Contribute
Register

USB 3.0 Install on MBP High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hi All,
I have a Mid-2010 Macbook Pro 17in. I was running the GMYLE® ExpressCard 34mm to USB 3.0 Adapter perfectly until I upgraded to High Sierra. Now my computer won't boot up. I get the Apple logo but it won't actually boot from there.

I would greatly appreciate any help you can offer. I'm not a tech genius by any means but manged to get the ExpressCard working before high sierra. I'm hoping someone can dumb it down a little and help me out!

Attachments

• 2018-01-03 14.35.01.jpg
    2018-01-03 14.35.01.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 224
Hi All,
I have a Mid-2010 Macbook Pro 17in. I was running the GMYLE® ExpressCard 34mm to USB 3.0 Adapter perfectly until I upgraded to High Sierra. Now my computer won't boot up. I get the Apple logo but it won't actually boot from there.

I would greatly appreciate any help you can offer. I'm not a tech genius by any means but manged to get the ExpressCard working before high sierra. I'm hoping someone can dumb it down a little and help me out!
you may want to try the Apple forums

Hi All,

You could make an appointment at the Apple Genius bar since you have a real Mac. Does the machine boot with the adapter card ejected?

If the machine boots with the card ejected, that suggests that it's a hardware/software combination. There may be a kext driver that doesn't load if the card is ejected. You would want to find out if the manufacturer supplies a High Sierra driver for the adapter (not a certainty).

If the machine does not boot with the card ejected, that suggests a software problem. There may be a kext driver that is loading regardless of the hardware being inserted and you need to stop it from loading. The solution to this kind of problem is probably to try booting in safe mode (I believe you hold SHIFT while booting to enter safe mode, which does not load all drivers/kexts) and see if you can identify and remove the kext from either /Library/Extensions or /System/Library/Extensions, or, if you have the installer for the adapter that you originally used (or you can redownload it) it may have an uninstall function built in. Alternatively you can boot in single user mode (possibly by holding COMMAND and S while booting) which will take you to a simple command prompt which would allow you to review system files. Note that you can't remove files such as kexts in single user mode unless you first mount the drive in read-write mode, with a command something like 'mount -o update /'.

Is there an easier path between two points? If you have a full Time machine backup, you can reinstall High Sierra but this time choose to wipe the drive, then restore from your Time Machine backup. Hopefully this will not restore the kext/driver that may be causing your issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back