Graphics
GeForce GTX 970 (eVGA ACX 2.0)
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Going to upgrade my video card tomorrow. I've got four options because I'm looking at either the 140-150 range or 180-200 range (haven't decided what I want to spend yet and whether it's worth it). I want to get the best 3D support in Lion out of whatever I get, and get the best bang for the buck. if the more expensive option is only marginally faster than the slower, then I'll get the slower card. So I'm down to these four supported cards in Lion. I'm looking at Gigabyte models, and the prices are Newegg prices.

GTX 460 1GB ($139)
Radeon HD 6850 ($159-20 instant rebate with code HARDOCPX2X1C)
GTX 560 1GB ($195-20 MIR)
Radeon HD 6870 ($199)

Reading this review the 6850 is slightly slower than the 460 in Windows 7, and the 6870 is slightly slower than the 560. However, the only super-important performance, to me, is in Starcraft II at 1920x1080 in Lion (which I have successfully upgraded to 10.7.3). I'm leaning towards the Radeons because those are what Tony recommends in his builds, but I've had good success in Lion with my a GTS 450. My current card is slower than a Radeon 5770 and therefore quite a bit slower than all of these options, so whatever I get should be a non-trivial performance boost.

If you were me, what would you buy for your Hackintosh? Thanks in advance.

I stumbled across this and I think I am going to put that in my hackintosh... the 2 fans should make it quieter than most other cards with single fans but it is a pretty big card so....

JGW310 said:
I stumbled across this and I think I am going to put that in my hackintosh... the 2 fans should make it quieter than most other cards with single fans but it is a pretty big card so....
That's the specific 6850 I was looking at on Newegg as well. It'll fit my case no problem.

So for non-CUDA apps, is the Radeon definitely the way to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back