Nvidia gtx 460
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi

First off the power supply I have is an antec hcg-900 Ive had it since mid 2011 and I’m currently on 10.9.2 (13C64).

I’m going to get the iPhone 8 so I have to update my computer at the bare minimum to 10.9.5 but ideally would like to go to high sierra due to the whole h265 and heif stuff.

There's multiple issues I’ve got so first the gpu, in the last year or so occasionally when I turn my computer on I get the red vga light on the motherboard, sometimes turning off the switch for a minute helps or opening it up and unplugging and replugging the power cables helps but other times it doesn’t. Sometimes I’ll get to the chameleon screen select mavericks and the screen goes a solid colour like white magenta cyan green or black. The other day for the first time ever I got an all pixelated screen I took a few photos https://imgur.com/a/tRK6d.

More often then not when I get to the grey login screen the screens all noisy for a few seconds then it goes away. These are all bad but the more annoying issues are in everyday use occasionally I get these visual freezes, if I start typing on Facebook messenger, if I do alt f to find something if I save a website and press right to go the end of the file name, if I start typing in the search box in youtube or if Im watching a youtube video and I press the left arrow to go back. They last a few seconds but everything auditory is still going on and I can even pause the youtube video and replay it while its all frozen. Just a few minutes ago I had the whole screen go white with music still playing. The worst though is in ableton live if I have a lot of tracks and I click onto another one it takes like 20-30 seconds to load it up and its something to do with the graphics cause when I monitored what the drives where doing with fs_usage it was loading a graphics.alp file and another GUI file in the abelton application file. With all these freezes Ive got istat menus and the processor for the graphics card is 0 completely black when its frozen and when it unfreezes theres a spike in usage then it calms down again.

My other question was in regards to apfs I know the main drive has to be formatted in that way but all my storage drives that are traditional mechanicals can they be left in hfs+ without any issues, could I still transfer files between the two without any issues, I just don’t like the non backwards compatibility of it.

I know you can’t give a definite answer but generally au’s and vst’s do they not seem to care really what os they’re using in the sense if its running on mavericks then it should work on high sierra just I do music and if I can’t use them its kinda a big no no.

Lastly if I was to keep my gtx 460 is it compatible with high sierra are there any specific multibeast options I would have to select?

The main issue is the graphics problems and I don’t know if its the power supply or the graphics or maybe even the freezes are due to software but then I never had them before so, Im using iMac 13,2 as the system identifier, I was on mac pro 3,1 but I found out that the cpu was at a constant 3.4ghz and couldn’t slow down or turbo so I changed it, cause of this I can’t even install the web drivers but I've tried on a clone drive and it didn’t make any difference anyway.

Sorry this is a long post but if anyone could help with any of the issues it would be greatly appreciated :)

The cpu's fine the temps are normal and I've got a h80 cooler on it and its not overclocked, my concerns stem from the fact that it never used to do these freezes and it feels like more of a glitch then it just been slow like somethings holding up for a second and although not specifically mac related the not turning on and the the random colours on bootup occasionally. It just makes me feel like somethings broken, I've ordered a new power supply a 1050 and a new ssd to play around with and Ill report back what happens. I'd really love to know about the apfs stuff if my other drives can just stay as hfs+ without any problems?

Edit: also I've upgraded the ram to 24gb so it isint a ram issue theres always plenty free and the computers over 6 years old at this point, gpu's don't really last that long do they?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back