Contribute
Register

Upgrading motherboard and CPU - Do I really have to reinstall????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z97X-Gaming GT
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
Radeon HD 6870
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 128K
  2. Apple
  3. eMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. Other
Hello everyone,

I am upgrading from a:

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 with a Intel i7-2700K

to a

Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT with a Intel i7-4790K

My question is if I can do the upgrade, but not do a total complete reinstall? :banghead:

I have an Intel SSD drive that is running 10.9.5 completely stable. I have tons and tons of audio software that took months of configuring and installing. I do not want to wipe clean and start over.

Please help me with this!!!! There must be a way to do this. Has anyone out there ever done a hardware upgrade and been successful with it? Where do I need to start?

Thanks ahead of time. Looking forward to your answer......

nobodynose

Motherboard
ASRock Z370M Pro4
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. iMac
  3. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hello everyone,

I am upgrading from a:

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 with a Intel i7-2700K

to a

Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT with a Intel i7-4790K

My question is if I can do the upgrade, but not do a total complete reinstall? :banghead:

I have an Intel SSD drive that is running 10.9.5 completely stable. I have tons and tons of audio software that took months of configuring and installing. I do not want to wipe clean and start over.

Please help me with this!!!! There must be a way to do this. Has anyone out there ever done a hardware upgrade and been successful with it? Where do I need to start?

Thanks ahead of time. Looking forward to your answer......

Yes, I have done such an upgrade (from a Z68 Sandy Bridge platform to an H97 Haswell platform). It wasn't too difficult, but I recommend switching to the Clover bootloader - it makes future OS X updates easier. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.