CPU
I-7700K
Graphics
Intel HD 630 internal GPU
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I am using a portable USB-C monitor from Asus (MB16AC)
Asus-Portable-Monitor-MB16AC-002-660x488.jpg

Here is my hardware :
  • Intel Z270i Strix Gaming (with 1 USB-C port)
  • I7700K - Internal graphics hd 630
  • 2x16GB Crucial DDR4-2400 UDIMM PC4-19200 • CL=17 • Dual Ranked • x8 based • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • 1.2V
  • Up to date bios
Even thou my usb-c port was working fine for data, the screen was not displaying anything when I first installed it. Fortunately, Asus has a driver that made this USB-C monitor work.

Having to use a driver basically make my USB-C monitor behave like a regular USB monitor, and you guys all know those are usually laggy and not considered best suited for main monitor usage.
I am not getting the native performance I would get with a USB-C to hardware direct connection.

Moreover, I am getting weird glitches when using some "exposé" features or when using the CTRL-SCROLL Mac os zoom. These glitches are not happening when hooking up my set-up to any HDMI monitor.

I am suspecting this is a driver compatibility issue.

I have 2 questions:
  • Has any of you been successfully using a USB-C monitor on a hackintosh build?
  • Is there a special Kext to activate the graphic USB-C bus on hackintosh?
Thanks a lot for your time,
M

The Type-C port on your mainboard is data-only, there's no way to use it for transferring video signals. It's still possible to drive it using DisplayLink technology (like you did), but it's quite slow on macOS.

In theory you might be able to attach it to a DisplayPort with an DP to USB-C adapter, but I don't know if there's such an adapter supporting power delivery.

I am using a portable USB-C monitor from Asus (MB16AC)
Asus-Portable-Monitor-MB16AC-002-660x488.jpg

Here is my hardware :
  • Intel Z270i Strix Gaming (with 1 USB-C port)
  • I7700K - Internal graphics hd 630
  • 2x16GB Crucial DDR4-2400 UDIMM PC4-19200 • CL=17 • Dual Ranked • x8 based • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • 1.2V
  • Up to date bios
Even thou my usb-c port was working fine for data, the screen was not displaying anything when I first installed it. Fortunately, Asus has a driver that made this USB-C monitor work.

Having to use a driver basically make my USB-C monitor behave like a regular USB monitor, and you guys all know those are usually laggy and not considered best suited for main monitor usage.
I am not getting the native performance I would get with a USB-C to hardware direct connection.

Moreover, I am getting weird glitches when using some "exposé" features or when using the CTRL-SCROLL Mac os zoom. These glitches are not happening when hooking up my set-up to any HDMI monitor.

I am suspecting this is a driver compatibility issue.

I have 2 questions:
  • Has any of you been successfully using a USB-C monitor on a hackintosh build?
  • Is there a special Kext to activate the graphic USB-C bus on hackintosh?
Thanks a lot for your time,
M

Hi, may I know if you have resolved the problem?
I'm considering to get the exact same portable monitor, and been worrying about the compatibility.

I'd really really appreciate that if you could let me know.

Thanks a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back