Motherboard
ASRock H97M-ITX/AC
CPU
i3-4170
Graphics
HD4400
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
So, in preparing to update my 9 series machine from El Capitan to Sierra I wanted to clone my hard drive. However the machine will not recognize the USB 3 external drive despite having done so before (I have previously created a clone of the Mac drive). This led me to investigate the issue a little and I discovered that I appear only to have USB 2 ports on the XHCI controller and that I have the GenericUSBXHCI.kext installed. I suspect that this is not the correct configuration for my motherboard (ASRock H97M ITX) and that I should really be using the FakePCIID and FakePCIID_XHCIMux kexts together with the patch to increase the number of ports.

So my question is this - should I work on modifying the configuration of the USB ports or should I simply do the update to Sierra and then worry about the USB port configuration. If I update to Sierra would it just be a case of then using Multibeast to install the Series 9 kext and the increased number of ports followed by port identification and excluding those not required?

Appreciate feedback on how best to proceed.

So, in preparing to update my 9 series machine from El Capitan to Sierra I wanted to clone my hard drive. However the machine will not recognize the USB 3 external drive despite having done so before (I have previously created a clone of the Mac drive). This led me to investigate the issue a little and I discovered that I appear only to have USB 2 ports on the XHCI controller and that I have the GenericUSBXHCI.kext installed. I suspect that this is not the correct configuration for my motherboard (ASRock H97M ITX) and that I should really be using the FakePCIID and FakePCIID_XHCIMux kexts together with the patch to increase the number of ports.

So my question is this - should I work on modifying the configuration of the USB ports or should I simply do the update to Sierra and then worry about the USB port configuration. If I update to Sierra would it just be a case of then using Multibeast to install the Series 9 kext and the increased number of ports followed by port identification and excluding those not required?

Appreciate feedback on how best to proceed.

Can I simply run the latest version of MultiBeast and specify the Series 7/8/9 kext and the Series 100 port limit patch to make all the ports visible. Would I need to remove the GenericUSBXHCI kext if I go down this route?

Thanks.

So what Did you do?
I will most likely skip High Sierra and go straight do Mojave.
But currently I work on fixing the USB 3 Problem first. My iPad won't charge, and I want to work with it, while it is connected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back