Contribute
Register

USB 3.0 problems with GA-X79-UP4 and i7-4930K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same issue here. I have resorted to doing all of my data transfers through the USB 2.0 ports until there is a fix for this. :banghead:

Also have the same problem. Hard drive does not disconnect, but file transfers bigger then 4 gig just don't work. they stop after 10 % and the disc does not respond. The disk works fine with usb 2.

Also noticed that one usb 3.0 disk works (lacie) but my usb 3.0 (Lacie Rugged, thunderbolt/usb3.0) does not work.

Any advice would be good!

Anyone figure out a fix for Mavericks? I've installed a usb3 card which works great but really would like to free up that slot for other things, so I'm trying to get the boards USB3 to work consistently... Seems to be the same problem you all are having. Copying stops and drive becomes unresponsive during large transfers on the GA-X79-UP4.

Thanks,

jb

Hey All,

I think I figured this out. I was having the same problem with my onboard usb 3 drives ejecting or just stopping mid transfer when transferring large amounts of data. I've done a lot of digging since then and have tested my current setup to the point I feel I can share and be (mostly) confident.

I'm on 10.10.4 - The problem followed me into Yosemite. I did install the 1.2.7 Generic USB Drivers For Yosemite, but that alone did not solve my issue. But what seems to have are some bios settings:

• Peripherals > Device Config > xHCI Hand-OFF > ENABLED (the default, but good to check)
  • Peripherals > Device Config > EHCI Hand-OFF > ENABLED

The default on EHCI was disabled. I believe this is what made the difference. I would try this before updating to the 1.2.7 Generic USB Drivers. Might need to do both, but you for sure need to Enable EHCI Hand OFF.

I got this information from envoy510 at a Wordpress site. I tried to post a thank you but it wouldn't let me.

Hope this can help others!

jb

Hi!
I am having the same problem. It stops copying after a while for big files.
I have 10.10.5 installed the last usb 3 driver with the last multibeast and tried also to anable the EHCI but nothing changes.

Well... I finally got Mac OS Sierra going on this board flawlessly except for USB 3.0. Has anyone been able to crack this issue? It seems strange that I have never been able to get this going. Especially with all the other great features of this board. I tried the fix listed above, but I can't even get the ports to be recognized by the system no matter what I do.

Hey All,

I think I figured this out. I was having the same problem with my onboard usb 3 drives ejecting or just stopping mid transfer when transferring large amounts of data. I've done a lot of digging since then and have tested my current setup to the point I feel I can share and be (mostly) confident.

I'm on 10.10.4 - The problem followed me into Yosemite. I did install the 1.2.7 Generic USB Drivers For Yosemite, but that alone did not solve my issue. But what seems to have are some bios settings:

• Peripherals > Device Config > xHCI Hand-OFF > ENABLED (the default, but good to check)
  • Peripherals > Device Config > EHCI Hand-OFF > ENABLED

The default on EHCI was disabled. I believe this is what made the difference. I would try this before updating to the 1.2.7 Generic USB Drivers. Might need to do both, but you for sure need to Enable EHCI Hand OFF.

I got this information from envoy510 at a Wordpress site. I tried to post a thank you but it wouldn't let me.

Hope this can help others!

jb

I think EHCI is the key here. I read Apple made changes to the way USB works since Mavericks / El-Capitan where device would be called EUSB in bios would have be changed in your DSDT to EHCI. Will look more into this myself as I am on Sierra and USB 3.0 not working and I ha problems with Mavericks and El-Capitan too. Seems USB 3.0 has been a long standing issue, even since OSx lion.

Well... I finally got Mac OS Sierra going on this board flawlessly except for USB 3.0. Has anyone been able to crack this issue? It seems strange that I have never been able to get this going. Especially with all the other great features of this board. I tried the fix listed above, but I can't even get the ports to be recognized by the system no matter what I do.

5Star, can you please link me to all your sources to how you got your set up on sierra (the up4 setup). we have the same specs and I can only seem to get elcapitan up and running (and still with the usb3 issues)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back