Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> USB 2.0/3.0/3.1 Fix

I collapsed the tree for EH01 and EH02 to do a screen grab of XHC. EH01 and EH02 show several (4, 6, can't remember) ports each also.

I did plug a USB 3.0 external drive into all ports before my original submission. I was trying to follow the info guide for USB on Hackintool as far as determining which ports to keep vs delete before creating the config file . . . but it didn't seem to address my situation fully. I substituted the USBINJECTALL kext for the one created by Hackintool.

I think that's how it went . . . I'm not at my computer at the moment to verify.

Okay. Still in the dark as to why you have so many ports showing all over the place.

There is a new Guide for USB configuration using @headkaze 's Hackintool coming this weekend sometime. It may help you understand a little more. It will be in the Post Installation / General Help section.

Remember a pretty basic tenet - you can't have more USB ports than you actually have (!)

:)

If I plug a USB 2.0 device into the front-left port it shows up as HP15. The same port with a 3.0 device is SS01. The front-right port is HP22 (2.0) and SS02 (3.0). The 4 rear ports are HP11, HP12, HP13 and HP14. These are as reported in Hackintool.

If I plug a USB 2.0 device into the front-left port it shows up as HP15. The same port with a 3.0 device is SS01. The front-right port is HP22 (2.0) and SS02 (3.0). The 4 rear ports are HP11, HP12, HP13 and HP14. These are as reported in Hackintool.

So that indicates which ports are the "real" ones :thumbup:

HP24 also shows up as USB2.0-CRW. I'm assuming that is the memory card reader, so I should keep it as well, yes? Also, PR11 and PR21 both show up as IOUSBHostDevice . . . also keepers?
Attached ports.png

Last edited:
I generated the files as per the above config . . . and now I've lost the EH01 controller and the HPxx ports. After removing the patched file and USBPorts.kext it is still refreshing as in this pic. My wife thinks I'm and idiot and I'm starting to believe her. What the heck did I do wrong?
USB Port Problems.png

I generated the files as per the above config . . . and now I've lost the EH01 controller and the HPxx ports. After removing the patched file and USBPorts.kext it is still refreshing as in this pic. My wife thinks I'm and idiot and I'm starting to believe her. What the heck did I do wrong?
View attachment 435738

In my experience, that is a Wife's standard opinion of her spouse! ;)

Okay, if I understand correctly, you say removing USBPorts.kext and the SSDT still leaves you with the ports we can see? In that case, instead, try running IORegistryExporer. This will show you how your ports are actually configured. Look for both EH01 and EH02, along with XHC.

What is happening can depend on which kexts you have installed. For example USBInjectAll.kext opens up all the ports on your motherboard and the port-limit removal patch lets macOS see them.

If USBInjectAll is not installed then you should just see 6x HS** USB2 ports and 2x SS** USB3 ports (these doubled, because they can accept USB2 devices too) for a total of 10 configurable ports, because that's all the motherboard has.

Checking the difference between your two Hackintool screengrabs, we can see that in post #37 you have 2x SS ports and 9x USB2 ports. In post #27 you have way too many and post #31 with IOreg shows all ports are on a "hub" RHUB at that point.

Conclusion:

I think you need to review what USB-related kexts you have installed. There's a lot of confusing stuff going on here.

Let us know what kexts are in both EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other and L/E.

In my experience, that is a Wife's standard opinion of her spouse! ;)

Okay, if I understand correctly, you say removing USBPorts.kext and the SSDT still leaves you with the ports we can see? In that case, instead, try running IORegistryExporer. This will show you how your ports are actually configured. Look for both EH01 and EH02, along with XHC.

What is happening can depend on which kexts you have installed. For example USBInjectAll.kext opens up all the ports on your motherboard and the port-limit removal patch lets macOS see them.

If USBInjectAll is not installed then you should just see 6x HS** USB2 ports and 2x SS** USB3 ports (these doubled, because they can accept USB2 devices too) for a total of 10 configurable ports, because that's all the motherboard has.

Checking the difference between your two Hackintool screengrabs, we can see that in post #37 you have 2x SS ports and 9x USB2 ports. In post #27 you have way too many and post #31 with IOreg shows all ports are on a "hub" RHUB at that point.

Conclusion:

I think you need to review what USB-related kexts you have installed. There's a lot of confusing stuff going on here.

Let us know what kexts are in both EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other and L/E.

Currently I have only FakeSMC, Lilu, WhateverGreen and RealtekRTL8111 kexts in EFI/Clover/kexts/Other. In Library/Extensions I have no added USB kexts at the moment.

Currently I have only FakeSMC, Lilu, WhateverGreen and RealtekRTL8111 kexts in EFI/Clover/kexts/Other. In Library/Extensions I have no added USB kexts at the moment.

Okay, but something is causing the effects your screengrabs are showing us. That just doesn't happen on its own and at random. We are missing some info here.

USBInjectAll.kext should be a minimum until you are configured.

I reinstalled USBInjectAll and am now back to where I was in post #27. I believe that the ports I want to keep are the ones shown in post #37. So if I delete all other ports I should then be able to export the remaining ports and create the required files, as per the Hackintool instructions, as follows:
  • Copy SSDT-EC.aml (if created) to EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched <-- I did this
  • Choose one of the following two:
    1. Copy USBPorts.kext to EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other or; <-- I did this
    2. Copy SSDT-UIAC.aml and SSDT-USBX.aml (if created) to EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched
My export does create SSDT-UIAC.aml, but not SSDT-USBX.aml. Should I do method "2" instead of "1"?

Update:
I used method "2" this time, and after a reboot here is the result:
USB method 2.png

Note that when I generated the files it knew that SS01/SS02 were 3Gbps and all of the rest were 480Mbps (except for HP13/HP16 @ 12Mbps - used by keyboard / mouse dongle I believe).

Last edited:
Back