Contribute
Register

USB Audio Interface Noise Interference / USB Sleep Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
That being the case, have you tried installing the SSDT-X299-RadeonVII-WEGVII.aml created by KPG, from his expansive X299 guide?

Copy attached for you to try, just remember to add the SSDT entry to the config.plist.
Unfortunately I think this SSDT was for Clover and not Opencore. OC doesn’t rename ACPI stuff like Clover, so this KGP’s one I doubt would be loaded. What do you think?

The developer's of OpenCore don't want us users to employ rename patches, they want us to use SSDT's for setting up devices. As a properly configured SSDT will contain all the relevant information required by the OS.

I would say give this SSDT for the Radeon VII a try. The SSDT looks to be well built and cover all the bases.

I would suggest you copy your OC folder to a spare USB, USB needs to be GUID partition map, and macOS Extended (Journaled) formatted, as if you were creating an installation USB Drive. Then add the SSDT for the Radeon VII to the /OC/ACPI folder with a corresponding entry in the config.plist.

You would need to press the F8 key on the Asus Boot Screen, to bring up the Boot Menu, so you can select the UEFI partition on the USB Drive as the boot device (instead of your normal macOS drive). You would then be able to see if it boots and works any better than the OC folder without the SSDT. You could confirm if the Audio noise/distortion is present or not.

That way you won't mess up your main OC folder and config. If the SSDT helps resolve the issues you can just copy the OC folder from the USB to replace the one on your macOS drive.

Tried, still a no go :(

At this point I suspect is a bug or whatever related to 11.1 given the fact it was ok in 11.0.1, probably they are modifying something with the Radeon drivers due to the upcoming support for Navi 21 and they messed up. Radeon VII is a good card, same chip of Pro Vega II MPX Module for Mac Pro, but sure the cards bios is surely different. VII is not officially supported by Apple and Sonnet (egpu box manufacturer recommended by Apple) and on Sonnet website they discourage use of VII due to some incompatibilities. It's known that if you put a VII on a real Mac Pro, it messes up with sleep / wake and fan behavior is quite rubbish.

That being the case we are fighting a losing battle, and no matter what I suggest you will not resolve this issue. Not with an SSDT or kext change.

If the dGPU causes issues on a real Mac, you have little chance of getting it working on a Hack, unless of course you are a software developer and can fix the issues between the drivers, VBIOS and OS.

Logical option would be for you to downgrade to Big Sur 11.0.1, until a fix arrives. Big Sur 11.1 includes the Navi 21 drivers, so maybe you are correct, by adding the new card details and changing the drivers Apple have caused this issue. It may get fixed in a future update to Big Sur.

The costly alternative is changing your Radeon VII for a 'more' compatible card, RX 5700 XT or something along those lines. Assuming Sonnet haven't issued a warning about the RX 5000 Series of cards.

That being the case we are fighting a losing battle, and no matter what I suggest you will not resolve this issue. Not with an SSDT or kext change.

If the dGPU causes issues on a real Mac, you have little chance of getting it working on a Hack, unless of course you are a software developer and can fix the issues between the drivers, VBIOS and OS.

Logical option would be for you to downgrade to Big Sur 11.0.1, until a fix arrives. Big Sur 11.1 includes the Navi 21 drivers, so maybe you are correct, by adding the new card details and changing the drivers Apple have caused this issue. It may get fixed in a future update to Big Sur.

The costly alternative is changing your Radeon VII for a 'more' compatible card, RX 5700 XT or something along those lines. Assuming Sonnet haven't issued a warning about the RX 5000 Series of cards.
No Sonnet warnings on Navi ahahah

GPUs prices are skyrocketed at the moment, at least here in Italy, and availability is ultra scarce. You used to spend 180 € for a Sapphire 5500 XT and 380 € for a Sapphire 5700 XT, now, if you can find one, they're 270 and 480 € respectively. Good news is Radeon VII is still selling at 750/700 used on eBay, pretty much its original MSRP :p

I had the noise you are talking about. you've got a ground loop between your computer and your powered monitors. Balanced cables didn't help me. I ended up defeating the ground on the monitors and it went away. Not the safest option, but it works.

I had the noise you are talking about. you've got a ground loop between your computer and your powered monitors. Balanced cables didn't help me. I ended up defeating the ground on the monitors and it went away. Not the safest option, but it works.
I'm sure it's nothing related to electrical mess with cables, because it doesn't happen every time. Thanks anyway.

@Edhawk

(UPDATE)

Still the issue exists for me. I had proper home made SSDT's using SSDTime on Linux... USB's all mapped using Hackintool with no more than 14 ports. Nothing got rid of the issue. Last thing I thought that maybe I was under powering my PC so I might try upgrading from 650 to 850 to give me some more head room anyway regardless of the issue. My power supply started making clicking noises during intense work like video editing and it was only a few months old.

When I get back home after xmas, I will see if this resolves it. @antieatingactivist I will give this a go! I do use a power conditioner that my computer and monitors all use. Could you explain what your process here and perhaps further describe your sound? Mine doesn't begin when the computer turns on it begins when OpenCore boot loader starts and doesn't happen on any laptops.

@Edhawk - You're probably pretty fed up hearing about Mac issues, I applaud you on your patience with people needing support. Still mythed, I guess I will re-do my SSDT's because perhaps they messed up.

@Edhawk

(UPDATE)

Still the issue exists for me. I had proper home made SSDT's using SSDTime on Linux... USB's all mapped using Hackintool with no more than 14 ports. Nothing got rid of the issue. Last thing I thought that maybe I was under powering my PC so I might try upgrading from 650 to 850 to give me some more head room anyway regardless of the issue. My power supply started making clicking noises during intense work like video editing and it was only a few months old.

When I get back home after xmas, I will see if this resolves it. @antieatingactivist I will give this a go! I do use a power conditioner that my computer and monitors all use. Could you explain what your process here and perhaps further describe your sound? Mine doesn't begin when the computer turns on it begins when OpenCore boot loader starts and doesn't happen on any laptops.

@Edhawk - You're probably pretty fed up hearing about Mac issues, I applaud you on your patience with people needing support. Still mythed, I guess I will re-do my SSDT's because perhaps they messed up.
What you are probably hearing is electrical interference. The noise becomes more prevalent when the graphics card starts drawing power, (maybe the CPU too). The reason it doesn't do it on your laptops is because they aren't grounded to the wall like you're desktop PSU is. I'll try to explain ground loops the best I can. When you have multiple paths to ground that are of a different length or resistance, it can cause a 60 cycle hum from the AC voltages from the wall. In our case, the hum is caused by interference from some of the computer components.

Your Computer is grounded to the wall.
Your powered monitors are grounded to the wall.
My interface is DC powered, but I have a ADAT expansion unit that is grounded to the wall. (Apogee Quartet (USB), with a Behringer ADAT expansion interface and various synths plugged into it)

And you have audio cable/USB/Thunderbolt that carries a ground connecting everything.

This is a recipe for noise and is the main reason why SPDIF optical is a good thing. No electrical connections.

I tried a power conditioner, I use balanced audio signal cables, no luck. There are Ground loop isolators that use an isolation transformer to break the physical ground from the audio signal, but these can cause some frequency roll off and high end ones can be very pricy. The more Hacky way is to make sure there is only 1 path to ground. This should be your computer.

Easiest way to experiment is to break the 3rd prong ground from a power strip and plug everything audio related into it except your computer. If it works, you might do more research and explore other less sketchy methods of ground loop elimination.

The sound I was experiencing was a quiet buzz that was amplified through the speakers. it would get louder if I scrolled a window, and if I played a 3D game, it would be very wild sounding. You would also hear an occasional chirp. This would also happen on Windows. I don't know if you have the ability to boot windows, or linux right now, but that would help eliminate any doubt about your macOS/opencore config.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back