Contribute
Register

USB 3 Not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
PJALM, wherever you got this information I am afraid this is not quite correct. There is no hackintosh community wide failure of USB 2.0 devices plugged into USB 3.0 ports. I use a Z77X-UD5H and I use 7 or 8 different USB 2.0 Flash drives and USB 2.0 External Hard drives and they all work perfectly when plugged into my rear USB 3.0 ports. If I use the front USB 3.0 they do not work.

If you motherboard has a builtin USB 3.0 HUB, USB 2.0 Media devices will work, if it does not they will not work. This applies to the Intel USB 3.0 ports only.

I can confirm on Ivy Bridge, the USB 3.0 sockets on my Gigabyte Z77X-UP5-TH work absolutely fine with USB 2.0 devices. :D You need to update to firmware F11 and change XHCI to AUTO, and Preboot XHCI detection to enabled, as well as enabling USB 3.0 and USB legacy support. Through my method you can get it to recognise at boottime with 10.8.2. As long as you select NO USB DRIVERS AT ALL WHEN INSTALLING MULTIBEAST THE FIRST TIME, it'll work.
If it doesn't work for you, a clean install most certainly will if you set it to the above settings...

Your motherboard has the builtin USB 3.0 HUB this is why USB 2.0 media devices work on some ports.

Scratch that....I got my USB 3.0 ports working on my Asus P8Z68 V PRO Sandy Bridge board!!! :D

The key I found, is you must MATCH your USB 3.0 to the BRAND of USB CONTROLLER DRIVER.

If you use Asmedia USB 3.0 ports, use Multibeast Caldigit driver.
If you use NEC/Renesa USB 3.0 ports, use Multibeast Lacie driver.
If you are on a Z77 (Ivy Bridge) board on 10.8.2, install NO USB 3.0 DRIVER.

In BIOS you need to enable Legacy USB, USB 3.0 and XHCI=Auto and Preboot XHCI Detection. This
should allow you to run USB 2.0 & 3.0 sticks on USB 3.0 ports at boot.

And on Asus boards like my P8Z68 V PRO board, you may need to update your Bluetooth's firmware!
This is because the Bluetooth is most likely attached to the board via USB internally. It may be because of it not working properly that it is causing some sort of communication error with the bus overall.

Anyways I got my BT module update for my Asus board here (using the TAR file)
> http://legacy.tonymacx86.com/viewto...id=020178115d779855e0854d08e6817762&start=230

If things still don't work, you may need to update your BIOS to the latest firmware and repair disk permissions and caches
for it to work.

In BIOS you need to enable Legacy USB, USB 3.0 and XHCI=Auto and Preboot XHCI Detection. This should allow you to run USB 2.0 & 3.0 sticks on USB 3.0 ports at boot.

Your GA-Z77X-UP5 TH does in fact have the mentioned USB3 Hub onboard that is why USB2 media devices work not some BIOS setting. Your ASUS board uses ASMedia and not the Intel USB3.

Keep it up PJALM. I must've got tired of explaining this Z77 + USB3 hub issue to people. :lol:

There's an explanation here, with a diagram and all! :)

On the GA-Z77X-UP5 the only USB3 ports that don't go through onboard hubs are the two coming out the F_USB30_1 header (the one nearest the RAM slots).

So...there's nothing else to do, right?I've been searching and it seems that the only way of using USB3 ports with USB2 devices is through an external USB3, doesn't it?

Or any news I've missed?

PJALM and DBP,

Something new.

After updating to 10.8.3 and using the latest MB 5.3.0
I have now the USB2 drives working on the USB3 port.
Which was never working before !! :headbang:

I was surprise when reading DrTom new build, that he had all working.
I did my update and it's working.

So, the previous limitation on my GA-B75M-D3H was not hardware. :crazy:

The USB3 issue on your old mobo was indeed hardware which the USB Multiplex patch fixes however the new Universal USB3 kext also does the multiplexing so thats why it now works, if you remove that kext your usb will no longer work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back