Contribute
Register

Upgrading Laptop screen to 1080p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update:

So... I replaced the bad AU OPTRONICS LCD SCREEN B156HW01 V.4 with a P156WF1(TL)(B1) Studio 1645 1647 Full HD 15.6" LCD Screen Matte.

It definitely works better and is not all washed out.

But I'm a little disappointed. The text seems rather dithered, and my blacks don't really get better than Navy Blue.

Is this normal?

I can still send this screen back and try again, but I'm hoping there is some kind of fix so my blacks are closer to true back.

Update:

So... I replaced the bad AU OPTRONICS LCD SCREEN B156HW01 V.4 with a P156WF1(TL)(B1) Studio 1645 1647 Full HD 15.6" LCD Screen Matte.

It definitely works better and is not all washed out.

But I'm a little disappointed. The text seems rather dithered, and my blacks don't really get better than Navy Blue.

Is this normal?

I can still send this screen back and try again, but I'm hoping there is some kind of fix so my blacks are closer to true back.

Did anyone read this?

I'm running out of time to exchange this screen is this is NOT normal.
I've run the color profile on expert mode and got it as close as I can... but I don't really get any DEEP blacks out of this screen.

All my Black screens are kind of Navy Blue.

I would really appreciate some advice on this.

Thanks in advance.

Did anyone read this?

I'm running out of time to exchange this screen is this is NOT normal.
I've run the color profile on expert mode and got it as close as I can... but I don't really get any DEEP blacks out of this screen.

All my Black screens are kind of Navy Blue.

I would really appreciate some advice on this.

Thanks in advance.

It is rather subjective and would probably have to be seen first hand to provide any kind of opinion.

So. I hooked up the AU OPTRONICS LCD SCREEN B156HW01 V.4 to ProBook 4530's HDMI and my little adapter board.
The image was almost perfect. Way better than the P156WF1(TL)(B1) that I replaced it with.

I can only assume the cable is bad/wrong/misconnected inside the computer.

I have yet to remove the P156WF1(TL)(B1) from the ProBook and test it on my TV/Video connector thing.
That's up next. If it ALSO looks better on HDMI I've narrowed it down to the cable which I actually bought from HP for $35.

It's going to be very disappointing the cable turns out to be the problem.

Any one found a better source than HP these cables?

So. I hooked up the AU OPTRONICS LCD SCREEN B156HW01 V.4 to ProBook 4530's HDMI and my little adapter board.
The image was almost perfect. Way better than the P156WF1(TL)(B1) that I replaced it with.

I can only assume the cable is bad/wrong/misconnected inside the computer.

I have yet to remove the P156WF1(TL)(B1) from the ProBook and test it on my TV/Video connector thing.
That's up next. If it ALSO looks better on HDMI I've narrowed it down to the cable which I actually bought from HP for $35.

It's going to be very disappointing the cable turns out to be the problem.

Any one found a better source than HP these cables?

If it is a bad cable, then it is likely you just had bad luck with a defective cable from HP. I had no issue with the cable provided by HP.

Either that or the cable was not properly seated and one or both ends.

If it is a bad cable, then it is likely you just had bad luck with a defective cable from HP. I had no issue with the cable provided by HP.

Either that or the cable was not properly seated and one or both ends.

Thanks for the reply RehabMan. I've verified the seating on the LCD side by replacing the LCD.
I'm not looking forward to opening the actual laptop to check. I actually paid some one $75 to do that when I had the bleed in my eye. I guess now that it has cleared up it wouldn't be as hard.

I'm going to pull the other screen and test it first.

Any one have an idea where I can get the connectors and make my own cables? Nearly $40 for these seems VERY wastefully expensive.
It's not like there is circuitry or moving parts.

Thanks for the reply RehabMan. I've verified the seating on the LCD side by replacing the LCD.
I'm not looking forward to opening the actual laptop to check. I actually paid some one $75 to do that when I had the bleed in my eye. I guess now that it has cleared up it wouldn't be as hard.

I'm going to pull the other screen and test it first.

Any one have an idea where I can get the connectors and make my own cables? Nearly $40 for these seems VERY wastefully expensive.
It's not like there is circuitry or moving parts.

You might look on ebay to see if you find the same cable.

I would not recommend creating your own cable. HDMI/DVI/LVDS cables must be made with precision (relative length of each lead is important).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back