Contribute
Register

USB 3.0 not working with El Capitan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to be the idiot here, but what do you mean by series 7/8/9 boards?
Current Z170 motherboards are the 10-series. H/Z97 are the 9-series. Etc.

I have a GA-Z170-HD3 mother board, i5-6400 with latest El Capitan installed and am unable to get my USBs to recognize any of my usb3 devices..still kind of new to this hackintosh systems so please explain so I am able to understand and install the fix.

Hello. I installed the RehabMan's FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext as P1LGRIM advised. The backpanel USB3 ports work fine but sometimes the frontpanel's USB3 ports crash when there is for instance an external hardrive installed. Is there any solution for this crashing problem?

USB 3.0 not working with El Capitan Multibeast 8.0

Here's how to fix:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capitan-laptop-support/173616-guide-10-11-usb-changes-solutions.html

For 7/8/9 series, the easiest fix is to install FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext which enables full support. Use KextBeast to install to /Library/Extensions.

https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-fake-pci-id/downloads
Thanks installing those two .kext files fixed it for me. Thanks a tonne. Good news for me is that now sleep and wake works flawlessly which was a pain in Yosemite.

Any chance this will also fix the same problem on Sierra? I have a Z87X-OC with no 3.0 ports now.

After installing the 2 kexts only, USB ports stopped working at all. No more mouse and keyboard. :crazy: Z97X-UD5H. Everything was fine after UniBeast and MultiBeast 8.0, except USB 3.0 and sleep mode.

same mobo and same problem here, did you find any solution?

Furthermore I had to install the two kexts manually cause multibeast gives me install error any kext I try to install

I know it's been a long time since these original posts, but I had the same problem. Install kexts and all USB went away. The trick was this line from the original linked solution.

Configuration of the USB controllers is often dependent on BIOS settings. For most PCs, you should use XHCI "auto" or "smart auto".

Mine was still set to Enabled which worked okay with Yosemite. I set it to Auto and everything seems to be working fine now.

Hey all,

I was wondering is this method still available to Sierra? Does anyone know if it will work with an Etron EJ198 controller.
My other specs are under my avatar.

I cannot change the XCHI from enabled to auto as there is no option to on my UEFI bios.

My USB controllers are recognised natively but cannot be used as one one is enabled and breaks when you plug out a usb.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Ignore this wrong thread

Last edited:
Got ASRock H97m-itx working with the help of webstar here.
I had to do TWO THINGS
1)put the 3 kexts into the EFI/Clover/10.12 (the two discussed here and USBInjectAll.kext)
AND
2)actually type in these entries in the kext section of clover configurator(to increase the port limit)
Name = AppleUSBXHCIPCI
Find* [HEX] = 83BD74FFFFFF10
Replace * [HEX] = 83BD74FFFFFF1B

So I got USB 3 working!
But I read Rehabman's post here, and he goes to great lengths to say that
USBInjectAll.kext is a temporary fix
'This kext attempts to inject all ports for each controller, and for hubs as well.'

Although the video by Ibrahim that webstar linked indicates that the patch increases the number of ports to 26, Rehabman says you only need 20 (except for 100 series - H170 and Z170).

Rehabman also says
'The config_patches.plist also contains the DSDT patches required to rename EHC1->EH01 and EHC2->EH02 which is important to avoid collisions between this kext and any built-in port injectors in the native kexts for your SMBIOS.

Note: Do not plan to use the patch long-term. It could be problematic. If you have more than 15 ports on XHC, you should use FakePCIID_XHCIMux to route the USB2 component of those USB3 ports to EHCI. It is easy to stay under the limit if up to 8-USB2 ports are routed off XHC.'

But I have no real understanding of what that means. Or where to begin to understand that paragraph.

An even more complicated exposition for El Capitan is here and here. In that guide, he looks into a file named
/System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBHostFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBXHCIPCI.kext/Contents/Info.plist

But I have NO IOUSBHostFamily.kext in my extensions folder - so maybe Sierra changed things again after El Capitan.

After installing the 2 kexts only, USB 3.0 works. However, the speed is still not as fast as USB 3.0.

After removing everything related to USB, the USB 3.0 works like a charm

My motherboard is Gigaby GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD5 and I can't enable USB 3.0 Please help... I tried everything above. Thank you so much in advance !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back