i7-7700K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,

I have a nicely working build with a i7 6700K and I would like to upgrade to i7 7700K and my question is if it will work OOB or if I will need to change anything?

I run Sierra 10.12.6 with an iMac 17,1 definition (iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015).

My MoBo should support the CPU (Gigabyte Z170X-ULTRA GAMING).

Thanks!

update your bios, delete any ssdt for power states you may be using and itll work straight away.
its not an upgrade though. not an upgrade in any shape or form

update your bios, delete any ssdt for power states you may be using and itll work straight away.
its not an upgrade though. not an upgrade in any shape or form

Hi, thanks for the answer! What do You mean it is not an upgrade? As far as I know there should be added support for H.265 encoding and some 10% performance improvement ...

The upgraded H265 acceleration is via the iGPU, which you won't be using.

There isn't a 10% improvement, at least not in a clock for clock comparison.
It's not surprising - but it is a bit shocking to see in this form: Kaby Lake truly does offer zero to the consumer in terms of clock for clock performance. (In fact, a couple of the results show it slower than the Skylake, but these are within the margin of error.) Enthusiasts and analysts have often lamented the "slow" progression of IPC changes on Intel's Core architecture since the introduction of Sandy Bridge,
https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Proce...-and-14nm/Clock-Clock-Kaby-Lake-Skylake-Broad

The reason why a 7700K might appear to have slightly better performance over a 6700K is that the stock clock is higher. Overclock a couple hundred megahertz your 6700K and you have a 7700K. Overclock with a decent cooler even higher, and you have a big improvement for free/cheap.

If you want an actual improvement, go with a 6 core Coffee Lake system, which on a single core basis is no improvement over what you have. But for applications which make use of multi core systems, it'll be a big improvement. In short, getting a 7700K to replace your 6700K is a waste of time and money.

The upgraded H265 acceleration is via the iGPU, which you won't be using.

There isn't a 10% improvement, at least not in a clock for clock comparison.

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Proce...-and-14nm/Clock-Clock-Kaby-Lake-Skylake-Broad

The reason why a 7700K might appear to have slightly better performance over a 6700K is that the stock clock is higher. Overclock a couple hundred megahertz your 6700K and you have a 7700K. Overclock with a decent cooler even higher, and you have a big improvement for free/cheap.

If you want an actual improvement, go with a 6 core Coffee Lake system, which on a single core basis is no improvement over what you have. But for applications which make use of multi core systems, it'll be a big improvement. In short, getting a 7700K to replace your 6700K is a waste of time and money.
Hi, thanks for Your advice. I don't feel myself as a overclocker, so I prefer having something safe in a long run.
You recommend me Coffe Lake CPU's ... they are not in the Buyer's guide so I don't know if a Cofee Lake system is suitable for a Hackintosh?

By the way - I can get a 7700K almost for the same price I can sell the 6700K, so I would get it basically for free or just a little ...

No advantage unless you plan to use the iGPU and High Sierra. Really i have two machines 6700k and 7700k with the same speed at the exact performance level. No difference.

Hi, thanks for Your advice. I don't feel myself as a overclocker, so I prefer having something safe in a long run.
You recommend me Coffe Lake CPU's ... they are not in the Buyer's guide so I don't know if a Cofee Lake system is suitable for a Hackintosh?

By the way - I can get a 7700K almost for the same price I can sell the 6700K, so I would get it basically for free or just a little ...

No advantage unless you plan to use the iGPU and High Sierra. Really i have two machines 6700k and 7700k with the same speed at the exact performance level. No difference.
I read the initial reviews when Kaby Lake come out onto the market. Several reviewers actually said the upgrade from Skylake to Kaby Lake wasn't worth the investment. Now that Coffee Lake is out, I recommend Coffee Lake system.

The tonymacx86 Buyer's Guide has just been updated to reflect Coffee Lake system components based upon tonymacx86's post > Intel's 8th Generation Coffee Lake CPUs Natively Recognized by macOS High Sierra

I upgraded from i7-6700K to i7-7700K. It was an easy drop in replacement and it worked without having to change anything other than updating the motherboard BIOS.

Enable the iGPU and you will reap the benefits of HEVC. This is true even if you are using a dedicated graphics card. It's the same as enabling iGPU for Quick Sync when users have dedicated graphics cards or in real iMacs. You do not need to use the iGPU for video to use the iGPU for Quick Sync and/or HEVC.

The GHz difference is minor but it's there. Odds are you would probably never notice the difference but benchmark numbers do show a difference albeit very slight.

I just upgraded from a 4790K to a 7700K. No noticeable difference in CPU performance. Only reason I did the update is so that I can run an NVMe SSD, get the Z270 chipset, and move from a mATX to ATX form factor.

At this time, I only recommend a generational CPU upgrade if you are going to Coffee Lake with more than 4 cores, or if you need/want options not available with your current set up. The CPU horsepower has not gone up that much for the last several generations of top of the line i7’s.

I have just upgraded from 6700K to 7700K and here are some benchmark differences:

(6700K vs 7700K)
Geekbench: 18407 vs 20243 (quite noticeable difference - 9.9%)
Cinebench: 877 vs 963 (quite noticeable difference - 9.8%)
Luxmark: 2207 vs 2285 (the less noticeable difference)

So a 10% difference is not bad. I will try some encoding and post the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back