CPU
i5-11400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm currently running macOS Catalina 10.15.3, recently updated from 10.15.2, which also had the issue I will describe below.

With my monitor connected to an XFX AMD Radeon RX 580 GTS XXX Edition 8GB via HDMI or DP, I'm encountering audible artifacts (crackling) and dropouts using a USB audio interface (UMC1820). These issues generally become apparent when opening applications, focusing windows, etc. and will remain, until there is eventually no audio output and the computer or USB device are restarted.

I did not encounter this issue prior to installing the XFX AMD Radeon RX 580 GTS XXX Edition 8GB, previously used an EVGA NVIDIA GT640 2GB in the same setup. NOTE: I only used DVI output with the GT640, as it uses mini-HDMI, which I never had access to.

I do not encounter these issues when using the same USB audio interface on my MacBook Pro running Catalina 10.15.2, nor do I encounter these issues on Windows 10, installed on a secondary SSD, in the same build.

I've gone through countless online threads, testing other users confirmed solutions and suggestions for similar problems. Here is a list of things that I tested and made note of:
  • Install “AHCIPortInjector.kext”.
  • Configure “Busratio=40” in boot args, set CPU (4000) and Bus Speed (100000) in config.plist. This is specific to my hardware.
  • Tested USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports.
  • Disable SIP and cleared NVRAM.
  • Disabled power saving features in UEFI (Speedstep, C States, etc.)
  • Tested using the USB device in an aggregate device. (Audio MIDI Setup)
  • Tested various input and output sample rates. (Audio MIDI Setup)
  • RX 580 is in PCIE1, the only x16 lane on the H97m Pro4.
  • Replaced “AppleUSBAudio.kext” in S/L/E with earlier version from macOS 10.12.2. I recovered the original file after confirming this didn't work.
  • Test different System Definitions: iMac 14,2 (Default), iMac 14,1, iMac 15,1.
I've attached my generated debug files. If anything else is necessary, please let me know. Thank you for the assistance.

Last edited:
I've had the same problem since upgrading to a Sapphire Pulse RX 580 in Mojave. I've been chasing my tail with my usb mapping but it seems that isn't at fault.

my specs:
z97n-wifi
3.5ghz 4690k
16GB DDR3
500GB 850 EVO
RX 580 8GB

What smbios are you using? Sorry, wish I could help

I’m currently using SMBIOS iMac14,2.

I recall testing iMac15,1 and iMac14,1 as well.

I’ve already tested varying sample rates for both input and output, I have the same issues regardless of what sample rate is selected.

I think I may have fixed the issue on my machine. I went into the BIOS and set XHCI mode to ON, which seems to have disabled the other USB controller. Knock on wood so far.

I too believe I've corrected the issues on my machine, tested several times for confirmation. I also found a way to consistently reproduce the audio issues if they don't occur immediately after booting into macOS.

Reproduce:

1. Boot into macOS.
2. Playback audio via your USB audio interface, eg. audio from a YouTube video via Safari.
3. Go to 'System Preferences > Displays'.
4. Alter the Refresh Rate of your monitor, in my case altering between 60 Hertz and 100 Hertz.

Solution: Disable Serial Port in UEFI. In case of the ASRock H97m Pro4, do the following:

1. Boot into UEFI (F2 or DEL).
2. Select 'Advanced > Super IO Configuration'.
3. Set Serial Port to 'Disabled'.

I will keep this thread updated with any new issues I encounter.

Great! I forgot that I also disabled the serial port. I wonder why this is working.

I've had the same problem since upgrading to a Sapphire Pulse RX 580 in Mojave. I've been chasing my tail with my usb mapping but it seems that isn't at fault.

my specs:
z97n-wifi
3.5ghz 4690k
16GB DDR3
500GB 850 EVO
RX 580 8GB

What smbios are you using? Sorry, wish I could help

Like you, i was looking for USB problems, like USB 3.0/2.0 ports and configs.
But after this solution it seems to be related to the other things.

Newest Gigabyte BIOS boards (I had F10 and upgraded to F11 on Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master) do not allow you to disable "Super IO Serial"

This thread here has more information about disabling it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back