Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have a bit of a problem with my external USB 3 drives. They spontaneously fall off the bus, and a second or two later, re-appear. They will stay up for 5 or 6 or so hours, and then disconnect/reconnect.

More specifically, this seems to happen with my multiple-drive enclosures. I have so far tried my MediaPro, TripLite, and ICYDock enclosures (which hold 4, 2, and 4 drives respectively.) There are never 4, and almost always just two drives in any given enclosure. (I should note that all these enclosures are not new, and have been in use on my previous computer and OS for almost a decade without spontaneously disconnecting.)

I've tried different cables; different enclosures; different mobo ports. Regardless of all of this, the enclosure, and all its drives will stay up for hours, and then suddenly disconnect for a couple of seconds.

The last time this happened, the machine was backing up to one of them, and needless to say, the disconnect totally trashed the drive. Could not even be repaired, but required a full reformat. Needless to say, this is "not good." I'd like to be able to trust the connection again.

I'm running 10.14.6, and you can see the mobo etc in my sig.

What I -did- do for the first time, at the urging of a moderator, is create an SSDT_USB.aml for the Clover/ACPI/patched directory. I did this to limit the ports to 15. That's when the trouble started. I ran that way for a few weeks, and then a few days ago, I created the "power" SSDT-EC.aml and SSDT-USBX.aml, to see if that would help. (It made no difference.)

I did not have this issue (dropping connection) when I was using the injected code in config.plist, as provided by MultiBeast. However that was mostly with my previous hardware. I did the SSDT-thing quite early on with my new 390, when the moderator insisted that was the "right way to go, and will eliminate all kinds of problems."

I suspect, of course, that it's the SSDT_USB.aml. I can provide a copy of the source I used to generate it, if desired. (I assume I screwed it up somehow.)

I'd sure appreciate some help in figuring out why this problem exists, and how to fix it. I'm pretty much out of my depth at this point.

Thanks!

I have a bit of a problem with my external USB 3 drives. They spontaneously fall off the bus, and a second or two later, re-appear. They will stay up for 5 or 6 or so hours, and then disconnect/reconnect.

More specifically, this seems to happen with my multiple-drive enclosures. I have so far tried my MediaPro, TripLite, and ICYDock enclosures (which hold 4, 2, and 4 drives respectively.) There are never 4, and almost always just two drives in any given enclosure. (I should note that all these enclosures are not new, and have been in use on my previous computer and OS for almost a decade without spontaneously disconnecting.)

I've tried different cables; different enclosures; different mobo ports. Regardless of all of this, the enclosure, and all its drives will stay up for hours, and then suddenly disconnect for a couple of seconds.

The last time this happened, the machine was backing up to one of them, and needless to say, the disconnect totally trashed the drive. Could not even be repaired, but required a full reformat. Needless to say, this is "not good." I'd like to be able to trust the connection again.

I'm running 10.14.6, and you can see the mobo etc in my sig.

What I -did- do for the first time, at the urging of a moderator, is create an SSDT_USB.aml for the Clover/ACPI/patched directory. I did this to limit the ports to 15. That's when the trouble started. I ran that way for a few weeks, and then a few days ago, I created the "power" SSDT-EC.aml and SSDT-USBX.aml, to see if that would help. (It made no difference.)

I did not have this issue (dropping connection) when I was using the injected code in config.plist, as provided by MultiBeast. However that was mostly with my previous hardware. I did the SSDT-thing quite early on with my new 390, when the moderator insisted that was the "right way to go, and will eliminate all kinds of problems."

I suspect, of course, that it's the SSDT_USB.aml. I can provide a copy of the source I used to generate it, if desired. (I assume I screwed it up somehow.)

I'd sure appreciate some help in figuring out why this problem exists, and how to fix it. I'm pretty much out of my depth at this point.

Thanks!
Use this tool and upload your problem reporting files:

Thank you. Your help is greatly appreciated. Debug zip is attached.
probably don't need: GenericUSBXHCI.kext, try without that

delete the kext, reboot and in terminal:

Code:
sudo kextcache -i /
then reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back