Motherboard
ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
CPU
I7-8700K
Graphics
GTX 1070 SC2
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Starting to feel like I've gotten all I could get out of my 8700k and am ready to move up. My dilemma has been that I'm limited to High Sierra due to Nvidia cutting off support. So I'm planning to get a new mb and 9900k chip and OC it to 5ghz. Is it better to get a chip and do it myself or would one of these delidded chips work?

I currently have the MasterLiquid Pro 240. Is that enough for this chip and overclock?
Also I'm the ASUS ROG Z370. Not sure what the most ideal mb to upgrade to is..

Should I just switch video cards and move up to Catalina? I work in after effects and cinema 4d so trying to stay on track with the appropriate build.

Thanks

Starting to feel like I've gotten all I could get out of my 8700k and am ready to move up. My dilemma has been that I'm limited to High Sierra due to Nvidia cutting off support. So I'm planning to get a new mb and 9900k chip and OC it to 5ghz. Is it better to get a chip and do it myself or would one of these delidded chips work?

I currently have the MasterLiquid Pro 240. Is that enough for this chip and overclock?
Also I'm the ASUS ROG Z370. Not sure what the most ideal mb to upgrade to is..

Should I just switch video cards and move up to Catalina? I work in after effects and cinema 4d so trying to stay on track with the appropriate build.

Thanks

You should be able to upgrade the bios in your current z370 mother board to allow it to run the 9900k CPU, though you might need to make sure to add the ACPI patch for enabling RTC (see link below). Other then the bios update and ACPI patch you should be able to just drop the 9900k in and go. Pretty sure even High Sierra should run the chip however, the new line of AMD GPU RX 5000 series needs Catalina 5.2 minimum.

You should be able to upgrade the bios in your current z370 mother board to allow it to run the 9900k CPU, though you might need to make sure to add the ACPI patch for enabling RTC (see link below). Other then the bios update and ACPI patch you should be able to just drop the 9900k in and go. Pretty sure even High Sierra should run the chip however, the new line of AMD GPU RX 5000 series needs Catalina 5.2 minimum.

So get new chip and all should be well? Sounds like best case scenario :) Would love to crank up the ghz so I'm considering one of those delidded cpus from the link but I don't know how reliable they are.

So get new chip and all should be well? Sounds like best case scenario :) Would love to crank up the ghz so I'm considering one of those delidded cpus from the link but I don't know how reliable they are.

You need to upgrade the BIOS of your motherboard to a version supporting the 9th generation CPUs BEFORE replacing the 8700K with the 9900K, otherwise your motherboard may not even POST after installing the 9900K.

And, you may also need to install the Clover patch mentioned above after upgrading BIOS, or otherwise MacOS may not boot at all. I need that patch on my recently setup Coffee Build after upgrading the BIOS.

Oh man, that's good to know. I suspect I can't upgrade the bios using my gtx 1070 right? I don't think I've upgraded bios's before. So the order will be- upgrade bios, boot in normally, do clover patch and then swap cpus?

You need to upgrade the BIOS of your motherboard to a version supporting the 9th generation CPUs BEFORE replacing the 8700K with the 9900K, otherwise your motherboard may not even POST after installing the 9900K.

And, you may also need to install the Clover patch mentioned above after upgrading BIOS, or otherwise MacOS may not boot at all. I need that patch on my recently setup Coffee Build after upgrading the BIOS.

Oh man, that's good to know. I suspect I can't upgrade the bios using my gtx 1070 right? I don't think I've upgraded bios's before. So the order will be- upgrade bios, boot in normally, do clover patch and then swap cpus?

Upgrading BIOS is done in the BIOS itself (not in MacOS) and you can do it with your GTX 1070 in place.

You should do the Clover patch BEFORE you upgrade the BIOS, as it is possible you won't be able to boot into MacOS after the upgrade.

Also, after the BIOS upgrade you need to set all the required BIOS options again since the BIOS upgrade will reset the options to default.

Cool, I feel like I've seen people have issues with getting into bios with video cards but maybe that was something else.

So I'll do the clover path, boot into bios upgrade and redo settings and then install the new cpu. I guess I wouldn't boot into OS after the bios stuff ya?

Also going to do an overclock with the settings from silicon lottery. I guess I can do that after the install. Let's see if I don't totally screw up bios :)

Upgrading BIOS is done in the BIOS itself (not in MacOS) and you can do it with your GTX 1070 in place.

You should do the Clover patch BEFORE you upgrade the BIOS, as it is possible you won't be able to boot into MacOS after the upgrade.

Also, after the BIOS upgrade you need to set all the required BIOS options again since the BIOS upgrade will reset the options to default.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back