Contribute
Register

Usb bootable with EFI folder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
<< need manufacturer and model # >> See Forum Rules !!
CPU
i7-6500U
Graphics
r7 m440
Hi all, I lost my usb stick with the EFI folder inside. Since I use it to test the kext, I need to create a new one. I tried to format the new usb as "Mac OS extended (journaled)" and then copy the EFI folder inside it, but when I try to boot from this usb nothing happen. Is there a way to create a bootable USB with the EFI folder, so I can try if the kext works without any problem?

Thanks

Hi all, I lost my usb stick with the EFI folder inside. Since I use it to test the kext, I need to create a new one. I tried to format the new usb as "Mac OS extended (journaled)" and then copy the EFI folder inside it, but when I try to boot from this usb nothing happen. Is there a way to create a bootable USB with the EFI folder, so I can try if the kext works without any problem?

Thanks
What bootloader are you using?

When I did the all the job I used opencore

I tried to format the new usb as "Mac OS extended (journaled)" and then copy the EFI folder inside it, but when I try to boot from this usb nothing happen.
Make sure you copy your working EFI folder to the EFI partition of the USB assuming it's using GPT. If it's using the MBR scheme format the USB as FAT32 and copy the folder to the new partition. Those are some basics to check.

You need to mount the hidden 'EFI' partition and copy the EFI folder to the EFI partition. Use Hackintool, terminal command, OpenCore Configurator, all three will allow you to mount the EFI partition on the USB.

The EFI folder should not be on the Root of the USB pen drive.

I mounted the EFI partition of the usb with hackintool, then I copied the EFI folder from the main drive to the usb. When I try to boot from the usb nothing happens. This is the EFI folder mounted from the usb

Attachments

• 16320517891623063121582186433313.jpg
    16320517891623063121582186433313.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 264
When you try to boot from the USB are you selecting the partition name of the USB, or the UEFI partition of the USB.

There will usually be two partitions available on a HFS+ formatted USB. You need to make sure you are selecting the UEFI named partition. Otherwise nothing will happen and the system won't see the OC EFI folder.

With the usb inserted I select the voice EFI on the boot loader, that's the only voice showing when I plug in the usb drive

'Voice EFI' what is that?

Do you mean when you press the key to bring up the boot menu, that you select the UEFI partition on the USB, which contains the EFI folder?

Can you confirm what system you are using, is it a laptop or desktop, which make and model and which CPU it uses. You User Profile lacks definition and should reflect the specification for the system you are troubleshooting.

If it uses the R7 M440 graphics, then I assume it is a laptop from around 2016.

You are aware that this GPU will not work in macOS aren't you? That you need to set your system up to use the Intel iGPU from your i7 (model number?) for all graphics processes in macOS.

It's a laptop HP 15-ay034nl with Intel Core i7-6500U.
The usb drive appears in the boot menu as EFI (it has this name when I did the installation of macOS). I'm using only the dedicated GPU and the system is running properly. I just need to boot from this usb drive to test some new kext, and in case of kernel panic i can remove the usb drive and boot from the main drive inside macOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back