Contribute
Register

USB drives Not Properly Ejected on wake from sleep. [Yet another solution but this one is free!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi... thanks for this. It seems to be working... I had previously tried:

https://github.com/syscl/Fix-usb-sleep

It worked BEFORE I fixed my audio after wake problem... then it stopped working. I installed your app... and it works... but it's a bit of a strange process:

• The computer goes to sleep.
  • The fan starts running and the computer wakes itself back up immediately
  • It sits on the login screen for a few seconds
  • It puts itself BACK to sleep after a few seconds
  • The hard drive light flashes away as if the disk is doing something

Any thoughts on what the issue might be? Thanks!

This script works great for me as well. I updated the script to include disk0 in grep since, for some reason, disk0 turned into Time Machine backup USB drive. I can understand why this restriction was put into place, though. @BillG66, I believe your problem is wake from USB/bluetooth - use the power button.

<Comment deleted>

Last edited:
Will this script take care of my "computer restarts instantly after shutdown if anything is connected to the usb ports"-issue?

This script works great for me as well. I updated the script to include disk0 in grep since, for some reason, disk0 turned into Time Machine backup USB drive. I can understand why this restriction was put into place, though. @BillG66, I believe your problem is wake from USB/bluetooth - use the power button.

Thanks, Jared 151, for the guidance. I updated to the latest version of Fix-usb-sleep-master from Github and installed it. When I put the computer to sleep manually, it works like a charm. When I let it go to sleep by itself, and come back an hour or so later, it still works like a charm. When I leave it overnight, however, it somehow wakes itself up several times and displays a “failed to eject properly” message. There’s usually about 6 of those messages when I get back to my computer in the morning. Is there some log that can be checked to see what’s going on? Is it a darkwake setting thing? I’m ready to try anything… thanks. Oh, and I’m now on 10.12.2. Just haven’t updated by sig yet.

So, it’s a mystery. Changed Darkwake setting to 8, rebooted, and the let the machine go to sleep. Came back two days later, pressed the power button to wake it up, and no “Disk Ejected Improperly” messages. Figured I had the problem solved. Then two days later I come back, not having rebooted or changing any settings, and I see the machine has again woken itself up and there were about 6 “Disk Not Ejected Properly” messages. L Any idea what would cause this kind of randomness… and, more importantly, how I might fix it? Again, I’m using the latest version of the GitHub Fix-USB-Sleep-master script, and I’m on macOS Sierra 10.12.2.

My external drive is also in disk0. Could you explain how you edited that script to account for this? I'm not sure what to do.

My external drive is also in disk0. Could you explain how you edited that script to account for this? I'm not sure what to do.
Ok, I updated the rc.sleep script embedded in the SafeSleepUSB->Contents\Resources\ folder. To get to this, you have to right click on the application and click Show Package Contents. The line in the script should read the following:
/usr/sbin/system_profiler SPUSBDataType | grep -e 'disk[0-9]s.*' | sed 's/.*\(disk[0-9].*\)/\1/' | xargs -I{} /usr/sbin/diskutil unmount {}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back