Contribute
Register

Upgrading Laptop screen to 1080p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Screenshot no, apart from 1080p. To view if the screen is really worth, you have to see it with your own eyes or in photo =).
Digital image, such jpeg don't show a quality of a screen, because it will save the image but it will be your screen to elaborate the contrast, color ecc... :)

masso912 said:
Guys i've read a guide about the HP DV6 series...
That guy said that the cable in their case must be upgraded not because the size wouldn't fit but 'cause there was a special cable from HP which supports "Dual Link" (don't ask me what it is) and it was needed for 1080p.
Infact, someone on that thread said that he ripped apart the old 40 cable and figured out that only 30 pin of it where effectively attached, the other were left without cable...

I hope our standard cable would fit, or the HD+ cable would support this "Dual link" feature.

EDIT: Buyed 1080p screen glossy =D. Hope it works...

So the HD+ cable is probably needed? :crazy:

It is simple. The 900p and 1080p screens need all 40pin while the 768p screens need only 20 of them. However screen manufacturers created 768p screens with 40 pins in case some laptop manufacturer would like to provide a laptop with multiple screen resolution.
The top resolution a single link LVD can do is 1440x900. For everything above this resolution you need a dual link.
If you want to know before your screen comes home if it is gonna work you can carefully unvail the cable near to the connector of the screen. If it uses the full length then it will definetely work. If it uses half the connections then it is sure that you are gonna need a replacement cable. According to Big Donkey "service manual lists only two types of LCD cables: for 4530s without and with webcam. Further search for 646273-001 cable on HP site shows it being used by all 4530S models."
If this is true, your cable uses all the connections and it is able to tranfer the data needed for the 900p/1080p screen. The guy from the DV6 forum said that he needed a new cable because the one his laptop have had only 20 cables attached to the 40pin connector making it impossible to be used with dual link screens as 900p/1080p.
PS: according to the screen you read for single link, it doesnt mean that it would work with a single link cable, but back in the days of lcd screens, screens with res under 1440x900 used a single connector, while screens with res above 1440x900 used a dual connector. LED screens even when they use a res that requires dual link they have a simple 30 or 40 pin connector
Hope I helped :)

timohour said:
masso912 said:
Guys i've read a guide about the HP DV6 series...
That guy said that the cable in their case must be upgraded not because the size wouldn't fit but 'cause there was a special cable from HP which supports "Dual Link" (don't ask me what it is) and it was needed for 1080p.
Infact, someone on that thread said that he ripped apart the old 40 cable and figured out that only 30 pin of it where effectively attached, the other were left without cable...

I hope our standard cable would fit, or the HD+ cable would support this "Dual link" feature.

EDIT: Buyed 1080p screen glossy =D. Hope it works...

So the HD+ cable is probably needed? :crazy:

It is simple. The 900p and 1080p screens need all 40pin while the 768p screens need only 20 of them. However screen manufacturers created 768p screens with 40 pins in case some laptop manufacturer would like to provide a laptop with multiple screen resolution.
The top resolution a single link LVD can do is 1440x900. For everything above this resolution you need a dual link.
If you want to know before your screen comes home if it is gonna work you can carefully unvail the cable near to the connector of the screen. If it uses the full length then it will definetely work. If it uses half the connections then it is sure that you are gonna need a replacement cable. According to Big Donkey "service manual lists only two types of LCD cables: for 4530s without and with webcam. Further search for 646273-001 cable on HP site shows it being used by all 4530S models."
If this is true, your cable uses all the connections and it is able to tranfer the data needed for the 900p/1080p screen. The guy from the DV6 forum said that he needed a new cable because the one his laptop have had only 20 cables attached to the 40pin connector making it impossible to be used with dual link screens as 900p/1080p.
PS: according to the screen you read for single link, it doesnt mean that it would work with a single link cable, but back in the days of lcd screens, screens with res under 1440x900 used a single link, while screens with res above 1440x900 used a dual link. LED screens even when they use a res that requires dual link they have a simple 30 or 40 pin connector

Actually, the model with Brightview and HD+ (1600x900) use the HD+ cable, which is what i linked in the first post.
Now i'll check the cable!
Thanks for the help =D

It seems that the connector misses some pin cables. I think ours have 30 pin effective.
It will support 1080p or we will need the HD+ connector?

timohour said:
it is simple. The 900p and 1080p screens need all 40pin while the 768p screens need only 20 of them. However screen manufacturers created 768p screens with 40 pins in case some laptop manufacturer would like to provide a laptop with multiple screen resolution.
PS: according to the screen you read for single link, it doesnt mean that it would work with a single link cable, but back in the days of lcd screens, screens with res under 1440x900 used a single link, while screens with res above 1440x900 used a dual link. LED screens even when they use a res that requires dual link they have a simple 30 or 40 pin connector
Displays cable are universal? or i have to buy the one supported?

masso912 said:
It seems that the connector misses some pin cables. I think ours have 30 pin effective.
It will support 1080p or we will need the HD+ connector?

:( I don't think 1080p will work. you will need a new cable with support for higher res.
I don't know which cable is that but I think you on a earlier post posted a hp number.
Where did you find this? Here you can see the picture of 656805-001 cable used by DV6 guys who did the conversion successfully. If it fits I find no reason why it shouldn't work.
No they are not universal but most companies doesn't change them frequently. So there is a chance that a cable for another machine will work with ours.

Alright, I just bought the HD+ and web cam cables, and a matte 1600x900 screen (originally for the 4515s) from laptopscreen.com. I'll let you know how it goes when everything comes in!

knox203 said:
Alright, I just bought the HD+ and web cam cables, and a matte 1600x900 screen (originally for the 4515s) from laptopscreen.com. I'll let you know how it goes when everything comes in!

I just went to alinc.com to purchase the HD+ cable and the shipping cost to Greece costs as much as the cable. Can someone from US do the 2 purchases and pass one to me in an envelope? Shipping cost isn't more than 7$. I will pay in advance through paypal.

EDIT: Great support page by the way. You get this message "One or more required form fields are empty or contain invalid values. Please make sure the information entered into the required fields is correct and resubmit the form." and reentering the correct code doesn't change anything...

Scrolling down the hp site I found this
Code:
The display cable is available using spare part number 605766-001 for models without a webcam, 646273-001 for 4530s HD+ models. The webcam cable is available using spare part number 646275-001.
I opened my laptop (XU015UT) and I saw that it has TWO DIFFERENT CABLES. One for the web camera, and one for the led screen.

THIS MEANS THAT OUR MODELS DO NOT SUPPORT HD+ SCREENS UNLESS WE USE THE SPARE CABLE 646273-001.

This also probably means that we don't need extra cable for the webcam.

:!: please use care while you remove the besel cause I managed to break my right hinge.
This info is for all the XU015UT#ABA with USB 2.0. For other part No, open your screens and check.

Attachments

• IMG_7503.JPG
    IMG_7503.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 276
  • IMG_7504.JPG
    IMG_7504.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 347
timohour said:
Scrolling down the hp site I found this
Code:
The display cable is available using spare part number 605766-001 for models without a webcam, 646273-001 for 4530s HD+ models. The webcam cable is available using spare part number 646275-001.
I opened my laptop (XU015UT) and I saw that it has TWO DIFFERENT CABLES. One for the web camera, and one for the led screen.

THIS MEANS THAT OUR MODELS DO NOT SUPPORT HD+ SCREENS UNLESS WE USE THE SPARE CABLE 646273-001.

This also probably means that we don't need extra cable for the webcam.

Can you link the HP page where you found this info? I want to double check for the 4430s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back