MSI H97 GAMING 3
CPU
i5-4690
Graphics
HD 4600 & GTX 650 Ti
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

I was having a USB connect/disconnect issue with USB 2.0 ports. RehabMan suggested to check the ports with Windows to see if it's s/w or h/w issue, I completed the tests. The background information is here on another thread.

In short, all 4 USB devices (2x 3.0, 2x 2.0) work on USB 3.0 port without an issue. But some works on USB 2.0 ports, some doesn't. If it's a h/w issue why some works on it?

USB Flash Drive Check:

Toshiba (USB 2.0) / TOS
Sandisk Cruzer Contour (USB 2.0) / SCC
Sandisk Ultra Flair (USB 3.0) / SUFL
Sandisk Ultra Fit (USB 3.0) / SUF

Ports Mac:

USB 2.0 #1:
Works:
SUFL, SCC,
Not work: SUF, TOS (Takes longer to fail)

Longer Duration:
Works:
SCC
Not work: SUF, TOS, SUFL

USB 2.0 #2:
Works:
SUFL, SCC
Not work: SUF, TOS

Longer Duration:
Works:
SCC

USB 3.0:
Works:
SUFL, SUF, SCC, TOS
Not work: -

Ports Win:

USB 2.0 #1:
Works:
SCC, SUFL
Not work: TOS, SUF

USB 2.0 #2:
Works:
SCC, SUFL
Not work: SUF, TOS (took longer to fail)

USB 3.0:
Works:
SUFL, SUF, SCC, TOS

Hi,

I was having a USB connect/disconnect issue with USB 2.0 ports. RehabMan suggested to check the ports with Windows to see if it's s/w or h/w issue, I completed the tests. The background information is here on another thread.

In short, all 4 USB devices (2x 3.0, 2x 2.0) work on USB 3.0 port without an issue. But some works on USB 2.0 ports, some doesn't. If it's a h/w issue why some works on it?

USB Flash Drive Check:

Toshiba (USB 2.0) / TOS
Sandisk Cruzer Contour (USB 2.0) / SCC
Sandisk Ultra Flair (USB 3.0) / SUFL
Sandisk Ultra Fit (USB 3.0) / SUF

Ports Mac:

USB 2.0 #1:
Works:
SUFL, SCC,
Not work: SUF, TOS (Takes longer to fail)

Longer Duration:
Works:
SCC

USB 2.0 #2:
Works:
SUFL, SCC
Not work: SUF, TOS

Longer Duration:
Works:
SCC

USB 3.0:
Works:
SUFL, SUF, SCC, TOS

Ports Win:

USB 2.0 #1:
Works:
SCC, SUFL
Not work: TOS, SUF

USB 2.0 #2:
Works:
SCC, SUFL
Not work: SUF, TOS (took longer to fail)

USB 3.0:
Works:
SUFL, SUF, SCC, TOS

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Don't get me wrong but sometimes I feel like I'm getting a response from a bot. :) If you read #1 again, I said background info can be found on another thread with a link. We already passed that phase, you checked the files and suggested testing on Windows. And since there is no Problem Reporting files for Windows, there is nothing to attach.

Old PM files that you already checked before suggesting to test on Windows can be found here. Those files belong to Sierra, I'm running High Sierra right now but the results are identical. I think it's h/w issue and I need to send the laptop to the service.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong but sometimes I feel like I'm getting a response from a bot. :) If you read #1 again, I said background info can be found on another thread with a link. We already passed that phase, you checked the files and suggested testing on Windows. And since there is no Problem Reporting files for Windows, there is nothing to attach.

Old PM files that you already checked before suggesting to test on Windows can be found here. Those files belong to Sierra, I'm running High Sierra right now but the results are identical. I think it's h/w issue and I need to send the laptop to the service.

Problem Reporting files must represent your current scenario.
And I will not go chasing around for them.
Attach them here, as per FAQ, if you expect any help/ideas.

If your problem occurs on Windows as well (not clear from what you have written), then it is obviously not a hackintosh issue.

Problem Reporting files must represent your current scenario.
And I will not go chasing around for them.
Attach them here, as per FAQ, if you expect any help/ideas.

Sure, attached.

If your problem occurs on Windows as well (not clear from what you have written), then it is obviously not a hackintosh issue.
Not clear? I made a basic table info, what works on which and what doesn't work. "Ports Win:" means, Ports tested on Windows which shows almost the same results with "Ports Mac:".

Post also starts with what devices used in the test and a legend, for instance instead of writing "Sandisk Cruzer Contour" everytime I made a short form of it as "SCC", initials.

Anyways, I'm sending the device to the service center.

Attachments

• AE's MBP PR USB issue.zip
    5.3 MB · Views: 78
Not clear? I made a basic table info, what works on which and what doesn't work. "Ports Win:" means, Ports tested on Windows which shows almost the same results with "Ports Mac:".
Anyways, I'm sending the device to the service center.

If you have a device not working in Windows, then I'd say it is a device problem.
Therefore, off-topic in these forums.

As for the attached ioreg:
Assuming you have 1x USB3 port (HS01/SS01), 2x USB2-only ports (HS02, HS03), and the internal bluetooth (HS04), internal camera (HS05), your USB configuration looks correct.

I didn't compare your ACPI/patched to ACPI/origin, as the files in ACPI/origin are extremely old (you forgot to press F4 as requested in "Problem Reporting").

If you have a device not working in Windows, then I'd say it is a device problem.
Therefore, off-topic in these forums.

As for the attached ioreg:
Assuming you have 1x USB3 port (HS01/SS01), 2x USB2-only ports (HS02, HS03), and the internal bluetooth (HS04), internal camera (HS05), your USB configuration looks correct.

I didn't compare your ACPI/patched to ACPI/origin, as the files in ACPI/origin are extremely old (you forgot to press F4 as requested in "Problem Reporting").

Well, they were working on Windows when I use them with Windows but for the last 7-8 months, it's only running hackintosh, I also realized the issue on hackintosh. Maybe it's a coincidence or the ports decided not to work (or fail) for the last 8 months, idk. It was you that suggested me to check them on Windows as well, so I did. And thank you for that, first I thought it might be the USB config as well but now it seems it's h/w. It's strange though, I always use the USB 3.0 one, 2.0 ones are rarely used.

That's correct, 1x USB3 and 2x USB2 and HS04 might be touch screen.

Thanks.

but now it seems it's h/w.

Seems like it.

That's correct, 1x USB3 and 2x USB2 and HS04 might be touch screen.

The ioreg shows no USB touchscreen (all enabled ports are accounted for as I mentioned).
The ioreg shows HS04 is bluetooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back