Graphics
HIS Radeon HD 6870
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Title says it all pretty much. Everything was fine on my system under 10.9.2 but when I upgraded to .3 I could no longer use my USB ports unless the device was plugged in when I booted. I tried some of the fixes people used under 10.9.1 and .2 but had no success. I had a seagate kext that I believe was for USB 3 so I removed that, kext beasted and restarted; no change. I ran the latest multibeast to see if maybe the generic USB3 kext got an update, no change again. I just deleted GenericUSBXHCI.kext and kext beasted - now I can use my USB 2.0 ports but not USB 3. I could deal with it since I have many ports, but my internal card reader is USB 3.0 and won't function like this.

Also noteworthy that it seemed like if I booted with a USB device plugged in then it would be fine. It just crashes when it is plugged in.

Thanks in advance!

Maybe Solved -

I did a google search with information I didn't have the first time I looked and came up with a post on these forums that suggested going to http://www.osx86.net/files/download/337-kext-for-etron-ej168-usb3/ for a driver. The post was a bit unclear and seemed to suggest that it was for WD drives only. I saved it to the desktop and ran kextbeast. My card reader powered up, I plugged in my USB 3 drive and also a USB 2 device that had caused crashes previously with no issues.

Also in the past, using genericusbxhi, my keyboard would typically stop functioning, or at best be very slow to respond, but I am typing this now with it plugged in. Stability is unknown since it has been 5 minutes, but anyone else having problems may want to try using that kext if an additional kext is needed on your system for USB 3.0

Bad advice. The kext did work well for a time but I think it is one I tried before and it results in the drives just magically ejecting themselves improperly. I see this thread has not really generated any views but if anyone has solved a similar experience, I'm willing to try things.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back