Contribute
Register

USB-C Hotplug not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've long since gotten USB-C hotplug for the 9560 working on the latest BIOS (see my 9560 build), but thunderbolt I have pretty much lost all time to look into at this point. I remain convinced that it is definitely possible to get working, however it would take a wholly unknown amount of time to figure it out.

Is it? WHO is working on it to make it a 100% working solution?
I tried this for over a week now - and have made some progress. As you may notice, all Thunderbolt-featured real Macs are using SSDT for Thunderbolt. So i compared the various SSDTs from for example MacPro_2013, MacBookPro_late2015 and MacBookPro_2017(touchbar). in their ground structure they all seem to follow the same way and i think, the way we dont see it to appear on Hackintosh under section THUNDERBOLT within System Profiler is, cause we are missing something from a "correct built SSDT".

So what do i mean exactly:
if u just use built-in TB2 or TB3 ports of your motherboard, connected Thunderbolt devices will appear within SystemProfiler under their respective Entries: Ethernet, AHCI, Firewire or USB. For example: i have a CalDigit Thunderbolt2 Station, which features 2 eSATA- , 1 HDMI- , 1 Ethernet GB-, 2 USB3.0- and MIC/Headphone ports. If i connect this one via Apple Thunderbolt3-to-Thunderbolt2 adaptor into my ASUS onboard USB-C/TB3 port, all devices get detected by macOS SIERRA and are fully working.
BUT: they will be detect all as "Expresscard-Slots"! All the ports are visible in System Profiler as their main devices: Ethernet, AHCI, USB and Headphone/Microphone. But under Thunderbolt System Profiler says: no Thunderboltdriver loaded.

Also my Akitio NODE eGPU box is connected via Gigabyte AlpineRidge TB3 PCIe card - and it is working. Also a big BUT: i could not make it via running the script from eGPU.io, cause the script expects the Akitio Node as a working ThunderboltDevice - which is NOT possible at this time under Hackintosh. So i have to make the neccesary modifications to the desired Kextfiles by "hand". Et voila - eGPU is running.

I remember the days i have had an X99 ASUS Board with Thunderbolt EXii card: it was important, into which PCIe port the card was connected to, otherwise the result was the same as above described. But once i switched the PCIe slot, BANG it also shows up in Systemprofiler as Thunderbolt Device. Havn't tried this with the AlpineRidge card yet, cause on some pages you read: "plugin to the nearest CPU PCIe slot", others say "plug it into the nearest TB.Header PCIe slot".

I would be interested to help for making Thunderbolt fully work under Hackintosh - but right now, i feel like i am the only one who actively wnats to find a solution. Maybe you (RehabMan) would like to help?

To Mork and the others in this thread -

Is the current status of thunderbolt 3 such that it is a) not hot-pluggable or b) just not reliable, period. If it's the former, I can live with that, even though it's an inconvenience, but if it's the latter, that will be a problem. Clients show up with thunderbolt devices from time to time.

Also, to Mork specifically - I notice you are using the Supercarrier motherboard in your build. What has been your experience? Are it's main features accessible as a hackintosh?

edit: I suppose I also mean to ask whether you are suggesting it's actually *better* to use a PCIe card for TB3 instead of an on-board port.

Last edited:
It depends. On my old desktop it was simply not hotpluggable, period. On my current laptop, I get a full system hard lock upon removing a Thunderbolt device as a tradeoff of how I needed to enable USB Type-C (and the TB device doesn't work when plugged in, as per my past few posts).

I've seen a very small number of posts on InsanelyMac of people claiming to get TB working -- ages ago, like TB1/2 -- and some screenshots look like they did it, but there's never nearly enough info posted anywhere to actually work off of (it was in the middle of a several hundred page thread of something unrelated, too). :/

I'm also simplifying the whole situation a bit, but the point is that hot plug basically doesn't work at all, in some cases catastrophically. But boot-time plug tends to work fine in most cases.

looking forward for this thread
I've x99-ud4 (bios F23) revision 1.0
cpu i7 5960x
gigabyte gtx960 geforce
gc-thunderbolt 2 pcie add on card

before i instal Sierra 10.12.6 I have Yosemite 10.10.5 and the thunderbolt work without hotswap
now at Sierra at system report>hardware>thunderbolt>"Thunderbolt: No drivers are loaded."

hope someone can figure it out..

Hi Guys,

Interesting thread ... and seems to be related to an issue i have ...

I have 2017 HP Spectre X360 (15" Kaby lake model) it has one USB 3 Type A and Two USB Type C (3.1) one of which has Thunderbolt 3, in OSX (10.12.6) The USB3 Type A works fine as does the non Thunderbolt USB Type C port (patched using Rehabmans USB guides and patches)

However the USB C port with Thunderbolt port only works if a USB device is plugged in before booting OSX .... i don't have any Thunderbolt devices so cant test that side of the port ... Once in OSX i can use the USB device with no issues but once removed the port is powered down again and becomes unusable ...

As a PLC developer i'm always using lots of USB devices so having three ports rather than two would be most welcome ...I assume this issue is related to the port only being powered up if a device is plugged in as discussed in this thread so I think i need to patch DSDT/SSDT so that its always powered up ...

Like i said i'm only really interested in the USB side of the port not the Thundebolt 3 ... at least for now,
Jut wondered if any progress has been made with this or is this just something we have to live with as quoted by rehabman in post #2.

Have things improved with native kaby lake support ? (i'm still running with spoofed SKL)

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

Interesting thread ... and seems to be related to an issue i have ...

I have 2017 HP Spectre X360 (15" Kaby lake model) it has one USB 3 Type A and Two USB Type C (3.1) one of which has Thunderbolt 3, in OSX (10.12.6) The USB3 Type A works fine as does the non Thunderbolt USB Type C port (patched using Rehabmans USB guides and patches)

However the USB C port with Thunderbolt port only works if a USB device is plugged in before booting OSX .... i don't have any Thunderbolt devices so cant test that side of the port ... Once in OSX i can use the USB device with no issues but once removed the port is powered down again and becomes unusable ...

As a PLC developer i'm always using lots of USB devices so having three ports rather than two would be most welcome ...I assume this issue is related to the port only being powered up if a device is plugged in as discussed in this thread so I think i need to patch DSDT/SSDT so that its always powered up ...

Like i said i'm only really interested in the USB side of the port not the Thundebolt 3 ... at least for now,
Jut wondered if any progress has been made with this or is this just something we have to live with as quoted by rehabman in post #2.

Have things improved with native kaby lake support ? (i'm still running with spoofed SKL)

Cheers
Jay

No change regarding TB in 10.12.6. Still must be plugged in prior to booting. It has to do with PCIe hotplug (TB controller not showing up unless something is plugged in). Apple seems to shy away from PCIe hotplug.

You CAN get your TB3 port working as a USB port, but you have to learn how your port works and adapt either my SSDT-TYPC/SSDT-YTBT or dpassmor's versions. Or, if you're lucky, you might find you don't even have to deal with a a port that turns itself totally off, which would still require a DSDT patch and an SSDT to provide an ACPI description for the type-C port in a way consistent with what Mac OS expects (unless you're really lucky and there's already an SSDT on your machine like that). It's not, and will likely never be, particularly easy, but it IS doable.

I have promised myself that i will not post here anymore... But will make exception.

By design, all systems with TB host chip on-board, always have ability to force-power tb-controller. And this ability is done by WMI instruments in ACPI. There is always method in ACPI code with ID as "86CCFD48-205E-4A77-9C48-2021CBEDE341" that runs proper procedures for turning on and off TB.

For ex., in Dell XPS 9550 laptop ACPI this is method "WMTF" and this is identification part of it:

Code:
            Name (_HID, "PNP0C14")  // _HID: Hardware ID
            Name (_UID, "TBFP")  // _UID: Unique ID
            Name (_WDG, Buffer (0x14)
            {
                /* 0000 */  0x48, 0xFD, 0xCC, 0x86, 0x5E, 0x20, 0x77, 0x4A,
                /* 0008 */  0x9C, 0x48, 0x20, 0x21, 0xCB, 0xED, 0xE3, 0x41,
                /* 0010 */  0x54, 0x46, 0x01, 0x02                        
            })

So you can see in _WDG same ID as i have wrote here.
This is starting point for Thunderbolt 3 support on hackintosh - as macos is expecting to see tb controller always online. Turning off controller will cause kernel panic by AppleThunderbolrNHI kext.

Oh my god. This is awesome!!! Can't wait to try it.

I was under the impression that something like a well-placed Notify() would trigger a rescan, but I'm not aure with the way Apple did things. Also this thread might help:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...-high-sierra-10131-quick-installation/page-44

I posted a lot of resources and screenshots on pages 45/46, which may be of use. The big thing is that there're a lot of thunderbolt-related nodes hanging off the port on a real Mac.

I was under the impression that something like a well-placed Notify() would trigger a rescan, but I'm not sure with the way Apple did things.

@KNNSpeed, I looked at leveraging Notify() in ACPI, but I am not sure if macOS picks this information up. Sofar I haven't seen any sign that it does.

With regards to the Thunderbolt device population, I did see PCI identifiers used in the AppleThunderbolt.kext driver code.
My Dell XPS 9630 comes with a "8086:1576 DSL6340 Thunderbolt 3 Bridge [Alpine Ridge 2C 2015]".
macOS supports the "8086:1575 DSL6340 Thunderbolt 3 NHI [Alpine Ridge 2C 2015]" natively. So we can experiment with leveraging the FakePCIID technique to see if that causes more Thunderbolt elements to attach and/or Thunderbolt to show natively.

I will look into the link you posted, thanks for that. I think it might be possible to listen for ACPI events from a kext driver which is attached to the IOPCI2PCIBridge of the Thunderbolt controller port and hopefully trigger a re-scan if/when necessary.

Doing this in a driver could end up being more re-usable across all ACPI WMI supporting laptops with Thunderbolt without requiring extensive ACPI patching. But documentation on PCIDevice rescanning in macOS is sketchy at best.

In my DSDT I had some problems with XTBT calling TBFF, which freezes my machine if Thunderbolt force-power is enabled.
Removing the entire XTBT function gives the functionality described above because its always on.

Note that not dropping the standard SSDT for USB-C actually make all ports appear, there is no specific requirement to build the Thunderbolt device tree or name the Thunderbolt node NHI0. At least no requirement that I have discovered as of yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back