Contribute
Register

USB drives getting ejected when Hackintosh wakes from sleep with XMP enabled

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the same issue. Specifically, my Steinberg UR22 mkII dac stops working after waking from sleep. The DAC was working fine in Yosemite. I also have issues with the machine taking minutes to actually boot (MAC progress bar just loads slowly).

Hi everyone,
A solution for this problem on my Gigabyte z370m is to set Bios to not use profile1 and then set cloverconfig/xmpdetection to 1.
That gives 3000mhz on my Skill memory banks.

Hope this will help you,...and yes usb sticks and other things then survive wake from sleep.

So I think I *may* have found the answer to this.

Bear with me, this is my first Hackintosh build, so I may say some things that make no sense… But I tinkered with this enough that I feel I may have found the source of the problem.

After turning off XMP and confirming that it was the source of the problem, I first tried @danilovitch ’s solution and used Clover Configurator to activate XMP. About This Mac was indeed showing 3000 MHz, but I did a lot of tests. and I did not see an improvement.

I’m thinking you can’t activate XMP through Clover, is the BIOS is set to not overclock the RAM, then standard speed it is.

So I set out to do a manual overclock through the BIOS. Things got weird, sometimes things would work, I would try to change a simple setting and USB would start unmounting again.

Eventually, I figured out that MacOS behaved like this as soon as I went over 2666 MHz. Every other settings (volt, Enhanced performance vs normal, etc) made no difference (other than stability of the overclock).

After some googling, I found that 2666 MHz is the fastest RAM speed that Apple sells (on the iMac Pro), so perhaps that’s the reason why things are not stable once you go over that number.

So now I’m rocking RAM at 2666 MHz instead of the 2400 MHz base. Unfortunately my RAM is rated for 3000 MHZ, and using XMP, I was able to get it to 32000 MHz. On the plus side, I was able to get the timing from the suggested 16-16-16-39 to 15-15-15-35, so there’s that.

The good news is that my benchmarks show that I am still nearly getting the speed I was getting with XMP on (and even some better results in single core tests)!

Here are my results

Single Core Performance

Memory Copy
XMP off: 5870
XMP Profile 1:6859
Homemade: 6660

Memory Latency
XMP off: 6389
XMP Profile 1: 7602
Homemade: 7532

Memory Bandwidth
XMP off: 5060
XMP Profile 1: 5282
Homemade: 5832

Multi-Core Performance

Memory Copy
XMP off: 6892
XMP Profile 1: 8283
Homemade: 7874

Memory Latency
XMP off: 6427
XMP Profile 1: 7570
Homemade: 7525

Memory Bandwidth
XMP off: 5335
XMP Profile 1: 6606
Homemade: 6131

So if you still have that problem, I suggest trying to get your RAM to 2666 MHz and see if that helps. To get there, I had to use a Reference Clock of 133 Mhz in the BIOS, otherwise my choices were 2400 and 2800 MHz.

Of course if you bought RAM rated for 3000+ MHz, it can suck, but to me sleep and USB stability is more important, especially considering my benchmarks results.

Let me know if this helps!

So I think I *may* have found the answer to this.

Bear with me, this is my first Hackintosh build, so I may say some things that make no sense… But I tinkered with this enough that I feel I may have found the source of the problem.

After turning off XMP and confirming that it was the source of the problem, I first tried @danilovitch ’s solution and used Clover Configurator to activate XMP. About This Mac was indeed showing 3000 MHz, but I did a lot of tests, and I did not see an improvement.

I’m thinking you can’t activate XMP through Clover, is the BIOS is set to not overclock the RAM, then standard speed it is.

So I set out to do a manual overclock through the BIOS. Things got weird, sometimes things would work, I would try to change a simple setting and USB would start unmounting again.

Eventually, I figured out that MacOS behaved like this as soon as I went over 2666 MHz. Every other settings (volt, Enhanced performance vs normal, etc) made no difference (other than stability of the overclock).

After some googling, I found that 2666 MHz is the fastest RAM speed that Apple sells (on the iMac Pro), so perhaps that’s the reason why things are not stable once you go over that number.

So now I’m rocking RAM at 2666 MHz instead of the 2400 MHz base. Unfortunately my RAM is rated for 3000 MHZ, and using XMP, I was able to get it to 32000 MHz. On the plus side, I was able to get the timing from the suggested 16-16-16-39 to 15-15-15-35, so there’s that.

The good news is that my benchmarks show that I am still nearly getting the speed I was getting with XMP on (and even some better results in single core tests)!

Here are my results

Single Core Performance

Memory Copy
XMP off: 5870
XMP Profile 1:6859
Homemade: 6660

Memory Latency
XMP off: 6389
XMP Profile 1: 7602
Homemade: 7532

Memory Bandwidth
XMP off: 5060
XMP Profile 1: 5282
Homemade: 5832

Multi-Core Performance

Memory Copy
XMP off: 6892
XMP Profile 1: 8283
Homemade: 7874

Memory Latency
XMP off: 6427
XMP Profile 1: 7570
Homemade: 7525

Memory Bandwidth
XMP off: 5335
XMP Profile 1: 6606
Homemade: 6131

So if you still have that problem, I suggest trying to get your RAM to 2666 MHz and see if that helps. To get there, I had to use a Reference Clock of 133 Mhz in the BIOS, otherwise my choices were 2400 and 2800 MHz.

Of course if you bought RAM rated for 3000+ MHz, it can suck, but to me sleep and USB stability is more important, especially considering my benchmarks results.

Let me know if this helps!

If your RAM is unstable at its advertised speed, get an RMA.

If your RAM is unstable at its advertised speed, get an RMA.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, my RAM is perfectly stable using XMP, but since I wanted to get it to 2666 MHz, I had to do the OC manually, and some settings worked better than other. That's what I meant by stability.

So I think I may have found the answer to this.

After turning off XMP and confirming that it was the source of the problem, I first tried @danilovitch ’s solution and used Clover Configurator to activate XMP. About This Mac was indeed showing 3000 MHz, but I did a lot of tests and like @Dr.Tom-san, I did not see an improvement.

Hi, could you say me what tool did you use to test RAM?
Great post, very useful info.
Thanks in advance.

Hi, could you say me what tool did you use to test RAM?
Great post, very useful info.
Thanks in advance.

I used Geekbench as well, Novabench too. It seemed reliable as I would get pretty much the same result test after test, and changing the settings changed the results in an expected way

Hi everyone,
A solution for this problem on my Gigabyte z370m is to set Bios to not use profile1 and then set cloverconfig/xmpdetection to 1.
That gives 3000mhz on my Skill memory banks.

Hope this will help you,...and yes usb sticks and other things then survive wake from sleep.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, my RAM is perfectly stable using XMP, but since I wanted to get it to 2666 MHz, I had to do the OC manually, and some settings worked better than other. That's what I meant by stability.

Sorry to revive this thread.. But I'm a n00b.

On a Gigabyte Designare board, I was able to set the XMP ram profiles to:

Disabled = 2400MHz

1= 3600MHz

2 = 3000MHz

I was unable to change settings to anything else.

Setting to "Disabled" (2400MHz) does indeed eliminate the dreaded "Disk Not Ejected Properly" error.

Going into the "boot" section of Clover Configurator, I tried to change XMPDetection from "= Yes" to "1" with no luck. "About this Mac" still says 2400Mhz.

Anyone have any ideas to share?

Thanks

Last edited:
Got sidetracked, but FWIW, disabling XMP in mobo BIOS and trying XMP 1 and then XMP 2 had no change. Still 2400 MHz and the geekbench scores were both the same for those 2 settings.

At 2400 MHz (instead of 3600 MHz set in mobo BIOS) I lose about 7-8% on single core and 10% on multi-core.

So it seems XMP in SMBIOS doesn't do anything... But I'm a n00b lol

FWIW, disabling XMP in mobo BIOS and trying XMP 1 and then XMP 2 had no change. Still 2400 MHz and the geekbench scores were both the same for those 2 settings.

At 2400 MHz (instead of 3600 MHz set in mobo BIOS) I lose about 7-8% on single core and 10% on multi-core.

So it seems XMP in SMBIOS doesn't do anything

Have you checked the Rehabman's USB post?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back