CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
HD 4000 / GTX 560 Ti
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Looking to upgrade my older 2012 hackintosh thats running Yosemite. The processor is an older intel sandy-bridge with 32 gigs of crucial ballistic memory, both of which I plan to reuse.

Want to support OS X Catalina and dual-boot Windows, for the purpose of eventually having the option to utilize the system as an Valve VR rig.

When I build the 2012 rig it was a lot of trial and error based on my choice of motherboard... looking to avoid that experience again :)

Question is what would be the best Gigabyte mobo and Nvidia GeForce card combo for those purposes? Also would it be better to wait for an updated buying guide?

Any advise is appreciated!

Want to support OS X Catalina and dual-boot Windows, for the purpose of eventually having the option to utilize the system as an Valve VR rig.
You can do the Catalina install with your HD4000 graphics as that is supported in Catalina. If you want VR though you'll want to get an AMD RX 570 or 580. There is no upgrade path for your Ivy Bridge CPU. If you want a new Coffee Lake system you can't use your current ram. Only DDR4 ram will work. You'd have to buy most everything new except case, PSU and drives.

@trs96 thanks for the reply!

So no use of the Ivy Bridge at all? Damn, that changes my plans.
Sounds like it would be more cost effective to just use the mobo I have now and get a GPU.
Why AMD over Nvidia?

@trs96 thanks for the reply!

So no use of the Ivy Bridge at all? Damn, that changes my plans.
Sounds like it would be more cost effective to just use the mobo I have now and get a GPU.
Why AMD over Nvidia?

Intel has regularly changed CPU sockets over the past few years and every 2-3 years the new CPUs will NOT be compatible with older motherboards and the new motherboards will NOT be compatible with older CPUs. So you will have to replace your motherboard AND CPU (and RAM also since DDR3 is no longer used in new motherboards) if you want a current system.

Apple has switched to using AMD GPUs over the past few years and current GTX 10xx / 16xx and RTX 20xx cards are not supported in Mojave and later due to lack of Nvidia web drivers. So you will have to get an AMD card if you want a dedicated graphics card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back