ATI 6850
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,
Everyone must be aware of the issue where external hard drives or usb sticks are not ejected properly when the Hackintosh goes to sleep. Every time I used to wake up the system i use to get a nasty message "The disk was not ejected properly. If possible, always eject a disk before unplugging it or turning it off".

This problem has been there ever since i have started using Hackintosh in 2011.

Today after a long time i googled about this problem again and found out that ppl did find a temporary solution to fix this problem by using a software to eject the drives before the system goes off to sleep and mounting them back again when system wakes up... but these posts are in legacy tonymac so I thought I ll bring this topic up in ML and give a solution to my fellow Hackintosh users.

I am using this solution on Mountain lion now and it works just perfect.

To solve this problem;
1. First make your existing hard drives appear as internal... under "About This Mac" go to "Storage" and verify if your HDD is appearing as internal. Usually in a hackintosh it appears as an external disk. So if this is the case with you just install 3rd Party SATA kext from Multibeast->Driver->Disk->3rd Party SATA .
Make sure u delete IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector kext if you are using it to make your disks appear as internal, cause it is just a cosmetic change to the icons. Moreover It will not be required anymore. Restart you system and confirm if the drives have started appearing as internal.

2. Now download and install a small app named "Jettison" from app store. Though it is a paid ($1.99) but the app is totally worth it!. Pls Buy.

3. Launch Jettison preferences and select "Eject External Disks Before sleep" and you are good to go.

Now put the Hackintosh to sleep and test.... No more error messages on the screen to eject the disk properly, Yeah!

I hope this post ll help a lot of users like me.

Cheers!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-09-09 at 12.21.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-09-09 at 12.21.36 PM.png
    82.6 KB · Views: 1,061
  • Screen Shot 2012-09-09 at 12.22.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-09-09 at 12.22.31 PM.png
    108.2 KB · Views: 842
Thank you, it works. Does the app just eject the disk before sleep and does not mount it automatically upon awake ?

Jettison ejects usb before sleep automatically and mounts usb back when system wakes up.

it does eject but does not mount when wake for me....

it does eject but does not mount when wake for me....

Its strange but m sure this must be system related thing. I would suggest u do some trouble shooting like changing usb stick or try diff. port.
Also reffer to Jettison help.
I have tried this on lion and ml it works for me, w/o any sp. settings.

But does this at all solve the problem for backup? I find the only reason I have an external USB is for backup purposes, so if it's ejecting before it gets to do the backup then this won't do much for myself at least.

But does this at all solve the problem for backup? I find the only reason I have an external USB is for backup purposes, so if it's ejecting before it gets to do the backup then this won't do much for myself at least.

i do not understand what you are trying to say.... well as far as i can understand from your ques is you are thinking that it ejects the drive before backup whereas it doesnt have anything to do with backup. It ll eject the drive before your system goes off to sleep not before it starts making backup.

I also use ext. HDD for backup and backup works just fine whether you do whats there in this post or no.

I hope it helps.

Cheers!

Thanks,
works great! :D
a0down

I have the same problem. It ejects, which is good, but the disk doesn't reattach after wakeup. It's a Seagate FreeAgent Pro. Maybe it's a disk-related issue. I find I have to power cycle the disk before it will reattach.

I didn't install 3rd party SATA like you did to make the disk appear as internal. Why did you have to do that? It doesn't appear in the Jettison instructions. Jettison is made to eject external disks.

I have the same problem. It ejects, which is good, but the disk doesn't reattach after wakeup. It's a Seagate FreeAgent Pro. Maybe it's a disk-related issue. I find I have to power cycle the disk before it will reattach.

I didn't install 3rd party SATA like you did to make the disk appear as internal. Why did you have to do that? It doesn't appear in the Jettison instructions. Jettison is made to eject external disks.

This problem is related to your particular system. I have a Seagate Go Flex 2 TB drive on my USB 3.0 port, which gets ejected and mounted back automatically. The reason why you need to make your drives internal is because jettison ejects only external drives and you would not like to eject your bootable drives.

Do make ur internal drives appear as internal and then try again. If it doesn't work then try another drive like pen drive on a different port. I am sure it ll work. Also install the drivers/kext that come with Seagate drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back