Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI
CPU
Intel Core i7 6700k @4.0GHz
Graphics
Nvidia GTX 660Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hi there,

I've recently finished my first Hackintosh build and I am having an issue getting my external hard drives to show up in Finder and Disk Utility.

From posts I've read of people having similar problems to me, the common solution is to change XCHI Mode in the BIOS of the motherboard from Smart Auto to Auto, however, after being unable to find this option within my BIOS settings I emailed Gigabyte asking where it is located and they told me that "Our 100 series MB do not provide "XCHI Mode" options, it's only support is 'XCHI Hand-off'".

Because of this, I'm not sure what else to do or try. I was wondering if anyone else running this motherboard has had a similar problem or if anyone knows of any solutions/troubleshooting methods to this issue?

Any help/feedback would be greatly appreciated as I work in media and I need to be able to load projects I have off of external hard drives and copy them onto the internals of the Hackintosh.

As a side note, all my peripherals, such as USB keyboard and mouse as well as external USB sound card work absolutely fine, the hard drive powers on when connected and even shows the specific Blue LED lighting colour to signify that it is connected via USB 3.0 as opposed to 2.0, just it does not show up or become selectable in finder or disk utility. (The external HDD is formatted to Mac OS as I use it everyday with my MacBook Pro).

Thank you in advance,
Tim

Specs:
Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI
Intel Core i7 6700k
16Gb Corsair Vengence LPX DDR4 Ram @2400MHz
Nvidia GTX 660ti
Corsair Obsidian 450D Case

Having the exact same issue on a Gigabyte Z370 / i7-8700.

Did you find a solution?

Edit: never mind. Works now.

Not sure why; after Update 2018-001 USB 2/3 now works

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back