Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce 960
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
[SOLVED] USB installer reboots during loading

Hello all! So for various reasons I have been wanting to reinstall OS X on my system, but I'm having some issues I haven't seen before.

I would like to be clear before I start though. I have previously installed OS X on this system, in fact I am running it right now, but I have swapped GPU's from an EVGA Nvidia GeForce 740 to a Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce 960 since my last install. After the swap my system booted up fine and I've had no issues, but I do understand that it could be a factor in all this.

What I am seeing:
- When plugged into my front USB port, once the progress bar under the Apple logo gets to about 2/3 of the way my PC reboots.
-- Running in verbose doesn't show me anything useful, or reboots before I can see anything.

- When plugged in to the back USB ports directly on the mobo, once the progress bar gets to the same point the Apple logo turns into a circle with a line through it and freezes.
-- Running in verbose doesn't help here either, as all output is scrambled when we hit the same point and the same circle with a line through it is displayed over the scrambled text.

What I have done:
- Tried every USB port
- Safe mode from clover
- No injected kexts mode from clover
- Reformat my flash drive
- Redownload the OS X installer from the Mac App Store
- Optimized defaults in my BIOS and set all necessary settings

BIOS Settings:
- Optimized defaults
- Disabled Vt-d
- Disabled Secure Boot

Does anyone have any ideas before I start unplugging my GPU? If unplugging my GPU is necessary in order to install OS X then will there be an issue with plugging it back in after the install?

GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD5H
Intel Core i7 4790K
Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce 960

Have you tried booting with nv_disable=1 ?

I saw this as I was leaving for work and only got one chance to try it. I'm newer to clover (used Chimera for quite a while) and I added the nv_disable=1 boot args to the options in clover (which I believe was the proper thing to do) and I booted with the USB port in the back of my computer (simply because it was still there from my last attempt) and I got the same circle with a line through it. I will try the front port when I get home.

EDIT
nv_disable=1 allowed me to boot into the installer and install OS X successfully, thank you very much.

Can a mod mark this thread as solved?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back