • Above 4G decoding
  • Hyper-Threading
  • Execute Disable Bit
  • EHCI/XHCI Hand-off
  • OS type: Windows 8.1/10 UEFI Mode
  • DVMT Pre-Allocated(iGPU Memory): 64MB
  • SATA Mode: AHCI
Your system may not have all these settings, some may be hidden within other settings, CSM and UEFI booting being the ones to spring to mind.

You will also need to make sure your Graphics options are set correctly, i.e. Intel graphics enabled, IGFX, IGPU, Internal set as default, so your UHD 630 is the priority graphics option. As your Nvidia GTX 1660 Ti card is not supported in any version of macOS.

I've been trying to install macOS Monterey Public Beta but can't get the installer to boot due to usb errors ("Waiting for Root Device" or Prohibited Sign error.)
I've also tried to install Catalina, where the installer boots but usb still doesn't work. The touchpad works but can't click, neither does the keyboard work. (I can try to fix these issues when I have a working install but I first need USB to work for that).

Thinks I have already tried:
  1. Switching XhciPortLimit
  2. Switching ReleaseUsbOwnership
  3. With and without USBInjectAll.kext
  4. With and without XHCI-Unsupported.kext
  5. Switching XHCI Handoff in BIOS.
  6. Switching USB Port.
My Specs:
MSI GL63 9SDK
i7 9750H
HM370

OC version : 0.7.2

I have attached my EFI.
moved to Laptop Support

please add your intel graphics to your hardware profile please:

You need to read and follow this guide on USB port configuration - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/the-new-beginners-guide-to-usb-port-configuration.286553/

If you follow the guide and set your hack's USB ports correctly you won't need any of the things you have tried.

Just make sure you have your Bios set correctly to run macOS before you start. Thes are the settings you should be using in your system:

Disable
  • Fast Boot
  • Secure Boot
  • Serial/COM Port/Super IO port
  • Parallel Port
  • VT-d
  • CSM
  • Thunderbolt
  • Intel SGX
  • Intel Platform Trust
  • CFG Lock (MSR 0xE2 write protection) This must be off, if you can't find the option then enable AppleXcpmCfgLock under Kernel -> Quirks. Your hack will not boot with CFG-Lock enabled
  • For 10.10 and older, you'll need to enable AppleCpuPmCfgLock as well
Enable
  • VT-x
  • Above 4G decoding
  • Hyper-Threading
  • Execute Disable Bit
  • EHCI/XHCI Hand-off
  • OS type: Windows 8.1/10 UEFI Mode
  • DVMT Pre-Allocated(iGPU Memory): 64MB
  • SATA Mode: AHCI
Your system may not have all these settings, some may be hidden within other settings, CSM and UEFI booting being the ones to spring to mind.

You will also need to make sure your Graphics options are set correctly, i.e. Intel graphics enabled, IGFX, IGPU, Internal set as default, so your UHD 630 is the priority graphics option. As your Nvidia GTX 1660 Ti card is not supported in any version of macOS.
I can follow the entire procedure only if I can get my system to boot.
I'm pretty sure everything else works fine or at least that I can fix it. Only USB seems to be the issue.

Last edited:
I can follow the entire procedure only if I can get my system to boot.
I'm pretty sure everything else works fine or at least that I can fix it. Only USB seems to be the issue.

Hi there.

If you have not yet booted to Catalina (only the trackpad works for the installer) or Monterey (no USB devices at all) then how did you create your installer USB stick with macOS setup on it?

:)

Hi there.

If you have not yet booted to Catalina (only the trackpad works for the installer) or Monterey (no USB devices at all) then how did you create your installer USB stick with macOS setup on it?

:)
I have a working Monterey hackintosh on my pc.

I still have the same issue. No progress except I found that the keyboard is not working as it is connected via an internal USB.
Here is the relevant output from
Code:
dmesg | grep -i input
Code:
[    2.129896] input: SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad as /devices/platform/i8042/serio1/input/input6
[    2.646462] hid-generic 0003:1038:1122.0001: hiddev0,hidraw0: USB HID v1.11 Device [SteelSeries SteelSeries KLC] on usb-0000:00:14.0-9/input0
[    2.646735] input: SteelSeries SteelSeries KLC as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb1/1-9/1-9:1.1/0003:1038:1122.0002/input/input9
[    2.705706] hid-generic 0003:1038:1122.0002: input,hidraw1: USB HID v1.11 Device [SteelSeries SteelSeries KLC] on usb-0000:00:14.0-9/input1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back