Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I have created a USB Mavericks installer with the latest Unibeast. Created three different ones, some twice. None will boot my machine (description in signature). I get this error:

Reboot and select proper boot device
or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key

I have put the Toshiba memory stick as the first boot device in BIOS and used F12 to select it to boot from but I keep getting the same message. I've even tried different USB ports.

This machine does boot and run with the SSD attached or if I boot to another internal drive (all of which are disconnected currently). But it has never booted from USB for me. (I didn't build it.) It came with a USB installer that the builder says he used to install OS X Mavericks but I could not get the machine to boot to his either.

This would not be a big deal except that I have to change some of the drivers used and I know of no other way besides using Multibeast on a fresh installation.

All internal drives are disconnected from SATA. I even disconnected the optical drive. Nothing helps. I get that message every time. One curiosity is that when I review boot options to select a boot drive, there are five "Generic STORAGE DEVICE 0551" items in the list. I don't know if this is important to not. I made sure that the USB stick and optical drive (when it was connected) preceded the generic devices in the list but it was no help.

The USB drive does show up in the list from which I select a boot drive using F12. It just results in the error message.

I've double checked that the drive is formatted Master Boot Record. The single partition is FAT32.

Note too that I'm a Mac guy normally (and a Sun Microsystems sys admin in a former life) but have little knowledge of Windows and PC type hardware, so BIOS and such is still a bit of a mystery. Safest to assume that I know very little.

What am I missing/misunderstanding/doing wrong? And where can I specify a boot option when trying to boot from USB? Someone elsewhere recommended another person use "-x" when booting. How would one do that?

I have created a USB Mavericks installer with the latest Unibeast. Created three different ones, some twice. None will boot my machine (description in signature). I get this error:

Reboot and select proper boot device
or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key

I have put the Toshiba memory stick as the first boot device in BIOS and used F12 to select it to boot from but I keep getting the same message. I've even tried different USB ports.

This machine does boot and run with the SSD attached or if I boot to another internal drive (all of which are disconnected currently). But it has never booted from USB for me. (I didn't build it.) It came with a USB installer that the builder says he used to install OS X Mavericks but I could not get the machine to boot to his either.

This would not be a big deal except that I have to change some of the drivers used and I know of no other way besides using Multibeast on a fresh installation.

All internal drives are disconnected from SATA. I even disconnected the optical drive. Nothing helps. I get that message every time. One curiosity is that when I review boot options to select a boot drive, there are five "Generic STORAGE DEVICE 0551" items in the list. I don't know if this is important to not. I made sure that the USB stick and optical drive (when it was connected) preceded the generic devices in the list but it was no help.

The USB drive does show up in the list from which I select a boot drive using F12. It just results in the error message.

I've double checked that the drive is formatted Master Boot Record. The single partition is FAT32.

Note too that I'm a Mac guy normally (and a Sun Microsystems sys admin in a former life) but have little knowledge of Windows and PC type hardware, so BIOS and such is still a bit of a mystery. Safest to assume that I know very little.

What am I missing/misunderstanding/doing wrong? And where can I specify a boot option when trying to boot from USB? Someone elsewhere recommended another person use "-x" when booting. How would one do that?
Try disabling secure boot in the bios options and turn on legacy usb mode and disable xhci do not use any usb hubs and try to use only usb 2.0 if its an option for you also if you make the unibeast installer drive on a GUID partition table it should still work rather than doing it on an MBR although its recommend to use the MBR but its something you can try

Now you have to at least make it to the chimera boot screen to enter any boot flags such as safe mode -x

Why FAT32 ?

The Guide says choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) in Step 2 Part 9.

Good Luck

Why FAT32 ?

The Guide says choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) in Step 2 Part 9.

Good Luck
Yeah I don't think unibeast will even allow you to choose a fat32 partition so I'm completely lost on that one I just thought maybe he/she needed it for some kind of file sharing

Yeah I don't think unibeast will even allow you to choose a fat32 partition so I'm completely lost on that one I just thought maybe he/she needed it for some kind of file sharing
Apparently, it will, 'cause that's what's been happening here.

Having corrected the partition type, when I try to boot to it now I get an "EBIOS" error. a 031, I think.

Having corrected the partition type, when I try to boot to it now I get an "EBIOS" error. a 031, I think.

Do you have a card reader ?

Go into your BIOS and set each and every instance of your card reader to CD ROM or Floppy Disk Drive.

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back