Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> USB 2.0/3.0/3.1 Fix

I also had issues getting this to work at first. Editing my config.plist file in Clover Configurator would not get my USB 3 ports working. After several tries deleting and adding entries through the Configurator I eventually decided to look at the config.plist file in a text editor (BBEdit). Whilst there I decided to delete all entries under <key>KextsToPatch</key> with the exception of the one which allows external drives to be shown correctly in the finder. Having done this I copied the code from post 2, saved the config file and restarted. All of the USB 3 ports were back and working as they were in Mojave. I have connected external hard drives, USB sticks and my SD card reader and all have worked as expected and at the correct speed.

I am not sure why the changes worked with a text edit of the plist file and through the Clover Configurator GUI but this method worked for me. Below is a copy of my entries under <key>KextsToPatch</key>.

Code:
<key>KextsToPatch</key>
        <array>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>External icons patch</string>
                <key>Disabled</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>
                RXh0ZXJuYWw=
                </data>
                <key>InfoPlistPatch</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Name</key>
                <string>AppleAHCIPort</string>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>
                SW50ZXJuYWw=
                </data>
            </dict>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>USB Port Limit Patch 1 - PMheart and daliansky</string>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>
                g/sPDw==
                </data>
                <false/>
                <key>Name</key>
                <string>com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHostFamily</string>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>
                g/s/Dw==
                </data>
            </dict>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>USB Port Limit Patch 2 - PMheart and daliansky</string>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>
                g/kPDw==
                </data>
                <false/>
                <key>Name</key>
                <string>com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBXHCI</string>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>
                g/k/Dw==
                </data>
            </dict>
        </array>

The first <dict> section is the code for the external drives to be shown correctly and then the next two sections are the code I copied from post 2.

I have the same problem as you had. This computer is my "Mini ITX 2," the Skylake I built in 2016. I am running Catalina 10.15.1 (build 19B88) using SMBIOS iMac 18,3. I went through the same steps as you did and checked my work in "PlistEdit Pro," for which I have just paid $30. All the "Find" and "Replace" values match yours shown in your post #17, but the only thing that changed was the 15th of 15 ports changed from "USR1" to "SS01." I have never seen a longer list. This is very weird, since on my this computer and my other 3 computers running High Sierra and Mojave, the port limit patches have always worked. IORegistryExplorer shows HS01 through HS14 plus either USR1 or SS01, depending on whether my SSD is in ACPI/patched or not. Any suggestions?

[Edit: Solved the problem by bypassing the port-limit-removal patching procedure and going back to the port mapping on this computer I had done in 2016. Used Clover to dump the DSDT, found SSDT-3 in its listing, copied it and edited it in "MaciASL RM 1.31" to choose the ports I wanted. Put the edited SSDT-3 in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched and rebooted... IORegistryExplorer showed all the right ports, and all the extra port types were gone. Checked operation of all ports and they worked as advertised.]

Last edited:
you have not even tried... back to study usbinjectall implementation
+your config is full of useless and obsolete stuff

Maybe, but this is not easier. What should I do? This config formed over the years, maybe there is a lot of garbage in it.
it may be worth having a look here:

SergeNu,

I agree your config.plist leaves a lot to be desired. Some things are missing, like any SMBIOS at all. Other things are unnecessary, although I am no expert. I have a working computer ("Mini-ITX 1" below) with Gigabyte GA-H87N-WIFI mother board, i7-4770K CPU, and working USB ports. If you want, you can unzip my CLOVER file from that computer (attached below), have a look at it, and see what you might want to change. Since the motherboard is different, obviously the config.plist and perhaps other things will be wrong for you. But you could go with trial and error to see what items might be right for you.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    10.3 MB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Check using latest USBInjectALL as its 0.7.3 now. Search for Sniki on GitHub. @Sniki has taken over from RehabMan.

Set in Clover Configurator at KextsToPatch tab:

com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHostFamily 83FB0F0F 83FB3F0F
com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBXHCI 83F90F0F 83F93F0F

Credits go to PMheart and daliansky

Beside that use USBInjectAll.kext

Cheers!

I don't supposed this gives any USB 3.0 love (read: functionality) to the Z68 boards, does it?

I don't supposed this gives any USB 3.0 love (read: functionality) to the Z68 boards, does it?
No. USB 3 motherboard ports do not work on the Z68 motherboards. You have to disable USB 3 in the BIOS because macOS doesn't support the controller. From my Golden Build Z68 build description:
Finally, we need to turn off the USB 3.0 Eltron Chipset (and, thus, the USB 3.0 ports) because there is no support for the chipset in Sierra nor has anyone created a driver/kext for the Eltron Chipset. Unfortunately, if we don't do that, Sierra won't install or run after installation.
Integrated Peripherals >
R_USB30 Controler > Disable
R_USB30 Turbo > Disable
F_USB30 Controler > Disable
If you want USB 3, you'll have to use a compatible USB 3 card (which I can't remember the compatible controller at the moment...Amedia?).

Back