Motherboard
Supermicro X8DAL-I
CPU
Dual X5675
Graphics
GTX 960
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Might be useful to have a list of these cards in a central discussion. Please post cards that you know will work with AppleUSBXHCIPCI.kext WITHOUT any patching. As well, please only post cards that you know will run at actual USB 3.0 speeds and add the chipset. I just received an Inatek KT-4006 card and it appears to work perfectly OOB.

Screen Shot 2015-10-05 at 2.19.43 PM.png

Cards that work OOB in El Capitan:

Inatek KT-4006 (FL1100) > Amazon
Inateck KTU3FR-5O2I (FL1100) > Amazon

Note: Some reports that Orico PVU3-2O2I (FL1100) works but many are having trouble with it. Stick with the Inatek KT-4006 for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I install more than one of the Inateck KT4006 cards to get more USB3 ports? Or a combination of cards from different manufacturers?

Orico PVU3-2O2I (FL1100)

Mine is a PFU3-2O2I that looks exactly like the PVU3-2O2I card. This PCIe card is Mac compatible according to Orico's website. I have it working and powered via 4 Pin IDE/ATA Power Supply. However it does not work OOB because it makes my desktop to wake immediately after sleep and reboot instead of shutdown. I have this issue since I upgraded to El Capitan. On Yosemite I had it working OOB.
By the way, I am looking for a solution.
Your comments will be very appreciated. Thanks

I've had lots of issues trying to make USB3 work on my Rampage 4 Extreme using GenericUSBXHCI kext. Basically it just wasn't reliable (would not recognize drives at times or interrupt in the middle of a large file transfer). So I bit the bullet and purchased the recommended ORICO PVU3 202I USB3.0 PCI-Express card. When booted in Yosemite 10.10.5 it works, system profiler indicates that the host driver for USB3 is AppleUSBXHCI. Booted in El Cap however, system profiler only sees USB2.0. In Yosemite, the AppleUSBXHCI kext was located in the plugins folder inside IOUSBFamily kext. In El Cap, the AppleUSBXHCI kext seems to be missing. I made a copy of El Cap's IOUSBFamily kext, then copied the AppleUSBXHCI kext from 10.10.5 inside the plugin folder and installed it in S/L/E. Still no go, only USB 2.0 being recognized.

Any ideas?

I also bought the Orico PVU3-2O2I (FL1100)

Works OOB in 10.10 only

Does not work in 10.11

I tested on both Chameleon and Clover
I tested with and without GenericUSBXHCI.kext

Under no scenario does this card work OOB on 10.11

Last edited:
I also bought the Orico PVU3-2O2I (FL1100)

Works OOB in 10.10 only

Does not work in 10.11

I tested on both Chameleon and Clover
I tested with and without GenericUSBXHCI.kext

Under no scenario does this card work OOB on 10.11

I've found the location of the AppleUSBXHCI kext in El Cap. It's located in the plugins folder of another kext called IOUSBHostFamily. When booted into El Cap, it's listed under extensions in system profiler but it's indicated as being "not loaded". Anyone know how to force this kext to load during boot in El Cap?

Also, can anyone confirm whether the Inatek card works OOB in El Cap?

Thanks!

Inatek KT-4006 (FL1100) confirmed working OOB in El Cap. Great speeds. Can't boot from a disk connected to this card, though.

Also works fine in my version of 10.9.5, so it seems. Nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back