Contribute
Register

Upgrading Motherboard with outdated socket (LGA 1155)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-B75M-D3P
CPU
Intel i5 3750K
Graphics
EVGA Geforce GT 640
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
As far as I've seen, it appears that no one releases socket LGA 1155 motherboards anymore, but i really need to upgrade/replace my motherboard.
Recently i noticed that the Ethernet on my computer has been getting gradually slower, and i attributed it to driver problems or something of the like, I then installed windows on a second SSD and noticed that the internet was also very bad. After a week or so, the internet stopped working on both OS's, not being detected on OSX, and being "limited" on windows. I have tried reinstalling both Windows and OSX multiple times, and have come to the conclusion that it is the motherboard that is the problem.
My CPU is still very functional and works very well, so i would want to get a motherboard with the same socket.
My question is, are there current motherboards that I can buy that are LGA 1155, and are hackintoshable?

Socket 1155 motherboards are no longer produced - so the supply is ever dwindling and is limited to what is available from sellers. The following link is the last socket 1155 buyers guide. The GA-Z77-DS3H is still available in some parts of the world.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/buying-ad...-buyers-guide-august-2013-a.html#motherboards

Try googling " Gigabyte Z77 " etc, drop the same description into Amazon and other sellers and see what you can find. Some of the Asus Z77 boards worked well to so search TonyMacx86 for a shortlist of possible boards. :thumbup:

So the problem lies with the Ethernet port, are there any pcie ethernet cards that are hackintosh compatible?

You could by the Intel i210 model: http://www.small-tree.com/Single_Port_Copper_PCI_e_Gigabit_Ethernet_Server_p/p2egs-1-t.htm

Based on what that would cost you'd be better off just getting a new motherboard. Try
to search for one on Ebay, Amazon etc.

Here's one on Ebay in new condition for $130. not a bad deal.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OPEN-BOX-GI...570323312?pt=Motherboards&hash=item19fa1c0770

My question is, are there current motherboards that I can buy that are LGA 1155, and are hackintoshable?

Sandy Bridge 6 series or Ivy Bridge 7 series?

The GA-H61M is still available at Newegg and Amazon.

The GA-B75M board is still available at Amazon.

so would none of these would work?

The Rosewill would probably be the better choice. The newer PCI express model which
has the Realtek RTL8111B chip should work with a Kext from Mutlibeast. It's the one that
costs 14 dollars and change. Worth a try for that low a price.

I have been using a Gigabyte Q77M-D2H for a couple of years with a 3770 and it works very well with the Unibeast and Multibeast installation tools. Not for overlocking, but reliable and decent expansion ports and slots.

I have installed on it Lion, Mountain Lion and now running Yosemite.

It is a business class motherboard and still can be found based on Google.
It has the Intel vPro / AMT capabilities, so I can remotely power cycle it if it is non-responsive. I have been experimenting with the built-in KVM over Ethernet using Real VNC.
My interest in the remote access is because I am using this Mackintosh primarily as a server with mirrored 3TB drives. If you can find it for about $120 or less that would be a decent price.

I am considering getting another board just to have as a backup in case this one fails. The i3770 has plenty of power, but it would be worthless to me if I don't have a decent motherboard for it!

If you would consider a Thin ITX board, this one is available many places for about $120... [h=1]GIGABYTE GA-H77TN LGA 1155 just check to be sure the available video ports and memory slots would meet your needs.[/h]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back