Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
N/A
CPU
N/A
Graphics
N/A
Tutorial here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/update-directly-to-macos-monterey.316359/

Before I attempt this, whether I use OpenCore of Clover, there's one thing I don't quite understand yet about the nature of these tools. Is this a one-off thing, where I simply trick the Apple servers into thinking I have a newer device and therefore once I update, I can then remove these tools, and at least within each major version (before needing to upgrade again), everything will work normally and natively? Or, if I do this, does OpenCore or Clover become a required component of being able to run the latest version of macOS on the respective device, forever?

Also, are there other, simpler ways to upgrade? If there's a much more minimalist approach to faking a newer device in order to trigger an update, I'd be interested in learning about it.

Tutorial here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/update-directly-to-macos-monterey.316359/

Before I attempt this, whether I use OpenCore of Clover, there's one thing I don't quite understand yet about the nature of these tools. Is this a one-off thing, where I simply trick the Apple servers into thinking I have a newer device and therefore once I update, I can then remove these tools, and at least within each major version (before needing to upgrade again), everything will work normally and natively? Or, if I do this, does OpenCore or Clover become a required component of being able to run the latest version of macOS on the respective device, forever?

Also, are there other, simpler ways to upgrade? If there's a much more minimalist approach to faking a newer device in order to trigger an update, I'd be interested in learning about it.
please update your hardware profile to allow others to help you easier

if I do this, does OpenCore or Clover become a required component of being able to run the latest version of macOS on the respective device, forever?
Any hackintosh must always have a working bootloader to boot macOS on non-Apple hardware. How could it possibly be otherwise ?
Is this a one-off thing, where I simply trick the Apple servers into thinking I have a newer device and therefore once I update, I can then remove these tools ?
For older systems which don't meet the specs of newer Macs, you can change the SMBIOS temporarily to get an update. All future updates would require the same SMBIOS (system definition) change to get updates.

Last edited:
For older systems which don't meet the specs of newer Macs, you can change the SMBIOS temporarily to get an update. All future updates would require the same SMBIOS (system definition) change to get updates.

Yes, it's simply an older Mac that is now cut off from new updates. At a glance, it looks like the Model Identifier is the key piece of info that needs to be altered? I downloaded Clover and took a look, but it does appear to be overkill for this approach. Any recommendations for making the temp change via an app or even through Terminal?

Yes, it's simply an older Mac that is now cut off from new updates. At a glance, it looks like the Model Identifier is the key piece of info that needs to be altered? I downloaded Clover and took a look, but it does appear to be overkill for this approach. Any recommendations for making the temp change via an app or even through Terminal?
1.jpg

depends on your spec...????

Yes, it's simply an older Mac that is now cut off from new updates.
If this is an Apple built Mac you're posting in the wrong forum. This is for hacks only.
Which "Mac" are you referring to ?

If this is an Apple built Mac you're posting in the wrong forum. This is for hacks only.
Which "Mac" are you referring to ?

Yup, I half realized that after posting.

The problem was that my introduction into the this entire topic, which is about 12 hours fresh, was a help article for those Mac users with devices that are just outside the support window set by Apple, and therefore cannot upgrade to Monterey. In that article, it pointed to https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/update-directly-to-macos-monterey.316359/.

But, this entire forum is dedicated only to Hackintosh users, or is it relevant to genuine Apple hardware users as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back