Contribute
Register

Upgrading Laptop screen to 1080p

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the record: The 4430s and 4330s will NOT accept a 1600x900 or 1920x1080 screen. I haven't tested the USB3.0 motherboard, but the USB2.0 motherboard does not have the proper pin-out to provide the B-Channel of the LVDS interface.

I can't get my hands on the USB3.0 motherboard part, so I can't test.

Thanks. :)

The text at 1600x900 chosen resolution at 1080p screen is awful.
Forget it, don't do it.
It is like you have a picture of text and increased it at 300%.
I do not know for pictures or videos if it is better but for text, no way.
The point is you can not increase the system's font size, only Finder's and some Apps let you zoom in but if you want for the System's font you have to use a FREE program called TinkerTool.
Google it, if you're interesting.

nikstar said:
The test at 1600x900 chosen resolution at 1080p screen is awful.
Forget it, don't do it.
It is like you have a picture of text and increased it at 300%.
I do not know for pictures or videos if it is better but for text, no way.
The point is you can not increase the system's font size, only Finder's and some Apps let you zoom in but if you want for the System's font you have to use a FREE program called TinkerTool.
Google it, if you're interesting.

Yeah running a resolution on an LCD other than the native LCD resolution is just terrible.

If you want 1600x900 you gotta just buy the 1600x900 screen. IMO.

I can confirm now FHD is really amazing for me. No problems with font size and with the hinge covers :mrgreen: . It's my first visit here with 1920 :headbang:
It's like my former laptop Inspiron 1520 with the LG/Philipps WSXGA+ screen. But for me it was a 3h ride with screws and a helping hand from my wife :mrgreen:
Thanks to all for support here.

I would love to upgrade the screen on my 4530s! However I think 1920x1080 would be a little small on a 15.6" screen. 1600x900 seems like it would be perfect though. Is there any reason 1600x900 wouldn't work if 1920x1080 does? I read the whole thread and it seems no one with a 4530s has tried a 1600x900 panel and confirmed that it works.

I emailed latopscreens.com to ask if they knew of a 1600x900 panel that would work and got this reply:
http://www.laptopscreen.com/English/screen-part-number/LP156WD1(TL)(B2)/
Please, be forewarned that resolution upgrades most of the time do not work.

I'm kinda reluctant to be the first to try since I have zero experience with these types of things. On other hand, I am very much tired of the mediocre stock screen.

Ph34rful said:
I would love to upgrade the screen on my 4530s! However I think 1920x1080 would be a little small on a 15.6" screen. 1600x900 seems like it would be perfect though. Is there any reason 1600x900 wouldn't work if 1920x1080 does? I read the whole thread and it seems no one with a 4530s has tried a 1600x900 panel and confirmed that it works.

I emailed latopscreens.com to ask if they knew of a 1600x900 panel that would work and got this reply:
http://www.laptopscreen.com/English/screen-part-number/LP156WD1(TL)(B2)/
Please, be forewarned that resolution upgrades most of the time do not work.

I'm kinda reluctant to be the first to try since I have zero experience with these types of things. On other hand, I am very much tired of the mediocre stock screen.

All of the 4530s that we've seen on the board can run the upgraded screens. All you need is the HD+ cable. As long as you put the cable in with the screen, you should be just fine.

Telling you not to upgrade the resolution is just a CYA statement so that when people like me get upgraded screens, they can't be held responsible for saying that the screen will work, when it doesn't work. (As in the case of the 4430s.)

Other than that, they're fantastic. 1600x900 is the sweet spot for the 4530s, IMO.

Alright I decided to go for it, just ordered the cable and 1600x900 glossy panel!

Would anyone mind posting some pictures on what happens in both Windows and Mac at 1920x1080 and 1600x900. I am debating whether or not I should go for it. I would love to see the goods and the bads. Thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back