Contribute
Register

USB Fixes

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're trying to get that feature into a future release of MultiBeast -- but as you've seen, there are so many techniques and boards that it may prove to be challenging.

That said, try this (for any 7/8/9-series boards -- not 5x or 6x or Skylake):
  1. Remove any USB fixes you've already tried
  2. Install FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext from the latest distribution here. Put them in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/... on your USB or system boot drive. If you're using the numbered directories (as UniBeast does), make sure to put them in both 10.10/ and 10.11/ ! (Or if you've previously removed numbered directories, put them in Other/ with any other kexts.) Reboot and...
  3. Profit!
  4. Oh, um, if that doesn't work, please report back. Our expectation is that you should only need additional fixes if using one of these SMBIOS system definitions: MacBookPro8,1 MacBookPro9,1 iMac13,1 iMac13,2 iMac13,3 MacPro6,1
  5. If it doesn't work the next step is (with those kexts in place) to add these two patches to EFI/CLOVER/config.plist on the same boot drive in ACPI/DSDT/Patches:
    Code:
        <key>ACPI</key>
        <dict>
            <key>DSDT</key>
            <dict>
                <key>Patches</key>
                <array>
                    <dict>
                        <key>Comment</key>
                        <string>change EHC1 to EH01</string>
                        <key>Find</key>
                        <data>RUhDMQ==</data>
                        <key>Replace</key>
                        <data>RUgwMQ==</data>
                    </dict>
                    <dict>
                        <key>Comment</key>
                        <string>change EHC2 to EH02</string>
                        <key>Find</key>
                        <data>RUhDMg==</data>
                        <key>Replace</key>
                        <data>RUgwMg==</data>
                    </dict>
                </array>
            </dict>
        </dict>
  6. Then reboot and try again.
  7. If that doesn't work, please report back.
  8. The next step is perhaps the XOSI patch, but I really hope we don't have to go there.

Note that if you want USB3 to work when first installing, you need to apply those kexts and potentially config.plist changes to the USB install drive after UniBeast creates it but before you use it.

My OSX and Hackintosh skills are limited, I have an ASUS Z97-a USB3.1 system with i7-4790k. All of my USB ports worked after 10.11.2 fresh install using Clover and UEFI. USB 3.0 devices show up as USB 3.0. But I have an Anker USB 3.0 hub that only shows as USB 2.0 hub after I plug it in. (Checked under system report) On a REAL MBP running 10.11.0, this hub shows up as 2 devices, USB2.0 and USB3.0. I tried copying FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext to 10.10 and 10.11 directories, but it didn't do anything. I wanted to follow the next step of changing EHC1 to EH01, but I don't really know how. My current file has these already:

Code:
<key>ACPI</key>
   <dict>
      <key>DSDT</key>
    <dict>

so where do I insert the lines in my file and what sections of the above do I need? I'm thinking adding right under:

Code:
        <key>DSDT</key>
        <dict>

Then add this whole section above bebug?

Code:
<key>Patches</key>
   <array>
      <dict>
         <key>Comment</key>
         <string>change EHC1 to EH01</string>
         <key>Find</key>
         <data>RUhDMQ==</data>
         <key>Replace</key>
         <data>RUgwMQ==</data>
      </dict>
      <dict>
         <key>Comment</key>
         <string>change EHC2 to EH02</string>
         <key>Find</key>
         <data>RUhDMg==</data>
         <key>Replace</key>
         <data>RUgwMg==</data>
      </dict>
   </array>

Someone reporting getting USB 3.0 to work after changing port limit from 15 to 20, although RehabMan said this isn't meant as permanent, I'd like to give it a try. Where do I change the port limit?

Hi,

I have an as rock z97e itx-ac and tried the kext fix. I know have USB 3 active and drives are mounted, but then eject spontaneously- usually after a few seconds. This board has intel hubs. Any ideas?

thanks
Steven

Ok I really don't know what else to do. From my previous post, I tried both Kext, I even tried adding USBInjectAll.kext to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts (not the one if I mount EFI using Clover) both 10.10 and 10.11 since I got nothing else to try. Didn't work. I tried changing EHC1 to EH01 by editing /EFI/CLOVER/config.plist in terminal, (not the one if I mount EFI using Clover) no dice. I also tried the 15 port limit to 20 port trick. Nothing worked. I now only have 1 working USB 3 port. Whereas before, sometimes they would all work at USB3 speed. Can a kind soul help me out?

Ok I really don't know what else to do. From my previous post, I tried both Kext, I even tried adding USBInjectAll.kext to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts (not the one if I mount EFI using Clover) both 10.10 and 10.11 since I got nothing else to try. Didn't work. I tried changing EHC1 to EH01 by editing /EFI/CLOVER/config.plist in terminal, (not the one if I mount EFI using Clover) no dice. I also tried the 15 port limit to 20 port trick. Nothing worked. I now only have 1 working USB 3 port. Whereas before, sometimes they would all work at USB3 speed. Can a kind soul help me out?

Comprehensive guide:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capitan-laptop-support/173616-guide-10-11-usb-changes-solutions.html

Thank you RehabMan for chiming in and the comprehensive write up. I feel like I have not done the DSDT patch properly. I just reinstalled 10.11.2 to get a fresh copy, but I've never done a DSDT patch before. Is there a guide somewhere that you can point me to the right direction? I looked at your MaciASL guide, but it assumes the user has some knowledge of DSDT. For me, I don't even know where the DSDT.aml file is located. The patch described by ammulder looked nothing like what MaciASL loaded from my system.

The only thing that looked close enough was the config.plist, which I used vim to add a section under ACPI, but it did nothing. I don't know if that is where I'm supposed to edit, or if it didn't work. So before trying the long way from your guide, which I understand probably 25% of it, I'd like to make sure I even did the short way correctly. I'm afraid my grey matter needs more directions before I can excise it.

Thank you RehabMan for chiming in and the comprehensive write up. I feel like I have not done the DSDT patch properly. I just reinstalled 10.11.2 to get a fresh copy, but I've never done a DSDT patch before. Is there a guide somewhere that you can point me to the right direction? I looked at your MaciASL guide, but it assumes the user has some knowledge of DSDT. For me, I don't even know where the DSDT.aml file is located. The patch described by ammulder looked nothing like what MaciASL loaded from my system.

The only thing that looked close enough was the config.plist, which I used vim to add a section under ACPI, but it did nothing. I don't know if that is where I'm supposed to edit, or if it didn't work. So before trying the long way from your guide, which I understand probably 25% of it, I'd like to make sure I even did the short way correctly. I'm afraid my grey matter needs more directions before I can excise it.

Easier to use config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/Patches for the EHCx->EH0x rename. Use a plist editor (such as Xcode or PlistEditPro and copy/paste).

Easier to use config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/Patches for the EHCx->EH0x rename. Use a plist editor (such as Xcode or PlistEditPro and copy/paste).

After going through the entire 35 page thread here: El capitan USB issues - possible fix. and this thread several times, I finally figured out how to use clover to add the patches. It was a simple as clicking the "+" sign... :rolleyes:

Then, I installed ioregistry explorer per various posts of yours and saw that I did indeed hit the 15 limit since all of the USB 2 working, but only 1 USB 3 working. So I added the -uia_exclude_hs kernel flag to clover and now everything works!

Thank you RehabMan for your all work on this matter. I know it can be a challenge having people (especially newbies like me) asking the same question over and over. But you continue to provide support, your contribution to the community cannot be overstated!

Happy Holidays!

Thank you everyone for the hard work!

If I boot my Hack my 4 blue/USB3.0 rear ports don't work. Nothing whatsoever (even USB2). After my Hack goes to sleep, when it wakes up those ports work fine.

Someone mentioned a similar issue in this thread but there weren't any replies to it.

Gigabyte Z97 Matx gaming 5 w/ 4790k.

PS: I've tried all of the fixes (kexts in Other, added the ACPI/DSDT/Patches bit, even tried the unsafe 15 port limit hack) and none of them have worked.

I was able to resolve my USB issues on my Series 9 Z97 (Asus Z97-A USB 3.1) motherboard by installing FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext [avail here] to /EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts and I've attached my config.plist for your reference - The specific trick was the -uia_exclude_xhc boot flag.

To be safe, I included the change EHC1 to EH01 and EHC to EH02 DSDT patches , as well as the change _OSI to XOSI [fixes included in the os-x-usb-inject-all repo]

Please see my config.plist attached. Perhaps this can be of some help to solve your Z97 issues.

I'd just like to note that I'm a bit of a Hackintosh noob and got lucky I suppose through trial and error, but I'm not very well equipped to answer any over technical questions. :p
View attachment config.plist

I was able to resolve my USB issues on my Series 9 Z97 (Asus Z97-A USB 3.1) motherboard by installing FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext [avail here] to /EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts and I've attached my config.plist for your reference - The specific trick was the -uia_exclude_xhc boot flag.

To be safe, I included the change EHC1 to EH01 and EHC to EH02 DSDT patches , as well as the change _OSI to XOSI [fixes included in the os-x-usb-inject-all repo]

Please see my config.plist attached. Perhaps this can be of some help to solve your Z97 issues.

I'd just like to note that I'm a bit of a Hackintosh noob and got lucky I suppose through trial and error, but I'm not very well equipped to answer any over technical questions. :p
View attachment 171177

Keep in mind with the _OSI->XOSI patch, you also need the SSDT-HACK.aml that implements the XOSI method. Otherwise, calls to XOSI (originally _OSI) fail/abort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back