Contribute
Register

USB 3.0 on Gigabyte UEFI Motherboards- XHCI Mode Explained

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im sorry, I am kind of new to this.
Thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction.
This board is Ace!

Could someone help me out, please? I enabled xHCI by setting it to auto mode, enabled "switchable" on all 4 ports, enabled hand-off and disabled C64 (or whatever) emulation, but not a single USB3 port works and shows up in System Information. When I connect a USB device, it powers it for one second (seen by the light on the device) and then cuts it off.

xHCI auto + disable handoff freezes my system when I insert a USB device, any other combination just doesn't work either.

edit — So after searching for 2 days and 1 minute after posting this I got it to work with USB2 devices. Don't really care about USB3 right now, since I don't have any. But: thanks for the info on the xHCI options! :)

What I have right now: xHCI disabled, hand-off (x2) enabled and emulation enabled. Maybe it powers down the USB2 device because it can only read USB3 devices? Legacy support would be nice though.

You do know you have to install it onto a target drive, you can't install it on the booted OS drive, as that doesn't work. I.e. you have to have a second install of OS X and plug the OS drive you're trying to install Bridgehelper on as a secondary drive.

Quagh said:
thelostswede said:
Did you install Bridgehelper 5.0?
Yep, tried that twice already. Third time's the charm?

GA-Z77-DS3H btw.

Lolwhut. Didn't know that (I didn't read that anywhere?). Though I applied BridgeHelper to my Lion install disk after applying Unibeast, would that have done it? And shouldn't it work then?

Uhm, can I run Bridgehelper via Terminal? I have an external USB Lion installation disk, might copy it on and run it from there.

Going to try this: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4384 ... g-terminal Thanks!

a6f691ac said:
XHCI Mode = Disabled
The on-board USB 3.0 port function like a 2.0 port

XHCI Mode = Enabled
The on-board USB 3.0 port function like a 3.0 port

XHCI Mode = Auto
The on-board USB 3.0 port function like a 2.0 port before OS USB 3.0 driver load.
If you reboot the OS, the on-board USB 3.0 port again function like a 2.0 port during this reboot BIOS phase before OS USB 3.0 driver load.

XHCI Mode = Smart Auto
The on-board USB 3.0 port function like a 2.0 port before OS USB 3.0 driver load.
If you reboot the OS, during this reboot BIOS phase, BIOS is "Smart" enough to avoid downgrade the USB 3.0 port back to 2.0 functionality before OS USB 3.0 driver load. So Smart Auto is faster than Auto on 2nd boot onward, but Enabled is fastest once you are sure the OS has the USB 3.0 driver installed, because it avoid the switching. Making the on-board USB 3.0 port function like a 2.0 port is mainly to support OS installation or to support OS that does not have build-in USB 3.0 driver, so that the USB keyboard would still work if the user plug-in a USB keyboard or any other USB devices into the USB 3.0 ports before the OS is installed with the USB 3.0 driver come with the motherboard.

The USB driver in MultiBeast indicates that it can be unstable—how common an occurrence is that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back