GeForce 9600M GT 512 MB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi

I'm a newbie and have got my Sony VGN-AW11Z with 2 hard disks booting properly, either with Windows 7 on one hard disk or SL 10.6.8 on the other one as shown here thanks to Chameleon.

Booting with SL the keyboard, mouse, firewire, ethernet and sound are all working but NOT the graphics card NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT GPU (right now booting with GraphicsEnabler=No).

Now want to upgrade to ML 10.8.4 as described here but depending on which kernel flags I make use of I get either a "Still waiting for root device" or a black screen (while booting with the USB stick). I've made use of all kernel flags one could think of. Replugging the USB stick doesn't help as well and NO I've got no USB 3.0 but only 3 USB 2.0 ports (all 3 of them are on the side and not on the backside of the laptop).

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Babak

Anyone willing to bring some light into this? Maybe I've missed something very basic?!

Thanks in advance
Babak

Hi

I'm a newbie and have got my Sony VGN-AW11Z with 2 hard disks booting properly, either with Windows 7 on one hard disk or SL 10.6.8 on the other one as shown here thanks to Chameleon.

Booting with SL the keyboard, mouse, firewire, ethernet and sound are all working but NOT the graphics card NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT GPU (right now booting with GraphicsEnabler=No).

Now want to upgrade to ML 10.8.4 as described here but depending on which kernel flags I make use of I get either a "Still waiting for root device" or a black screen (while booting with the USB stick). I've made use of all kernel flags one could think of. Replugging the USB stick doesn't help as well and NO I've got no USB 3.0 but only 3 USB 2.0 ports (all 3 of them are on the side and not on the backside of the laptop).

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Babak

Try booting with USBBusFix=Y

Hi

Thanks for your advice but this option was one of those I had already verified the first days as trying to upgrade to ML.

Using this boot option alone brings me to a black screen so that have to use it in combination with GraphicsEnabler=No which again would end up with the same "Still waiting for root device" thingy. :banghead:

You're an expert in this area so just wonder what you think about the statement this would be a known bug in OS 10.8.x, e.g. see this blog entry. Do you also share this opinion?

Thanks again
Babak

Hi

Thanks for your advice but this option was one of those I had already verified the first days as trying to upgrade to ML.

Using this boot option alone brings me to a black screen so that have to use it in combination with GraphicsEnabler=No which again would end up with the same "Still waiting for root device" thingy. :banghead:

That's strange... Are you sure you typed it correctly...

GraphicsEnabler=Yes USBBusFix=Yes

You're an expert in this area so just wonder what you think about the statement this would be a known bug in OS 10.8.x, e.g. see this blog entry. Do you also share this opinion?

Two different things.

Your "still waiting..." is waiting for because it is waiting for a USB device to show up with a volume that matches what it is expecting for root, whereas the 10.8.x (where x is mostly 0, 1, or 2) "still waiting..." is waiting for a SATA device to show up with a volume that matches what it is expecting for root.

In short, your "still waiting for root..." is a USB problem, where as the other one mentioned in the blog is a "still waiting for root..." problem associated with SATA devices.

That's strange... Are you sure you typed it correctly...

GraphicsEnabler=Yes USBBusFix=Yes

That's exactly how I type it!

Not sure if it could be relevant in any way but with UniBeast I use both of the options: "Legacy USB Support" & "Laptop Support" to prepare the USB stick.

Two different things.

Your "still waiting..." is waiting for because it is waiting for a USB device to show up with a volume that matches what it is expecting for root, whereas the 10.8.x (where x is mostly 0, 1, or 2) "still waiting..." is waiting for a SATA device to show up with a volume that matches what it is expecting for root.

In short, your "still waiting for root..." is a USB problem, where as the other one mentioned in the blog is a "still waiting for root..." problem associated with SATA devices.

Yeah that's exactly why I have also tried to apply that patch to MY root device which in MY case is the USB stick itself with which I boot up the OS (being created using UniBeast 2.0.1) so for example when the patch says do:

cd /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS

I did:

cd /Volumes/MY_UniBeast_Created_Boot_UBS_Stick/System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS

or when it says:

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

I did:

sudo touch /Volumes/MY_UniBeast_Created_Boot_UBS_Stick/System/Library/Extensions

etc.

I have both tried booting WITH and WITHOUT this patch being applied to my USB, no difference. As you have also said in other posts I've also tried different brands of USB (Philips, SanDisk) but still no difference.

That's exactly how I type it!

Not sure if it could be relevant in any way but with UniBeast I use both of the options: "Legacy USB Support" & "Laptop Support" to prepare the USB stick.

Try without Legacy support.

Yeah that's exactly why I have also tried to apply that patch to MY root device which in MY case is the USB stick itself with which I boot up the OS (being created using UniBeast 2.0.1) so for example when the patch says do:

cd /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS

I did:

cd /Volumes/MY_UniBeast_Created_Boot_UBS_Stick/System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS

or when it says:

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

I did:

sudo touch /Volumes/MY_UniBeast_Created_Boot_UBS_Stick/System/Library/Extensions

etc.

I have both tried booting WITH and WITHOUT this patch being applied to my USB, no difference. As you have also said in other posts I've also tried different brands of USB (Philips, SanDisk) but still no difference.

For booting the USB, AHCI is not involved, because it is not using the SATA interface, it is using USB. So it really doesn't make sense to apply that patch to the USB stick.

Try without Legacy support.

Still getting the same "Still waiting for root device"...

For booting the USB, AHCI is not involved, because it is not using the SATA interface, it is using USB. So it really doesn't make sense to apply that patch to the USB stick.

Aha I see.

Hi

Would you maybe have any other idea how I could get one step further as this option did not help as well...

Thanks in advance

Hi

Would you maybe have any other idea how I could get one step further as this option did not help as well...

Thanks in advance

You might try a different brand/model of USB stick. Make sure it is 8GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back