Contribute
Register

USB 3.0 on Gigabyte UEFI Motherboards- XHCI Mode Explained

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mightee said:
The USB driver in MultiBeast indicates that it can be unstable—how common an occurrence is that?
Do not use MultiBeast USB3 driver in Gigabyte Z77 mobos. Just turn on xHCI option in BIOS as explained before

I did a little experimenting with these settings after noticing odd sleep behavior.

Anytime I would wake from sleep my keyboard and mouse would take about 30 seconds to a full minute to "re-initialize". Also, any removable drive would say it wasn't ejected properly.

I went through UEFI changing one setting at a time.

With xHCI mode set to "enabled" I now have my keyboard and mouse immediately when waking from sleep, and drives are not ejected.

I can recreate the original symptoms by changing back to auto.
I'm using a ud5h on f8 with a 2500k. Mouse and KB connected to red 2.0 ports.
10.7.4 & BridgeHelper 5.0.

I'm really surprised that my keyboard and mouse connected to 2.0 ports were affected by this xHCI setting, and I'm posting it here to see if anyone has experienced the same.

As you may or may not know, Gigabyte has a setting in the BIOS called xHCI mode.
It can be set to Smart Auto, Auto, Enabled and Disabled.

Disabled turns off USB 3.0 entirely and makes all the ports USB 2.0.

Hi ! Does your statement apply also for motherboard's internal connectors ?

Thanks in advance !

I tried both Auto and Enabled options but my speeds are usb 2 familiar.I also try the method proposed by slugnet(with Ahci3dpartysata) but nothing happened.Any suggestions? I have 10.8.3 Mountain Lion

Just to complement the information.
I use clover on a H87M-D3H board, and have windows 7 and mavericks installed.

XHCI is the intel USB 3.0 controller and means how it will route the USB ports. If you enable it and also enable all the Hand Off options, Intel driver (on Mavericks and Windows) will route the USB ports like this:

All devices plugged on USB 2.0 ports will operate at USB 2.0 by the intel XHCI driver (mac inclusive)
All devices plugged on USB 3.0 ports will operate at USB 3.0 if they are compatible, if not it will operate at USB 2.0 by the same XHCI driver.

All other options (XHCI and Hand off) will change this behavior allowing more compatible routes but unfortunately some USB 3.0 devices will operate at 2.0 speeds because some routes has 2.0 devices plugged and will be routed to an old EHCI driver (route = hubs and devices plugged in a chain...)

In my case, my monitor U2713H has USB 3.0 ports and USB 3.0 Card Reader and I plugged an apple keyboard (who has a internal usb 2.0 hub with 2 ports and a IOGEAR bluetooth plugged under the keyboard) and a Transcend USB 3.0 card reader (because this one has compact flash port). So I have an USB 3.0 cable from the monitor to USB 3.0 port on my motherboard and a mix of 3.0 and 2.0 devices plugged.

In all modes but XHCI enabled and hand off enabled the route was transformed to a USB 2.0 speed or one of the card readers (the Realtek inside de monitor) became 2.0

The same behavior happens on Windows 7. So, it is not a Mavericks or Clover behavior, but a hardware definition.

Unfortunately, in XHCI enabled and Hand Off enable all devices works but the iogear bluetooth won't pair any devices. It seems a failed compatibility product, because other bluetooth dongles, like a generic broadcom 2.1 I also have, works ok . The iogear only pair if it plugged on a USB 2.0 native port AND XHCI in auto or manual (routing all USB 2.0 port to EHCI driver but not the XHCI intel driver). Even in Windows...

Also, i burn one of the iogear trying to work directly on a USB 3.0 port, expecting it works on 2.0 compatible mode, but it become hotter and hotter until it burn. I have another one to try and it have the same behavior (I plug off before the second one burn... of course). All the other usb devices i have works fine on Usb 3.0

I will try to find another bluetooth 4.0 dongle with broadcom chipset that will have compatibility with USB 3.0 at least intel and apple have another driver to deal with this problem.

BTW, intel launch another USB 3.0 driver for windows, but i can't install until gigabyte have another BIOS (i use F6, the last one). The driver crash every time i try to install, and I research all other motherboard makers (asus, etc) and all of them has a note to use the older version of USB 3.0 intel driver. It seems the new driver require a new bios. we need to have patience until they are available....

and intel has now two USB 3.0 drivers, one exclusively to series 8 boards and other for all older series boards. it seems the USB bug on haswell chipset (first stepping) is more severe that we think...

Just to complement the information.
I use clover on a H87M-D3H board, and have windows 7 and mavericks installed.

XHCI is the intel USB 3.0 controller and means how it will route the USB ports. If you enable it and also enable all the Hand Off options, Intel driver (on Mavericks and Windows) will route the USB ports like this:

All devices plugged on USB 2.0 ports will operate at USB 2.0 by the intel XHCI driver (mac inclusive)
All devices plugged on USB 3.0 ports will operate at USB 3.0 if they are compatible, if not it will operate at USB 2.0 by the same XHCI driver.

Thanks a lot! The Intel USB 3.0 controller works!) With Clover 2916 on Z77X-UD5H bios F16g.

Resurrecting this post, I aam having a problem, which I think is a hardware issue.

I have :-
Z77X-UP5 TH BIOS F12
Intel 3770

I have tried many xHCI settings because I want to be able to boot from USB 3.0 external drives for recovery purposes.

Setting to "Smart Auto:, nothing happens with OSX, if I boot to Windows, first boot the drive show green light (USB 2.0), the drive is a Buffalo HD-PCTU3, once Windows has loaded drivers, the light turns blue (USB 3.0 good), if I then reboot the OS the drive light remains blue, as it should, but the trouble is that my USB mouse and keyboard (attached for managing BIOS) do not work?

The only way I can get USB to be available before boot is to set xHCI to "Smart Auto" or "Enabled", "Smart Auto" only changes USB 3.0 drives to blue after successfully booting Windows and rebooting. With xHCI set to enabled, USB 3.0 stays blue but usb 2.0 devices (keyboard and mouse) do not work?

I have tried all combinations of xHCI and EHCI Handoff settings with the above xHCI settings.

Has anyone got a combination of settings that work and successfully allow USB 3.0 boot and still get into Chimera to select the USB 3.0 drive?

OK, so with a bit more messing, I discovered the issue is with the front usb 2.0 header, it doesn't get enabled with xHCI enabled, either through "Enabled" or "Smart Auto", plug the keyboard direct into the rear ports and it works, it doesn't work on the Dell Monitor IUSB Hub plugged into the same port, the keyboard has to go into the port directly.

Hi everyone,

I have issue with my apple cinema 30" display and z97x-ud5h 32GB ram GT 740 hackintosh. Problem is as cinema display has firewire and usb connectors and when I plug to motherboard in usb port bios hangs out when turning pc on, when its booted in OS x 10.10.2 works fine. When usb unplugged and PCI-e card firewire 400 is plugged in, then can't boot on mac os 10.10.2 it shows different issues every single time, but when its booted in mac os its fine. Does anybody knows similar topic? Or knows what to do to solve it.

Thanks in advance
Julius

B75m-d3h

I have a massive problem with this. My B75M-D3H has only ONE working USB3.0 port (via front case 20-pin connection). All others work for a few minutes, but the moment you transfer a large(ish) file, it will fail, and USB port will fail to work from then on (Under Yosemite 10.10.5). This is 7-series Intel USB 3.0 XHC, so should not be an issue, or need drivers...

Sadly, USB3.0 ports behave identically on Windows 7 64-bit, so I am worried it is a hardware fault. I have tried all combinations of BIOS settings, and it never works.

I have tested all Windows versions of Intel Driver. Still no luck.

I am in no position to get a replacement MB, and even if I did, I'm worried it will have the same problem.

I believe this is due to an incompatibility with Panther Point and Sandy Bridge, and will never work EVER !!??

There is a chance motherboard is Cougar Point, but I don't recall 2600k being an Ivy Bridge CPU.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back