Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
It's been a bit over a year since I built my current setup, so I'm a little out of touch with the tech.

Here's what I'm looking at:

• Core i7-5930K
  • Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD7-TH
  • GTX Titan 6GB (may or may not get the “Black” version)
  • 32GB RAM (I currently have 4x 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz — can I still use those?)
  • Seagate Barracuda 1TB
  • Corsair CX750M
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (already using this, will I need a better one?)

I feel like there’s something glaringly obvious that I’m overlooking, like the RAM isn’t compatible or I need a better motherboard or something.

Also, if there are better 6GB graphics card options, I'm open to that. I'm editing 4K with a single graphics card, so I read that more GPU RAM is better. I haven't found too many people on TonyMac who are using the GTX Titan, so I'm wondering if maybe there's an issue there.

Thanks for any and all help!

It's been a bit over a year since I built my current setup, so I'm a little out of touch with the tech.

Here's what I'm looking at:

• Core i7-5930K
  • Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD7-TH
  • GTX Titan 6GB (may or may not get the “Black” version)
  • 32GB RAM (I currently have 4x 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz — can I still use those?)
  • Seagate Barracuda 1TB
  • Corsair CX750M
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (already using this, will I need a better one?)

I feel like there’s something glaringly obvious that I’m overlooking, like the RAM isn’t compatible or I need a better motherboard or something.

Also, if there are better 6GB graphics card options, I'm open to that. I'm editing 4K with a single graphics card, so I read that more GPU RAM is better. I haven't found too many people on TonyMac who are using the GTX Titan, so I'm wondering if maybe there's an issue there.

Thanks for any and all help!
2011-3 socket CPU is not going to fit on a Socket 1150 board. Kinda jumps out at me as soon as I look at it.

Of course! I knew it was something obvious like that. I appreciate the response.

So looking at the CustoMac guide, they all seem to be 1150. Does this mean that in order to have a hexacore CPU, I'll have to install a DSDT and I won't have native sleep?

Of course! I knew it was something obvious like that. I appreciate the response.

So looking at the CustoMac guide, they all seem to be 1150. Does this mean that in order to have a hexacore CPU, I'll have to install a DSDT and I won't have native sleep?

In order to run a hexacore you need a different mainboard with a different Socket (2011 or 2011-v3). 2011-v3 is quite new and not yet natively supported and will also need more expensive DDR4 RAM.

In the Buyer's Guide is a section for "CustoMac_Pro_Socket_2011". Have a look at this one. If you like to experiment a lot you can also search for X99 motherboards on the forum and see how they got Intel's newest CPUs working :)

Also: Do you already own an SSD? Adding one will add way more performance than the workstation socket.

Well, I manage terabytes of video data atm on my SATA drives, so it would be a bit too pricey to have all my footage on SSDs. Aside from that, I'm not too concerned about the boot speed of my programs or computer, because it's all about how my computer handles the video once I'm in the software.

I also appreciate the Socket 2011 reference in the CustoMac guide. I missed that.

So I suppose if I stray away from 2011-v3 and stick with a 2011 hexacore, it'd be easier to get past compatibility issues? Perhaps my best approach would be to find builds from a year ago with a i7-4930K?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back