Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hey guys - I've been running with this build for a while, always been very stable but also loud. I recently upgraded the PSU and graphics card and it's still quite loud. This board is also known to have coil whine (and induces coil whine in the PSU as well) - I've tried everything to fix it but it still remains.

Anyway, I would like some advice on how to upgrade my build (case/heatsink/PSU perhaps/gfx card/cpu/mobo) to make it as silent as possible.

Antec 900 Case
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R 2.0 FF bios
Intel i7-950 CPU
Corsair H50 CPU Cooler (started buzzing recently?)
18 GB Vengeance RAM (3x6GB, 3x2GB)
Gigabyte GV-R6870C-1GD graphics card
Silverstone 1000W Modular PSU

The PSU fan is louder than I would like (though I don't know if that's something to do with the mobo running it louder than it needs) and the GFX card is also a bit loud though I like it cause it supports my three monitors without issue.

So some thoughts:

- go to Sandy Bridge
- Upgrade to the ASUS X58A mobo to avoid the coil whine issue
- Get a new case (the Fractal Design R3 is supposed to be quieter)?

Any other thoughts? What's the most cost effective way? I mostly use it to program so I don't need it to be a beast, I just want stable and quiet.

David

PSU fan is loud? Maybe you bought too much PSU. A kilowatt is overkill for your rig. Run the numbers and I think you'll find something in the 600-700W range is plenty adequate. The PSU usually controls its own fan.

There are alternate coolers available for most popular video cards.

My Hackintosh is in an Antec 300 case. I wanted the airflow of the open case design, but I went to some lengths to quiet it down. You'd be surprised what a difference silicone fan isolators can make. I hit every large sheet metal panel and some of the smaller ones with viscoelastic damping material like the car stereo guys use (I had some B-Quiet Extreme laying around). I believe in lots of quiet fans - I cornered the market locally on Gentle Typhoons. It's not silent but it's pretty quiet. The ReadyNAS NV next to it makes more noise!

I hope this gives you some ideas.

You went overboard with that PSU!! :eek:

The PSU is overkill but I kept upgrading hoping the low watt use would mean it could run cooler - it's not that loud, the graphics card is the loudest by far and the case fan (corsairs bundled h50 fan for the radiator). It actually causes vibration of the case itself (anted 900)

Why didn't you get one of those Antec P183 cases I believe to tamp down the noise?

I wish I had spent more time researching cases - there's so many to choose from - not really sure what's best right now in the 200 range

P183 case with it's matching 850W psu. (search on youtube p183 reviews)
Noctua cpu cooler
and a dual fan 6870 (slower fan revs... can't even tell its running)
:thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back