Contribute
Register

USB Audio DAC - Frustration ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well after the annoying experience of the Cambridge DACMagic XS, which I note has now been discontinued, I thought I would try the HiFi.Me Sabre ES9023:

HiFiMe.jpg

It works very well, but sound quality is not up to the DACMagic XS (Windows) performance. There are a few more expensive models in the HiFi.Me product range that may offer better quality, but as this was my first experience of the brand, I wasn't about to throw too much money their way. The sound is very clean and pleasant but I notice some "colouration" altering what I've previously been used to. Maybe to be expected as this wasn't at the same price point as the DACMagic.

Motherboard audio has come on leaps and bounds in recent years, especially since the big manufacturers decided to use audio-quality capacitors in their sound circuitry. I think I'm getting very good output from my ALC892 onboard audio BUT it is ruined by interference from the wireless PCIe card. You can easily tell when the PC is going online for data because of "birds on the wire" noise. This is the main reason I'm experimenting with DACs. I could experiment with different wireless cards, but where's the fun in that?

So another try and perhaps another fail. Though I have kept this one as a back-up. It's very light and portable and can stay attached to the headphone lead for a simple plug-and-play experience.

:)

I'm confused about why a digital-to-analog converter is needed or desirable... sound quality? Where do you pick up the input signal to it, is it the Hackintosh's green port, or somewhere else? I have Bose Companion 20 stereo speakers and the sound is just fine for me. Of course, my age has reduced my hearing in upper frequencies, which is normal, but I've never felt the need to upgrade sound in any way. for instance, I can't imagine this sounding any better, no matter what!

Last edited:
I'm confused about why a digital-to-analog converter is needed or desirable... sound quality? Where do you pick up the input signal to it, is it the Hackintosh's green port, or somewhere else? I have Bose Companion 20 stereo speakers and the sound is just fine for me. Of course, my age has reduced my hearing in upper frequencies, which is normal, but I've never felt the need to upgrade sound in any way. for instance, I can't imagine this sounding any better, no matter what!

We've come a long way since the first generation of Sounblastercards, but building a top class digital-to-analog converter is still expensive and not included with your general PC mobo.

A Benchmark DAC3 (about 2k) for example is huge step up from whatever is in my Z390, that is if your speakers/headphones are able to let you hear the difference. Even for my old(er) ears. A veil is lifted, I can hear much more details, stereo imaging is pinpoint exact and stable, etc.

Basically a USB DAC adds an extra sound output, alongside the motherboard audio. Because it is USB the theory is that it is isolated from interference caused by motherboard circuitry.

As @zipb says, you can pay serious money for true hi-fi DACs but unless you are a studio pro or an enthusiast, I don't think our humble PCs are worth the investment. To get the best from one you would need a corresponding amp and speakers - and deep pockets.

I mentioned above how good motherboard audio has become when compared to a few years back, but an even better sound can be had with a modest USB DAC. For me it bypasses wireless interference, but as I say above, the model I tested is not any better than the motherboard. Maybe a "DragonFly" brand DAC might be better? I also need new desktop speakers ... !

I used to have a Benchmark ADC (to convert analog) and they make top quality stuff. I switched over to Mytek, mainly because my old Benchmark was a power hog. Mytek makes really solid gear too, but it is pricey.

There are many reasonable audiophile DACs out there. Check out Drop.com. I have been looking at the DAC exclusively made for Drop by Grace Design, which is a leader in audio recording gear. It's only $80 and for a version with balanced outs, $150.

The non-existent shielding on these motherboards really affects the audio quality. I am using a Sound Devices USBPre2 which is a bit overkill, but it is otherwise just lying in my gear bag.

Basically a USB DAC adds an extra sound output, alongside the motherboard audio. Because it is USB the theory is that it is isolated from interference caused by motherboard circuitry.

As @zipb says, you can pay serious money for true hi-fi DACs but unless you are a studio pro or an enthusiast, I don't think our humble PCs are worth the investment. To get the best from one you would need a corresponding amp and speakers - and deep pockets.

I mentioned above how good motherboard audio has become when compared to a few years back, but an even better sound can be had with a modest USB DAC. For me it bypasses wireless interference, but as I say above, the model I tested is not any better than the motherboard. Maybe a "DragonFly" brand DAC might be better? I also need new desktop speakers ... !

I used to have a Benchmark ADC (to convert analog) and they make top quality stuff. I switched over to Mytek, mainly because my old Benchmark was a power hog. Mytek makes really solid gear too, but it is pricey.

There are many reasonable audiophile DACs out there. Check out Drop.com. I have been looking at the DAC exclusively made for Drop by Grace Design, which is a leader in audio recording gear. It's only $80 and for a version with balanced outs, $150.

The non-existent shielding on these motherboards really affects the audio quality. I am using a Sound Devices USBPre2 which is a bit overkill, but it is otherwise just lying in my gear bag.

Thanks :thumbup:. When you look into it, it's surprising just how many DACs there are to be had, ranging from budget to pro, and there are a lot of people who build Hackintoshes for serious audio production purposes. They need the cleanest, purest sound available so the investment is probably worth it. When you listen to some indie work and realise how good it can all be ...

With purchased DRM audio the quality is incredibly variable - I've had some awful quality tracks from iTunes - so I've never been tempted to spend too much, There are other sources, and artists often release FLAC files which are better.

I guess it's a balancing-act knowing how good the soource is and what hardware you need to get the best out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back