Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS TUF Z270
CPU
Intel i7-6700K
Graphics
nVidia GeForce GTX 1070
So I built my Hackintosh about five years ago, and I remember very little about the work I put into it. It has functioned just fine for the past five years, but it is time for me to upgrade to Windows 10. (I currently can't upgrade past High Sierria on the OS X side due to the nVidia 1070 in use, but I am now being handicapped by running Windows 7.) My hardware should be perfectly compatible with Windows 10. Hardware isn't a concern. [Edit: I wanted to upgrade to Win 11. But Win 10 seems like it might be the only option.]

Here is a link to the original build:

Windows 7 currently lives on its own Samsung 960 EVO Series - 250GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD.

OS X High Sierra currently lives on its own Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD.

Unibeast and Multibeast were used for the setup, and Clover Bootloader is currently used to select how to boot into each. So, e.g., to boot into Windows 7, I manually select "Boot Microsoft EFI from EFI". OS X is the default boot option that Clover will use if I don't manually override.

I am hoping there is an easy method of updating Windows 7 to Windows 10 without effing up the bootloader process. Bonus points if the process isn't expensive and doesn't require purchasing Windows 10! (My Windows 7 license is legit.) Might anyone please be able to advise?

Last edited:
So I built my Hackintosh about five years ago, and I remember very little about the work I put into it. It has functioned just fine for the past five years, but it is time for me to upgrade to Windows 11. (I currently can't upgrade past High Sierria on the OS X side due to the nVidia 1070 in use, but I am now being handicapped by running Windows 7.) My hardware should be perfectly compatible with Windows 11. Hardware isn't a concern.

Here is a link to the original build:

Windows 7 currently lives on its own Samsung 960 EVO Series - 250GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD.

OS X High Sierra currently lives on its own Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD.

Unibeast and Multibeast were used for the setup, and Clover Bootloader is currently used to select how to boot into each. So, e.g., to boot into Windows 7, I manually select "Boot Microsoft EFI from EFI". OS X is the default boot option that Clover will use if I don't manually override.

I am hoping there is an easy method of updating Windows 7 to Windows 11 without effing up the bootloader process. Bonus points if the process isn't expensive and doesn't require purchasing Windows 11! (My Windows 7 license is legit.) Might anyone please be able to advise?
Skylake is not officially supported for Windows 11, you will need to make some registry edits

Skylake is not officially supported for Windows 11, you will need to make some registry edits

Interesting. So perhaps just upgrade to Windows 10, then? To make things easier? (When I built the effer, I was on the fence between Kaby Lake and Skylake. It looks like going Kaby Lake would have been the better choice, but hindsight is 20/20.)

So if I can do a direct upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 without breaking ****, that would be nice. As Windows 7 lives by itself on its own NVME SSD, I am hoping that this is an easy and straightforward upgrade option that won't break any of the Clover Bootloader Bootloading Process? Yes or no?

It looks like going Kaby Lake would have been the better choice, but hindsight is 20/20.)
Microsoft doesn't even include 7th gen Kaby Lake CPUs in the official support list. The cutoff is at 8th gen CPUs for Intel at least.

I am hoping that this is an easy and straightforward upgrade option that won't break any of the Clover Bootloader Bootloading Process? Yes or no?
Disconnect your macOS drive when doing the upgrade so you don't overwrite the EFI partition. Then nothing gets broken during the upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back