Contribute
Register

Upgrading 6700K to 7700K - any changes need to be made?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Prime z370 A-II
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I may upgrade my 6700K to a 7700K to gain a bit more Overclocking performance for some Windows VR games.

My Gigabyte motherboard supports it but on my Hackintosh, once the new processor is in, will I need to modify my MacOS installation? Will it break something like iMessage or worst case, do I have to start over?

I'm using the 17,1 profile.

Hey Scott,
If you are comparing 7700K and 6700K then here I like to add that both have average effective speed and peak overclocked speed are up by 7%. The Hackintosh works great 100% if the i7-6700K is installed properly with using a configuration trick (FakeCPUID) in Clover boot loader.

Hey Scott,
If you are comparing 7700K and 6700K then here I like to add that both have average effective speed and peak overclocked speed are up by 7%. The Hackintosh works great 100% if the i7-6700K is installed properly with using a configuration trick (FakeCPUID) in Clover boot loader.

Thanks Daniel. I decided to pull the trigger and upgraded to the 7700K. I'm a big VR and Flight Sim fan and have been trying to get every ounce of performance I can to run them. I'm new to overclocking but my Gigabyte 170X has some simple presets so I can get the 7700K to 4.8 GHz without much trouble (it goes to 5.0 Ghz but gets unstable). 6700K did great as well at 4.5 Ghz and had no issues with my Hackintosh. The 7700K doesn't boot right now (as expected) so attempting the processor spoof trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back