Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z270P-D3
CPU
i7-6700K OC 4.3 GHz
Graphics
RX 560
A couple months ago, I decided to download the RTM Monterey installer on a whim because I could, and I want to try installing it.

However, every time I try, I can't seem to get it to boot (I might've gotten the installer to boot maybe once, but I can't remember for sure).

My build runs High Sierra smoothly, which I recently upgraded to Mojave 10.4.6, which was a little rough until I realized I need to have my iGPU enabled. For some reason High Sierra didn't mind so much that it was disabled, but Mojave's performance was somewhat inconsistent and unstable until I enabled it. I took the opportunity to do some housekeeping, and tidied up the EFI, updated some kexts, and tweaked a few settings that seemed somewhat less than optimal. That seemed to make High Sierra and Mojave run a bit better, but still no joy for Monterey. By all rights, it should just work, but it doesn't.

My Clover config.plist is attached, if that would help figure this out.

EDIT: I also tried OpenCore, but that still doesn't work too well. I can post the OpenCore config I used, if need be.

Thanks,

c

Attachments

• config.plist
    9.1 KB · Views: 38
A couple months ago, I decided to download the RTM Monterey installer on a whim because I could, and I want to try installing it.

However, every time I try, I can't seem to get it to boot (I might've gotten the installer to boot maybe once, but I can't remember for sure).

My build runs High Sierra smoothly, which I recently upgraded to Mojave 10.4.6, which was a little rough until I realized I need to have my iGPU enabled. For some reason High Sierra didn't mind so much that it was disabled, but Mojave's performance was somewhat inconsistent and unstable until I enabled it. I took the opportunity to do some housekeeping, and tidied up the EFI, updated some kexts, and tweaked a few settings that seemed somewhat less than optimal. That seemed to make High Sierra and Mojave run a bit better, but still no joy for Monterey. By all rights, it should just work, but it doesn't.

My Clover config.plist is attached, if that would help figure this out.

EDIT: I also tried OpenCore, but that still doesn't work too well. I can post the OpenCore config I used, if need be.

Thanks,

c
you are better off using opencore

I can tell from your config.plist that your clover version is too old for Big Sur or Monterey

Last edited:
OK, then, if I may, I'd like some assistance in converting my config.plist to OpenCore specifications.

I've tried several times, but I can't seem to get my config to convert properly. It shouldn't be this hard, I know, but nevertheless....

And yes, the version of clover on my main drive (256 GB NVmE SSD) is 5070, which only supports up to Catalina. I installed the latest version (5142) on a thumb drive with the Monterey installer on it and copied 5070's config.plist over, and the results are the same (High Sierra and Mojave boot fine, Monterey won't), so perhaps there's something misconfigured in the config.plist that Monterey somehow doesn't like?

Also, upon reading about more recent (post-5070) versions of Clover, I noticed that it seems that the Clover and OpenCore teams are collaborating with each other to integrate numerous OC features into Clover. Does that matter?

c

OK, then, if I may, I'd like some assistance in converting my config.plist to OpenCore specifications.

I've tried several times, but I can't seem to get my config to convert properly. It shouldn't be this hard, I know, but nevertheless....

And yes, the version of clover on my main drive (256 GB NVmE SSD) is 5070, which only supports up to Catalina. I installed the latest version (5142) on a thumb drive with the Monterey installer on it and copied 5070's config.plist over, and the results are the same (High Sierra and Mojave boot fine, Monterey won't), so perhaps there's something misconfigured in the config.plist that Monterey somehow doesn't like?

Also, upon reading about more recent (post-5070) versions of Clover, I noticed that it seems that the Clover and OpenCore teams are collaborating with each other to integrate numerous OC features into Clover. Does that matter?

c
latest versions of clover uses elements of opencore.. you are better ditching clover altogether and use only opencore

OK, I was sort of suspecting the same thing.

I guess I'll get to work studying the OC config.plist structure and translating my Clover config to it.

If anyone has any advice on how I can do that, please let me know!

c

install opencore on USB thumb and try to make the configuration there
if you will be able to boot it to your OS then switch from Clover to Opencore
Opencore does not allow you to chose a config file to boot or change boot options on the fly unless you edit the files in efi shell which is painful so always think twice before trying new config

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back