Contribute
Register

USB Fixes

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I tried this part first. The KEXTs are installed as directed, and the SMBIOS definition is MacPro3,1.
So at this point I'm pretty sure the problem is the old AS2105-based docks.

Just for the record, which system was it that you used in this report?

And I'm not familiar with the AS2015-based docks, but if everything else works... I'm also inclined to think the problem is with them.

I was losing it yesterday when I tried to understand this guide.

That guide covers many possible scenarios for all boards. It is expected that most boards will work with a subset of the solutions proposed, even if non-optimally.

That guide covers many possible scenarios for all boards. It is expected that most boards will work with a subset of the solutions proposed, even if non-optimally.

yes, I know. But nevertheless it was very hard for me to understand what I had to do because it was quite late here. Thanks for helping me anyways, I must have been rather annoying yesterday, but you helped to get me a little bit more into Clover. It's really new to me and I'm confronted with a steep learning curve

As a final report, I purchased a new USB 3.0 drive dock-- a KingWin EZ-Dock Model EZD-2535U3, specifically-- and it works perfectly.

So many if not most of my El Capitan USB 3 problems were caused by a simple incompatibility with an old ASMedia USB 3.0 interface chip as used in the older 2011-era docks I had around. Mind you, these same docks worked perfectly under Yosemite and earlier, so there's that. But when you switch to El Capitan, you may well have compatibility problems with old USB 3 devices.

Are the fixes mentioned in this thread only for Gigabyte motherboards or are they generic?

I'm using Asus H97i-Plus and one of my two front USB 3 ports is registered as a USB 2 port. USB 3 devices connected to it is not recognize. I'm only using the front ports so I haven't event tested the back ports and it's not important for me to have them working as USB 3.

I've tried to:

1) Install FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext to EFI/CLOVER/kexts. Tried to put them in 10.10 and 10.11, only in "Other" and also in all three directories.
2) Added the patch to
EFI/CLOVER/config.plist to rename EHC1/EHC2 to EH01/EH02
3) Added
SSDT-XOSI.aml to EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched according to http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capitan-desktop-support/172337-el-capitan-usb-issues-possible-fix.html
4) Installed
FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext to System's Extensions folder.
5) Tested system definition 14.1 and 15.1 (was running 15.1 on Yosemite).

I've restarted between the changes and tried different combinations of them. But one of the from ports are still recognized and used as a USB 2.0 port only. Any one have any suggestion what I can test?

Are the fixes mentioned in this thread only for Gigabyte motherboards or are they generic?

I'm using Asus H97i-Plus and one of my two front USB 3 ports is registered as a USB 2 port. USB 3 devices connected to it is not recognize. I'm only using the front ports so I haven't event tested the back ports and it's not important for me to have them working as USB 3.

I've tried to:

1) Install FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext to EFI/CLOVER/kexts. Tried to put them in 10.10 and 10.11, only in "Other" and also in all three directories.
2) Added the patch to
EFI/CLOVER/config.plist to rename EHC1/EHC2 to EH01/EH02
3) Added
SSDT-XOSI.aml to EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched according to http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capitan-desktop-support/172337-el-capitan-usb-issues-possible-fix.html
4) Installed
FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext to System's Extensions folder.
5) Tested system definition 14.1 and 15.1 (was running 15.1 on Yosemite).

I've restarted between the changes and tried different combinations of them. But one of the from ports are still recognized and used as a USB 2.0 port only. Any one have any suggestion what I can test?

SSDT-XOSI.aml only has an effect with the _OSI->XOSI patch.

See details here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capitan-laptop-support/173616-guide-10-11-usb-changes-solutions.html

After additional testing I found out that I didn't need to change EHCx to EX0x or use FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext/FakePCIID.kext.

My issues was the port limit when set to 15. After applying the "change 15 port limit to 20 in XHCI kext (9-series)" fix my ports are recognizing both the USB 2.0 and 3.0 devices. At least my front ports, but they are the only ones I'm using so I haven't bothered testing the back ports.

After additional testing I found out that I didn't need to change EHCx to EX0x or use FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext/FakePCIID.kext.

My issues was the port limit when set to 15. After applying the "change 15 port limit to 20 in XHCI kext (9-series)" fix my ports are recognizing both the USB 2.0 and 3.0 devices. At least my front ports, but they are the only ones I'm using so I haven't bothered testing the back ports.

Keep in mind the port limit patch is not recommended for long term use...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back