Contribute
Register

USB Mapping

Status
Not open for further replies.
So as it came to be... USB port mapping that was done when I built/installed Catalina last summer broke with the new Big Sur 11.3 update. I am not sure if it can be fixed while in 11.3 because I booted into my backup clone of 11.2.3, then downloaded the latest Hackintool and USBInjectAll.kext and re-did mapping which now works for Big Sur 11.2.3, 11.3.1 and Catalina 10.15.7

Here is a step by step:
  • booted into 11.2.3
  • replaced in the OC EFI USBPorts.kext with USBInjectAll.kext
  • changed in the config.plist file XhciPortLimit to true
  • re-boot, re-set NVRAM
  • booted into 11.2.3 again
  • Ran Hackintool and did port mapping to generate a new file
  • replaced in the OC EFI USBInjectAll.kext with NEW USBPorts.kext
  • changed in the config.plist file XhciPortLimit to false
  • re-boot, re-set NVRAM
  • booted normally into 11.2.3 and 11.3.1 (also Catalina 10.15.7)
  • Checked ports with thumb drive and made sure the disabled ports are actually off
For me this is working now.

Hi, I managed to fix my USBs, I fixed the boot warnings also. In order to fix the boot warnings I had to re-build my config file, as it was really old, and I had updated all the other OC files but not the config and it does change.

I still have the freezing problem, and no idea what really causes it, all i have seen is that it's wakeups related, nothing to add to that. Stil working on the Ubuntu multiboot, I found a very detailed guide that requires some navigating of the uefi shell, but seems very thorough and will give it a try. Thanks everyone for the help, it's getting better.

i have wakeups crashes caused by pycharm, mdsync and firefox.

Will keep looking for a solution.

So as it came to be... USB port mapping that was done when I built/installed Catalina last summer broke with the new Big Sur 11.3 update. I am not sure if it can be fixed while in 11.3 because I booted into my backup clone of 11.2.3, then downloaded the latest Hackintool and USBInjectAll.kext and re-did mapping which now works for Big Sur 11.2.3, 11.3.1 and Catalina 10.15.7

Here is a step by step:
  • booted into 11.2.3
  • replaced in the OC EFI USBPorts.kext with USBInjectAll.kext
  • changed in the config.plist file XhciPortLimit to true
  • re-boot, re-set NVRAM
  • booted into 11.2.3 again
  • Ran Hackintool and did port mapping to generate a new file
  • replaced in the OC EFI USBInjectAll.kext with NEW USBPorts.kext
  • changed in the config.plist file XhciPortLimit to false
  • re-boot, re-set NVRAM
  • booted normally into 11.2.3 and 11.3.1 (also Catalina 10.15.7)
  • Checked ports with thumb drive and made sure the disabled ports are actually off
For me this is working now.

Do you have Sleep? I've rebuilt my PortKext but upon sleep, the machine wakes right back up. Worked fine pre-11.3.x

Do you have Sleep? I've rebuilt my PortKext but upon sleep, the machine wakes right back up. Worked fine pre-11.3.x

Hi there.

The USB problems caused by Big Sur updates recently are not so fine-grained as to cause one port to work differently to before. They either work or don't.

Maybe upload your USBPorts.kext so it can be checked?

:thumbup:

bonfilio124​

Sleep tested and works fine here but I rarely use it.

I solved the freezing problem, I reset Bios defaults, instead of using recommended settings, one of the settings must have been generating some conflict.

So:
USB fixed
Freezing fixed
OC boot fixed - rebuilt config file

Pending:
Ubuntu boot

Still to solve the Ubuntu boot issue, I have tried to boot it on its own and it works fine, but on OC it gives the problem in the photo. I think I will try reinstall Ubuntu and see how that goes, nothing critical yet in Ubuntu.

Thanks everyone for the help so far.

Manolo

I think I'll have to reset BIOS as well, cause after one of the recent reboots system became instable and is freezing every few minutes after booting up.

USB ports are limited properly now, but WiFi on the add-on card stops working very quickly. Bluetooth on the same card keeps working!

I think it's to do with power management settings in BIOS. On my Aourus Pro Z390 the options to disable power management are greyed out now - never seen this before. Will re-flash BIOS and reset settings.

I did the same, I reflashed BIOS and that helped make the system more stable, can't understand why, but it did.

Long story short, I updated to latest Big Sur, a lot of things broke. USBs would not work, and stability was lost. At some point the system started crashing very often and in one of those crashes two drives got user password locks, I never use BIOS passwords, much less HDD passwords. I managed to unlock one, but still working on the other one, looking for professional help actually, it was my Plex library so it is a big hit it the drive is lost.
I mapped the USBs per above, rebuilt the config file, and even then there were still some freezes, but not often at all.

So I reflashed BIOS and changed the GPU, so far no problems, it's been about two weeks and everything seems very stable. GPU now is an AMD Radeon Pro WX 4100, and reset all settings to OC recommendations.

Hopefully this setup can take another update.

Are there any news on a new OS from Apple ?? They are updating almost every year.

Thanks a lot for your update. I'm staying on the same RX580 8GB.
BIOS reset and power management disabled, but still freezes - they clearly started with 11.3.x updates, and are present here even after 11.4 upgrade.

I simplified USB ports (disconnected a few internal things) and USBports.kext gives me 11 ports now - and still I get WiFi dropping and PC freezing. Maybe it's time for a reinstall (last 2 upgrades have been in-place upgrades).

Let me know how that goes if you reinstall. Maybe I’ll do the same. Mail crashed las night, first time, but all the ghosts came back to haunt !! I wonder when the next is will come out and how viable for hacking it will be .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back