Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare-OC
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX Vega 64
Is this advisable?

I want to upgrade so that my new NVMe drive works natively and I can use it as my system drive. My current system (EVO 850) is running at a slow 220MB/s write speed and Samsung wants me to send it in before sending me a replacement (never using Samsung again, WD has superior service).

I downloaded the combo update. I have a bootable backup, but want to make sure everything goes smoothly. This is my main work rig and can't afford much downtime.

My gear:

CPU
: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus Z97-DELUXE (NFC&WLC)
OS Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 512GB
Video Card: GeForce GTX 970 4GB

I'm using Clover (installed over MultiBeast, which is working fine) and minimal kexts. Everything is working well.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I've tried Rehabman's NVMe patch but my drive still isn't recognized after boot. Combining that with wanting to use it as my system drive, I figure updating to Mojave would be safer.

Is this advisable?

I want to upgrade so that my new NVMe drive works natively and I can use it as my system drive. My current system (EVO 850) is running at a slow 220MB/s write speed and Samsung wants me to send it in before sending me a replacement (never using Samsung again, WD has superior service).

I downloaded the combo update. I have a bootable backup, but want to make sure everything goes smoothly. This is my main work rig and can't afford much downtime.

My gear:

CPU
: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus Z97-DELUXE (NFC&WLC)
OS Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 512GB
Video Card: GeForce GTX 970 4GB

I'm using Clover (installed over MultiBeast, which is working fine) and minimal kexts. Everything is working well.

Thanks!

GFX 970 it's not compatible with Mojave, there is not NVIDIA drivers. So if you want to upgrade to Mojave and later you have to replace your GPU to an AMD like RX 580.

Oh wow, good to know!

I'm doing a new buildin a few months so I don't want to buy a new gfx card just yet (holding out for 5700 support in Catalina). How about High Sierra?

Oh wow, good to know!

I'm doing a new buildin a few months so I don't want to buy a new gfx card just yet (holding out for 5700 support in Catalina). How about High Sierra?

You can go at High Sierra. It's the latest OS that NVIDIA support with drivers.

Maybe a Vega 64 would be better then. 5700XT seems overrated anyway, no point in waiting for it.

Maybe a Vega 64 would be better then. 5700XT seems overrated anyway, no point in waiting for it.

5700xt works now in Catalina 15.1, its a good card that uses about 50-100 watts less than power than the Vega 64 for the same relative performance. The 5700xt has 40 CUs vs the 64 CUs of the Vega, yet it matches the Vega in most compute benchmarks/apps, and its openGl (gaming) is better. The Radeon VII is the only card that really beats it but it has 60CUs double the memory 16gb and costs almost double.

Screen Shot 2019-12-08 at 12.12.51 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-08 at 12.21.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-15 at 8.43.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-10-17 at 5.24.36 PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back